Reduced Pennz Plat choices at my Wal-Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed in my local (70 miles away) that they now have a reduced number of Pennzoil Platinum choices. Down to 5w/20, 5w30, and 10w30. Gone is the 0w/30 and I think they had been carrying 0w/20 as well. I can't tell what else is missing,but their overall selection seemed greatly reduced.

I had planned to go to an 0w/20 year around in my van and 0w/30 year around in my Colorado. I guess I will have to switch to Mobil1 for my 0w/ choices. The good part is that Mobil 1 is priced comparable to PP prices. Has anyone else notice a reduction of oil choices at Wal-Mart?

Never seen the 0w20 in my area stores, but then again I refuse to use any Pennzoil or QS products considering how they handled the rebates.

They only carry 5w30 and 5w20 at the San Diego Walmarts. Wish they would carry 0w20. Would love to use it on my wife's Nissan. Instead I will be using Napa synthetic.

The only store in my area that carries PP 0W20 is PB, and that is only in the past few months. I saw it when stock piling M1 AFE.

I think I saw 0w-20 at one W-M, once, among the 5 available stores. I used to be a big fan of PP, but lateley I've switched to the 0w-20 and 30 M1 offerings. Two oils for all our vehicles is a good thing for me.

Mobil 1 is king at Walmart and in the synthetic market at large as well. Good to see even more PP offerings but if it's not moving at Walmart it will be gone for sure, they are all about volume.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Mobil 1 is king at Walmart and in the synthetic market at large as well. Good to see even more PP offerings but if it's not moving at Walmart it will be gone for sure, they are all about volume.

Very true, and not A LOT of the "general public" (non BITOGer's) use or understand 0w oils. Like the OP said, you still have M1 which you can't go wrong with, so just use that instead if you wish. PP 5w20/30 would work fine for you I'm sure (even in your climate).

Last edited:
There is not 0w20 or 0w30 PP at any of the nearby WalMarts here. One thing I find disappointing is that the WalMart near me is terrible at stocking things.

They have like 3 whole aisles dedicated to Mobil 1 that never seems to disappear, yet they either have 1 bottle or no bottles left of Pennzoil Platinum. The same goes for conventional oil. They have 2 full shelves of untouched Valvoline white bottle, but the Quaker State and Pennzoil Yellow Bottle shelves are wiped clean EVERY time I go there.

They also never have gear oil. There is one bottle left that someone opened, and the same one has been there for months now.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Noticed in my local (70 miles away) that they now have a reduced number of Pennzoil Platinum choices. Down to 5w/20, 5w30, and 10w30. Gone is the 0w/30 and I think they had been carrying 0w/20 as well. I can't tell what else is missing,but their overall selection seemed greatly reduced.

I had planned to go to an 0w/20 year around in my van and 0w/30 year around in my Colorado. I guess I will have to switch to Mobil1 for my 0w/ choices. The good part is that Mobil 1 is priced comparable to PP prices. Has anyone else notice a reduction of oil choices at Wal-Mart?

Thats whats nice about using Mobil-1, You can always get it.
grin.gif

So I just got a reply from Pennzoil. My question to them was they don't supply walmart with PP 0w20.

Dear Martin Rodriguez,

Thank you for contacting Shell Consumer Services.

We'd like to appreciate you for giving us a heads up before you
switched to our competititor. Rest assured that we have taken
seriously your point and your point has been raised to the
appropriate Resolution Owner.

Should you need to call us further assistance, you may dial our new
Shell US Consumer Services hotline at 1-877-536-6324. Kindly follow
the prompts from our new and improved IVR menu.

Thank you for choosing Shell.

Sincerely,
Lorraine Magpantay
Shell Consumer Services - Shell Lubricants US
Emai: [email protected]
Phone No: 1-877-536-6324
Fax No: 713-217-3310

The material in this email may be confidential, privileged and/or
protected by copyright. Use of this e-mail should be limited
accordingly. If this email has been sent to you in error, please
contact us immediately.
Shell Shared Services (Asia), B.V.
21st Floor, Solaris One
130 Dela Rosa Street, Legaspi Village, Makati City
1229 Philippines

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 00:12:56 -0800 you wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I am a huge fan of Pennzoil Platinum and would love to see the 0w20
PP in
>Walmart. At the moment all Walmarts in San Diego and Los Angeles
only carry
>5w20 and 5w30. More and more cars require 0w20 now and would love to
keep
>using PP. If not, I will be forced to use Mobil1.
>
>Thanks!
Martin

Just got back from my local Walmart...they barely had any PP in stock. Ended up with 0w20 Mobil. I usually buy all of my oils from Walmart unless AZ or Oreilly's has a special on synthetic.

My local Wally's had always had a poor oil section. They're frequently out of MC 5W-20 for long intervals, and have never had 0W-xx of any kind other than M1 AFE.

PP 0W-20 is regularly a stocked item at Walmart in my area of Canada at least. But at $9.90/qt you'd be crazy to buy it when the superior TGMO costs only $5.65/L.
M1 0W-20 is also carried but it's priced even worse at almost 11 bucks/L, a bit by the jug.

Several of the Wally's around us stock both PP and QSUD 0W-20.
I bought a jug of PP to take advaneage of the MIR and will do the same with QSUD.
Almost all stock M1 AFE 0W-20 as well as Synpower 0W-20.
The AFE can be had in jugs, but the Synpower comes only in quarts, at a ridiculous $6.97 each.

New Englanders will have a better oil selection soon if Wal Mart keeps the empty shelves.O'Reilly announced plans to buy VIP auto parts by the end of the year.VIP will keep the tire business and service bays though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back