Regular M1 10W30 vs. High Mileage M1 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group,
I am going to do an oil change this weekend on my 2004 300M Special. I am going to do a seafoam treatment, then do a engine flush....I wanted to get M1 10W30, but the local WalMart only had the M1 High Mileage 10W30. I am assuming that the only difference is the additive pack. Is this true? Should I worry about using it in a car with 29k miles?

TIA

Quote:

You could use the HM 10w30 w/o worry, but a better choice would be M1 5w30.

With only 29K, seafoam and an engine flush are not necessary, and perhaps do more harm than good.

The person that owned this car prior to me didn't take very good care of the mechanicals of the car...it was a leased car. I changed the plugs @ 28k...and they were a wreck. My guess is from running regular unleaded in the car when it calls for premimum. So, I am giving it a good Seafoam cleaning, and oil flush....going to short change the oil again after this....and see how it goes!!

ARX it, if you're that worried about the engine to do two short OCIs of M1. It would be about the same cost and do a lot more to clean your engine and ring packs.
twocents.gif

I think you'd get way more value for your money doing it this way.

Is there a difference between the two oils beyond the label? Besides viscosity is there any difference between any of the Mobil 1 oils? Some here don't even think M1 is real synthetic. It's pretty darn expensive what ever it is. And has anyone produced a uoa that's any better than other brands? In fact is there any difference between any of the oils based on warranty intervals? How could we ever know since there is no practical way to test oil in the real world, one against the other.

I have a half quart of M1 EX 15W50 and a half quart of regular M1 15W50 and the EX is definitely a bit thicker.

I was at Target tonight and they have regular M1 for about $4 a quart and the EX for just a bit over $4 a quart. That`s the cheapest I`ve ever seen it! Would the EX version give better high speed extended highway run protection?

Also............why is Walmart the only place that carries the 5 quart jugs?

You don't need to do anything except change the oil at this juncture... I'd use M1 5w-30.

Mobil 1 is not thin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back