Regular M1 vs. M1 EP ?

There's no point running M1EP if I'm draining at 7,500-mile intervals. M1 vanilla is rated at 10,000 miles and fine for most drivers.
10k miles of good highway driving could be basically equivalent to 4k miles of short commute driving (like I do with my car in the summer). People seem to forget not all miles are equal. You need to put it into context.

A lot of my friends and family drive such short commutes if they wanted to go 6k miles they should probably use EP, although any oil is going to be have a lot of fuel and moisture in it by that point.

10k miles of good highway driving could be basically equivalent to 4k miles of short commute driving (like I do with my car in the summer). People seem to forget not all miles are equal. You need to put it into context.

A lot of my friends and family drive such short commutes if they wanted to go 6k miles they should probably use EP, although any oil is going to be have a lot of fuel and moisture in it by that point.
Good points. For about $2-$3 more for a 5 qt. jug of EP, [@ Walmart regular price, sales can close the gap] I see no reason not to use EP. Overkill or not.

Yes it could be... maybe/maybe not. But your point is correct and well taken, I shouldn't just say "ABC oil is good for ### miles" as a blanket statement. For some reason I assume people follow the owner's manual maintenance intervals for normal service vs severe service (or the OLM), which as we know is not always the case. I don't think it matters whether the oil used is regular or long-life, the actual use of the vehicle / driving habits should determine the service intervals. And I would not use 7.5k mile service intervals if my driving habits qualified as severe service.

Yes it could be... maybe/maybe not. But your point is correct and well taken, I shouldn't just say "ABC oil is good for ### miles" as a blanket statement. For some reason I assume people follow the owner's manual maintenance intervals for normal service vs severe service (or the OLM), which as we know is not always the case. I don't think it matters whether the oil used is regular or long-life, the actual use of the vehicle / driving habits should determine the service intervals. And I would not use 7.5k mile service intervals if my driving habits qualified as severe service.
I look at the normal/severe service an extreme oversimplification. Even it is too much for a lot of people to understand.

A 2 mile drive to work and back every day is a lot different than a 6 mile drive, which is a lot different than a 15 mile drive which is a lot different than a 100 mile drive per day.

Some people can go 20k miles on an oil change because they drive 100 miles a day on the highway driving a steady 60mph. If they drive 50 miles a day maybe a 10k mile OCI is sufficient. How much time has passed, and many other factors affect oil life, which is why oil life monitors were developed in the first place.

Back