Refrigerant leak through sensor wiring harness?

JHZR2

Staff member
Have a look…

CD798DBE-B9E9-4E08-8DC3-9129D711B475.jpeg
A0B9F22B-B551-4EC0-A42B-15F63E60B5B7.jpeg

In that wiring connector is dye and oil. Note, the spot where the wire connects to the red high pressure sensor body is sealed with a green epoxy.

But in the wiring connector is oil and green dye. It wasn’t there last week that I recall. The harness isn’t wet, it’s coming from the wire itself.

Has anyone seen this before? Refrigerant leak via a wiring harness?

It’s not enough to register a pressure change in the week since I filled it.

If this is the case, Ill probably have the system recovered, flushed, and filled with mineral oil to prep for r-12.

Stranger things have happened
I know VWs like to have oil and or coolant forced down through the harness when a respective sensor/switch fails or leaks internally

Does the switch have a Schrader behind it, allowing a swap without a charge R&R?

Not uncommon for sensors to have a seal fail and wick oil up through the wiring. Seen it with transmission sensors, engine oil pressure sensors.

Btw. That receiver drier looks like it needs to be replaced.
Why? Just because of the surface rust?

The hoses definitely have some light surface corrosion, looks worse in photos with artificial light than in real life.

If/when I open the system to replace the sensor leaking out, it will definitely get a replacement r/d.

Reactions: hrv
Stranger things have happened
I know VWs like to have oil and or coolant forced down through the harness when a respective sensor/switch fails or leaks internally

Does the switch have a Schrader behind it, allowing a swap without a charge R&R?
ah yes the old coolant level sensor

pressurized expansion bottle would force coolant through sensor wires to the fuse box, and a few people had coolant literally everywhere after the coolant made it through the whole harness.

ah yes the old coolant level sensor

pressurized expansion bottle would force coolant through sensor wires to the fuse box, and a few people had coolant literally everywhere after the coolant made it through the whole harness.
Only VW would have people confused

"I went to change my tail light bulb, but there's purple goo leaking from the wiring"

G12 coolant 😲

R-12 systems used sight glasses because it was a way to verify it was full. This is a high quality 1991 car after all.

Only ones with TXVs and receiver-dryers. CCOT (cycling clutch orifice tube) R12 systems did not usually, if ever, get a sight glass.

Back