Regular M1 vs. M1 EP ?

Other than a lower price - is there any cleaning or performance benefit(s) to using regular (i.e. Vanilla) M1 vs. M1 EP - or does M1 EP simply provide longer protection due to additives and esters ?

Some thoughts here:

Some thoughts here:
Based on the VOA's it appears M1 EP wins in the over all add pack ...

Other than a lower price - is there any cleaning or performance benefit(s) to using regular (i.e. Vanilla) M1 vs. M1 EP - or does M1 EP simply provide longer protection due to additives and esters ?

Frankly in California I'd run the M1 for 7500 miles and do a UOA I'd pull it up through the dipstick. If it looks good I'd continue to 10,000 miles and run another one. Then you'd really under stand how the oil and your car stood with this. Other wise Just go with two OCI a year. I don't even worry about the mileage I've seen 7154 and a low of 4,000. Car runs really great and never uses more than short of a half a quart to a cup.

EP has more pao has well... Nothing wrong at all with regular M-1.

Candidly I think Mobil 1 was a tier all by itself back in the 70s through the 80s and through most if not all of the 90s...

Now it's top tier = Mobil 1 EP

2nd tier = Mobil 1

3rd tier = Mobil Super-synthetic

4th tier = Mobil Super

And... Trailer park tier = Mobil Special :LOL:

Frankly in California I'd run the M1 for 7500 miles and do a UOA I'd pull it up through the dipstick. If it looks good I'd continue to 10,000 miles and run another one. Then you'd really under stand how the oil and your car stood with this. Other wise Just go with two OCI a year. I don't even worry about the mileage I've seen 7154 and a low of 4,000. Car runs really great and never uses more than short of a half a quart to a cup.
*Do you feel changing the oil twice a year with less than 7,500 miles with a GDI engine is still in the ball park of protection with regular M1 ?

I used to run EP but when I realized I was not really doing long OCI's to reap the benefits, I went back to regular M1 and HM M1. My changes average 6k-7k miles and regular M1 handles that fine. If I were running longer OCI's I would use the EP.

*Do you feel changing the oil twice a year with less than 7,500 miles with a GDI engine is still in the ball park of protection with regular M1 ?

I don't like doing it when its 90 outside or when its 20 or raining. So October and April suit me just fine. Its usually easy to find a nice day in there someplace. I'm skipping this Oct due to low mileage and the Pandemic April will work fine right now the oil only has 1800 miles on it. Yes I do think its pretty close to a ball park figure for me because of my UOA.

There was a NOACK & Sulfated Ash discussion here a few months ago (wish I could find the thread) where EP was found to have slightly better numbers for both. I switched my Focus to it in an attempt to keep valve deposits to a minimum.

I only buy Mobil 1 when they are offering a rebate, this year they decided to offer $10 for vanilla and $12 for EP thus negating in slightly higher retail price of EP.

I have used both M1 vanilla and EP in my Subaru and even if I am not intending to use the oil for "extended performance" I would still use EP just because it is noticably quieter with better performance. The only vanilla M1 products I am at all interested in using are 0w40 and 0w30 AFE.

personally I would be a sport and spring for the extra 75 cents per quart for M-1 EP on perma-sale for $24 a jug.

Went to check wife’s Grand Marquis. 200k miles. An absolute wreck except for regular 6K M-1 oil changes. Last had its oil changed in early March. M-1 EP. Oil loss on regular M-1 had stopped completely and oil looked brand new.

Off-point, but the moral of the story is that there’s way more to maintenance than being careful about oil changes and quality.

Back