Redline Watercraft Oil Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Redline Watercraft oil and Redline All Sport oil for water and air cooled applications respectively. I've only run the Watercraft oil in an occasionally used small outboard for about a year and the Allsport in lawn tools for maybe 4 years. All run with basically no visible smoke at 50:1 or 32:1 depending on the application and don't seem to foul plugs and they all run like new.

I've seen some knocks against Redline 2-stroke oils regarding corrosion and such. It seems some of this was with their kart and/or racing oils.

I was hoping some people would chime in. We hear a lot about Amsoil an MX2T (for air-cooled purposes) 2-stroke oils but not much discussion about Redline's products in this area. While I've been happy with these products, I'm also not married to them.

Thanks,
Matt

While it is not possible for me to test every two stroke oil available, I have tried to test the best. Redline Racing oil has been the ONLY oil that has failed miserably. I have used many of Redlines products in various applications without any issues of note. The RR oil is the exception.

One thing to consider is that RR oil is similar to a number of other Redline two stroke products. I did speak with the engineer at Redline and he was honest about the makeup of the various oils. He also mentioned that the formula would not be changed to eliminate the brass corrosion issue, as he considered it a non issue. I do not consider the corrosion problems of RR oil a non issue, especially when it affects the crankshaft.

A blanket statement like do not use Redline two stroke oils may or may not be valid. The only way to tell would be to check one formula against another.

However I will say that RR oil has a wonderful write-up on the bottle and on the website. This might lead you to believe there is a quality product inside the bottle. That just is not so.

Chris

txmatt, Cujet and Blano are our resident gurus on the subject of 2-stroke oils. Both have a similar opinion of Red Line's racing 2-stroke oil ... and I do not doubt that the results they describe (almost all bad: increased wear, corrosion and fouling) are based on their actual experience with the stuff ... some of that was extensive (a full season of racing, etc ...).

But there was one member here over a year ago who owned a Quicksilver ultralight aircraft who swore by Red Line All-Sport. He used it in that neat machine as well as other, more mundane 2-stroke applications. After all the talk here of Red Line's ester chemistry causing corrosion, he pulled the bottom of his motor off to check for corrosion (it was off-season and was in storage) but found none. He also had a co-worker who had some sort of special application (tree-trimmer mounted on a vehicle ... helicopter?) which saw heavy use and supposedly, switching from a non-specified mineral 2-stroke oil to the All-Sport increased the life of the machine between rebuilds two or three fold.
shocked.gif

Hey, I'd welcome any other input on Red Line's All-Sport, based on actual use. I gave a bottle to my brother to use in his daughter's child-sized snow mobile but that seems to me to be a very low-stress application and he sold the machine last year, anyway. Nothing to report.
frown.gif

Right now I'm swimming in old 2-stroke oil ... and all I use it for is an old Stihl chainsaw and trimmer. Not gonna buy anymore of any brand anytime soon. Actually, I'm looking for ways to use it up ... rather than dumping it in with the used oil from our cars.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

That's good to hear about the Allsport. I'm pretty sure Allsport and Watersport are very similar with the difference being they're designed to function at the different operating temps of air and water cooled engines. I don't know how simialr they are to the racing 2-stroke oils.

Matt

I am very happy to read the good report on the Redline Allsport oil. As I mentioned, Redlines other products are quality. The engineer I spoke with was honest and smart. I am sure he suggested another product for my use, however I chose not to take the risk.

Chris

offtopic.gif
FWIW, I run Polaris Synthetic in my 2000 Polaris PWC. Mostly because I'm afraid to run anything else. It has a bunch of hours on it and still runs like new. I switched to syn in 2001, it costs more but I save more than that from buying less spark plugs. It simply does not foul plugs running on the synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back