Regular Air Filter instead of Cabin Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would it hurt to put a regular air filter inplace of a cabin air filter(CAF) if they both were the same size or very close? I need to change the wife's Tribute CAF but it is 3X the cost of a regular air filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Cabin Air Filters filter to a finer level, so no, it won't work.

Do you mean Engine Air Filters filter to a finer level, i.e., more restricted than CAF ? Therefore it doesn't work ?

There are someones who cut the Filtrete home air filter to fit the size of the CAF. If you buy the largest size, you can cut up to 6-10 CAF's.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1153139

Last edited:
Cabin air filters also contain other features such as activated charcoal and such to filter and eliminate odors.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Why would you replace the CAF ??...

Because there is a recommmended replacement interval per OEM.

I take the 2 CAF's in my Uplander out about 4 times a year and vacuum them thoroughly, they still look good and the air flow seems as good as ever. Why would you replace the CAF ??...

Why spend so much time vacuuming out a cheap CAF?

I don't know where you live, but I've pulled out many CAFs with 15,000 miles and they look fairly dirty and definitely not serviceable.

My cabin air filters get dirty much quicker than my engine air filters... perhaps two to four times quicker.

Cabin filters are high priced.
If you can get a regular air filter to work in there, I'd go for it.
filtering? Probably not as good.
But consider it is 10+ times better than regular cars with no filter at all!

If you have to contend with allergy material, then maybe a charcoal type factory filter is better.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
My cabin air filters get dirty much quicker than my engine air filters... perhaps two to four times quicker.

My S2000 Cabin Air Filter is dirtier much quicker than Engine Air Filter, but the opposite for the other two cars LS400 and E430.

I think it all depends on the environment.....obviously, driving in dusty, dirty, muddy areas will require replacement more often.

As far as modified house hold filters for use in the cabin air filter slot, sure, go ahead if you are in a pimch; it's better than nothing; but the modern/regular CAF's have other materials within to aide in filtering, as mentioned, activated charcoal, or in the case of the FRAM "Fresh Breeze" they have baking soda within too, to help freshen odors as they pass through the filter.

Something I've learned, if you ride with the windows down a lot, be sure the "FAN" and AC switch is Off too. No point in "filtering" the outside air with your windows open...now, if you got the windows rolled up, go ahead and adjust the ac/fan as appropriate.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I take the 2 CAF's in my Uplander out about 4 times a year and vacuum them thoroughly, they still look good and the air flow seems as good as ever. Why would you replace the CAF ??...

Why spend so much time vacuuming out a cheap CAF?

I don't know where you live, but I've pulled out many CAFs with 15,000 miles and they look fairly dirty and definitely not serviceable.

I live in Canada, right between Detroit and Cleveland and those CAF's aren't cheap here.... 2 mins with the vacuum and it's good to go. Why would I buy new ones??.....
Do you wash your socks or buy new ones ?

Actually I vacuum them more often than 4 times a year, probably closer to 6-7 times. They never get too dirty.

Do you wash your socks or buy new ones ?

I think a better comparison would be to a paper tissue - how many times would you blow your nose in one?

We are talking about breathing in some potential nastiness - there may be mold growing in those filters - you won't be able to just vacuum it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back