Regional food oddities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of military commissaries carry B&M brown bread around here. Regular grocery stores don't anymore. Talk to any buddy you have who is active or retired military and see if he can get some for you. If you're unable to find someone who can visit a commissary, the Vermont Country Store was carrying it but at a high price.

The closest thing to a delicacy in Tidewater Virginia is the cheap red sausages that T. O. Williams packs in Portsmouth. My brother missed the nasty things so much that he got a bunch to take back to New Hampshire the last time he visited here. Well, probably should mention Chesapeake Bay blue crab and its soft-shelled variant too.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
We used to love that stuff as kids. Used to be common in California...1960's-1980's....I think it can be had Wash. St as well???

I remember ot from the 1950s in California. You can get it from Amazon.com now
cool.gif

Only real oddity I can think of in this area is pasties. It was a U.P. (yes, Yooper) thing that started to filter down this way. A pasty is nothing more than meat and potatoes in a soft dough wrapper. Kind of like a pot pie without the pot.

If you ever have an opportunity to try one, pass.

They're the most bland tasteless thing I've ever eaten. Of course, there's people up here that think ketchup is just a little too spicy for them.

I live in the wrong state...I like things that are more native to the southwest like habeneros, jalapenos, etc. I could eat good Mexican food every day of the week. Only problem is finding a good Mexican restaurant up here in the middle of Wisconsin. Bratwurst, Friday fish fry, and fast food is really all there is, although the Hmong people are quite concentrated (for lack of a better term) around my area, and they have some excellent foods. There's a few Lao and Vietnamese restaurants around here that are like nothing I've ever tasted!

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
Only real oddity I can think of in this area is pasties. It was a U.P. (yes, Yooper) thing that started to filter down this way. A pasty is nothing more than meat and potatoes in a soft dough wrapper. Kind of like a pot pie without the pot.

The pasty was originaly Cornish so any area that had Cornish miners stands a good chance of having pasties. There are pasty shops in Grass Valley and Nevada City California becuse there used to be Cornish miners there duing the gold mining era and many of their descendant still live there. You could probably find them in other Sierra Nevada towns with a hard rock mining history.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
What makes me smile is when someone asks if I want white bread or wheat bread. As if white bread is made of something else.

There's nothing about either one of those types of bread that would make me smile
rolleyes.gif

Cuy (Guninea Pig) in Peru. It's considered a delacacy and often the highest priced item on the menu.

Chicken Testicles in China. In Chinese they don't have separate words for chicken and rooster, so it's Chicken Testicles when literally translated on a menu.

Jellyfish is kinda wierd too, a Lot like eating rubber bands.

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:

If you ever have an opportunity to try one, pass.

They're the most bland tasteless thing I've ever eaten. Of course, there's people up here that think ketchup is just a little too spicy for them.

I live in the wrong state...I like things that are more native to the southwest like habeneros, jalapenos, etc. I could eat good Mexican food every day of the week. Only problem is finding a good Mexican restaurant up here in the middle of Wisconsin. Bratwurst, Friday fish fry, and fast food is really all there is, although the Hmong people are quite concentrated (for lack of a better term) around my area, and they have some excellent foods. There's a few Lao and Vietnamese restaurants around here that are like nothing I've ever tasted!

What?! Not much can touch a good pasty (flaky outside, moist but not soggy inside). Always one of my favorite foods growing up. Of course, I'm a lot closer to the UP than you- always been a part of our diet. Plus going to school in Houghton makes me an honorary Yooper anyway. And BTW, I do love spicy food also, even if my digestive tract doesn't always....
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back