redline vs. RP vs. M1 vs. schaeffers vs. amsoil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive heard great things about all of them and done some searches, im just curious if they are comparable in quality and if the differences are neglegable or if there is a superior one for a certain condition or just an all out superior one, heard some contradictory things on camaroz28.com and im kinda confused. Someone said redline produced some of the best oil analysis results theve seen and that royal purple is not quit that good and that mobil 1 is ok, then another person came back with RP is the best there ever was and M1 sucks and amsoil snd redline are ok.... no idea what to believe....and like everyon ide like the best stuff in my car so maybe a real comparison of all the top notch oils is in order, maybe there has been one and I didnt come across it in the search... Thanks!

[ September 14, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: 94 formula ]

From reading this forum I've gathered:

M1 will satisfy the needs of 99% of drivers/conditions out there.

The 1% that frequent this board will debate RL, AMS, RP, and Schaeffers forever.

I use RL personally, only because I run a lot of Road Course events in a heavily boosted(28psi) 1.8L VW....all my other cars are on M1, except for my beater, which gets whatever is the cheapest 10w30 and filter at the time Im in the store.

Well if you spend lots of time on this board you will probably conclude:

Redline has the most heavy duty additive package with a very very high level of moly and is composed of what most would consider a superior base. Its a high performance oil which may not be suited for extended drain intervals.

Royal Purple seems like a good oil but we don't see enough analysis on it. I doesn't appear to be good for extended drain intervals as well as Mobil 1/Amsoil

Mobil1 and Amsoil seem pretty equal to me. Both good solid oils with can easily do extended drain intervals and are high performance oils for 99% of folks. Short of all out racing applications.

Just an opinion here though
smile.gif

I agree with Al, except Amsoil 0w-30 S2k might be a tad better then Mobil 1. This is as of right now though. Amsoil reformulates more often then M1 because they are a blender.

The German Castrol has really looked good so far in UOAs, but it is very hard to find and I have given up trying to figure out what games Castrol may be playing. It would be nice also if the German Castrol was available in more viscosities.

The more I think about it the more I think that Schaeffer's Oil is awfully hard to beat. The blend costs about $3.00 a quart, less than half of what Redline costs. I had a really good UOA using Schaeffer's Oil, and I drove under very hard conditions with that oil in my car.

Unless you drive a car like a Corvette that requires synthetic oil, there are conventional motor oils like Chevron that sure can get the job done-you just have to change the oil every 3000-5000 miles.

There have been good and not so good UOA's posted, with all the oils mentioned. I am starting to believe that each engine is different, and you may have to experiment to find out what works in your engine.

quote:

I am starting to believe that each engine is different, and you may have to experiment to find out what works in your engine.

You couldn't be more correct!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Well if you spend lots of time on this board you will probably conclude:

Redline has the most heavy duty additive package with a very very high level of moly and is composed of what most would consider a superior base. Its a high performance oil which may not be suited for extended drain intervals.

Royal Purple seems like a good oil but we don't see enough analysis on it. I doesn't appear to be good for extended drain intervals as well as Mobil 1/Amsoil

Mobil1 and Amsoil seem pretty equal to me. Both good solid oils with can easily do extended drain intervals and are high performance oils for 99% of folks. Short of all out racing applications.

Just an opinion here though
smile.gif

I'm disappointed..
frown.gif
you made no mention about the schaeffers as that was one he listed as well. why does schaeffers get over looked in cases like this I wonder?
dunno.gif
grin.gif

Bob, Al mentions Schaeffer Oil on here a lot actually, so it was probably just a simple oversight. He even made a post yesterday about his plans to run 10w30 Supreme in the car he was previously running the Schaeffer 5w30 full synthetic in.

It is a shame that Schaeffer Oil doesn't get mentioned as much in here anymore, especially since it's a better oil than Mobil 1, which gets mentioned an awful lot.

Bob,

Availability and advertising...I think Schaeffer's suffers from not being easier to obtain and from the fact (a good thing) that Schaeffers does not engage in outlandish oneupsmanship in the advertising arena. It has nothing to do with performance, a lot to do with familiarity and notoriety.

quote:

It is a shame that Schaeffer Oil doesn't get mentioned as much in here anymore, especially since it's a better oil than Mobil 1, which gets mentioned an awful lot

Patman, Schaeffer's is not a better oil then Mobil 1. I think thats a bit ridicoulous. It's a good oil though no doubt. For long drains a PAO is essential. You can't base everything off of only a few UOA's especially the LS1 engine.

The reason I don't mention Schaeffer's is because I've never in my life seen a bottle on the shelf nor have I heard of it. Why would anyone order Schaeffers and pay shipping costs when you can go to the story and buy a full PAO synthetic for $4qt?

In short drains (under 10k), Schaeffer Oil has shown better wear numbers than M1. Terry Dyson will confirm this.

quote:

In short drains (under 10k), Schaeffer Oil has shown better wear numbers than M1

I don't doubt it, but to say it's better over all in all situations/cars and when you factor in availability, it's not it's not worth it.
smile.gif

I think that the biggest problem with Schaeffer's supreme, is that it is a blend. That fact makes it very hard for most people to put it on the same level with the true full synthetics, despite the excellent UOA's and terry's input and testimonial. It is just a little hard to swallow, even with the great deal of evidence, of matching the performance of most synthetics in short intervals. I admit that I am in this category as well. No offense to Bob or schaeffer's.

[ September 15, 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

You have to give Schaeffer Oil credit for being honest though. Technically speaking their 5w30 "blend" could be called a full synthetic. It's got more synthetic materials in it than Syntec 5w30, Valvoline Synpower 5w30, etc. Those "synthetics" are almost entirely group 3 with possibly a tiny bit of esters, while Schaeffer's 5w30 blend has a nice 20-25% mix of PAO and the rest is group 3. (Their 10w30 blend uses the same amount of PAO but uses group 2+ in place of the group 3)

Yep.......Hats off to Schaeffer's on that one. I honestly believe that their oils are formulated very well, and I am not trying to degrade them in any way, shape or form.

no fighting now, ill look at some oil analysis results from similar engines as mine adn see what I like... keep teh opinions coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back