Refreshing my 88 BMW 325ic

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested:
After 22 years of service I decided to refresh my 325ic. Engine and transmission are still untouched and going strong. I use this car mostly to commute up the mountain to my office.

I had changed the top about 10 years ago, and re-did the leather interior about 6 years ago, but this time it was a complete paint job, re-dying the top and cleaning up the windows.

More pics and details are here:
http://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Other/bmw.html

page40-1001-full.jpg

page40-1026-full.jpg

I have stuck with the '88 528e. My first one, named the Borman6, lasted 350k miles without getting further into the engine than a used set of injectors. The only weak point on an M20 engine is the timing belt. The interval is only 60 k miles/4 yrs. It is an easy job and uses only 30$ worth of parts to replace.

While channel surfing, I came across an old movie "Birds on Wire" starring Goldie Hawn and whats-his-name-antisemitic-went-crazy and the 3-series BMW convertible. It was I think from similar vintage or could have been even earlier.

Great car!

- Vikas

P.S. just remembered the actors name, Mel Gibson

Originally Posted By: Vikas
While channel surfing, I came across an old movie "Birds on Wire" starring Goldie Hawn and whats-his-name-antisemitic-went-crazy and the 3-series BMW convertible. It was I think from similar vintage or could have been even earlier.

Great car!

- Vikas

P.S. just remembered the actors name, Mel Gibson

I'll have to look for that. Goldie went to High School with me.

Nice, I have a 4dr E30 and it is a great commuter car. MT is set up just right so even heavy traffic is a breeze.

Mine may need some paint at some point, there are a few panels showing their age.

I'd still like to have a 325is in the stable someday- maybe go with an M52 engine swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back