Regal Haldex info....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this hasn't been linked before
27.gif
????

It's from Feb. 2010 on the GMI-site. Shows a good pic of a Transfer-Case?

Haldex....

Faron

Factory haldex can suck a golf ball through a garden hose, and is infinitely inferior to a vehicle with mechanical, Torsten diffs.
A haldex car with a haldex controller, otoh, can be fun to play around with if you wish to gain a better understanding of vehicle dynamics

Last edited:
Hmmmm...

I realize it's not the exact same unit obviously, but the wildly expensive Bugatti Veyrons have a permanent AWD Haldex traction system.
Maybe you should tell that to the Bugatti designers. They seem to know what they're doing....

Just sayin'!
12.gif

Faron

Thing is, as ana electric system handed works off request, where Torsten has infinite variability and works instantly, on a demand basis.

The more elegant solution just so happens to have won the WRC
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
Thing is, as ana electric system handed works off request, where Torsten has infinite variability and works instantly, on a demand basis.

The more elegant solution just so happens to have won the WRC
wink.gif

The Haldex system in question, fourth gen (aka XWD), is not a "part-time" system. It is a continuously variable electro-hydraulic system that also features an eLSD. It uses fluid pressure, not a simple on/off electromagnet clutch or gerotor pump, to control torque both at the center diff (aka coupling) and across the rear diff.

It is just as variable as a Torsen system, sometimes even more so if the COF is low enough, and is also predictive, being able to proactively vector torque, something Torsen is unable to do.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with an AWD system using a Torsen diff center and rear, like many Audis use. However, it is no more favorable to a high-performance electro-hydraulic system like Haldex fourth gen, Honda SH-AWD, or any other system that incorporates a torque vectoring component like ZF VectorDrive.

Interesting stuff there guys!

All-in-all, I'm glad our Regal has a pretty decent AWD-system for the class/segment it's in. I'm excited to "feel it" in action! Fargo just missed a big snow-system. It went to our south. I kinda wanted to see what the Regal would do in new snow/ice!

Faron

Originally Posted By: FaronJ
Interesting stuff there guys!

All-in-all, I'm glad our Regal has a pretty decent AWD-system for the class/segment it's in. I'm excited to "feel it" in action! Fargo just missed a big snow-system. It went to our south. I kinda wanted to see what the Regal would do in new snow/ice!

Faron

I am quite sure that you will get to 'test it out' during this upcoming REAL winter, especially in your locale.
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back