Redline vs GC vs Motul

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 07 335 with the heat producing N54 engine. My car is auto w Sport pkg but did not include the factory external oil cooler that later bld dates did. I routinely see 240-250F oil temps on sustained runs so am interested in an L L01 oil that is top rated for handling the extra heat. My Indy suggested Redline 10w30, just looking for educated feedback for future use!

Redline oils are ester base group V + handle more heat than group IV PAO oils. many "synthetics" are group III dino oils legally labeled synthetic in USA. except for the cost Redline lubes are EXCELLENT!

Originally Posted By: srbarnes4ever
am interested in an L L01 oil that is top rated for handling the extra heat. My Indy suggested Redline 10w30,

Well, Redline is not LL-01 approved.

But it is good oil.

Originally Posted By: benjy
Redline oils are ester base group V + handle more heat than group IV PAO oils. many "synthetics" are group III dino oils legally labeled synthetic in USA. except for the cost Redline lubes are EXCELLENT!

Um, isn't that a myth? Aren't MOST Redline oils mostly PAO with some POE?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 0w-40.

I'm with OVERKILL. You have a hard time beating M1 0W40, especially when you factor in price and convenience.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
GC 0W30 or the new 0W40

Maybe add a oil cooler???

Working plans for oil cooler...dang retrofit kit is almost a grand in parts.....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
am interested in an L L01 oil that is top rated for handling the extra heat. My Indy suggested Redline 10w30,

Well, Redline is not LL-01 approved.

But it is good oil.

If planning sub 7500 mile OCI, is LL01 required?

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
M1 0w-40.

I'm with OVERKILL. You have a hard time beating M1 0W40, especially when you factor in price and convenience.

Thx for all the M1 feedback...ran it exclusively in my Nissan, Infiniti and Hyundai Genesis vehicles...this LL01 thing is new to me with the Bimmers...hard to make heads or tailed of it over on the bimmer forums...lots of hate mail when one asks if it is required for 5000-7500 mile OCI but not a lot of details on why it is a bad thing.

Only one of those is actually available in stores, so that one wins by default.

But as others have said, why not M1 0w40?

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
M1 0w-40.

Thx for all the M1 feedback...ran it exclusively in my Nissan, Infiniti and Hyundai Genesis vehicles...this LL01 thing is new to me with the Bimmers...hard to make heads or tailed of it over on the bimmer forums...lots of hate mail when one asks if it is required for 5000-7500 mile OCI but not a lot of details on why it is a bad thing.

Plenty of guys running it in their M3's and M5 FWIW. It is an excellent oil that holds up very well.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I'm solidly in the M1 0W-40 camp.

But here's Redline's marketing stuff on BMW applications:

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13

Turner's BimmerWorld experience with Redline is noteworthy.

Interesting that the article is from 2009 and I don't believe their 0w-40 product existed at that time. I'm wondering if their recommendation has changed now that it does?

Bearing in mind 10w30 is not a recommended viscosity for your engine I wouldn't use it.

I have to say Mobil 1 0w40 (LL01 approved) will be perfect for your engine, it's doubtful the other oils will give you better performance.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I'm solidly in the M1 0W-40 camp.

But here's Redline's marketing stuff on BMW applications:

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13

Turner's BimmerWorld experience with Redline is noteworthy.

I like Turner generally. I've bought a lot from them and their racing experience definitely gives them some good cred. I just wouldn't take their recommendations as gospel. They also swear by UUC parts, many of which are among the worst you can buy for BMWs.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: benjy

Um, isn't that a myth? Aren't MOST Redline oils mostly PAO with some POE?

Well he did not state how much group 5 was in their base stock.
wink.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back