Redline tests Amsoil S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject/fluids/Amsoil_S2000.pdf

Not sure if anyone has seen this but it's an interesting comparison. Opinions?
wink.gif

When it comes to racing oils, redline is the benchmark. I am not surprised at the comparison. I am not sure whether the amsoil, or redline is better at extended drains.
dunno.gif

It's good to see actual tests in engines rather then benchmark lab tests. It's like anything else, Redline will test their oils and claim they are better and vice versa.
dunno.gif

Why not test these oils in the same vehicle at the same mileage? Why compare Amsoil at 300 miles to Redline at 20000? You can see the trend in the two data points they give for Amsoil, the wear data is improving. By 20000 miles for Amsoil, how do we know that it isn't better than Redline? The other Redline data points are in a whole different engine/vehicle/viscosity application.

My point is, give me an apples-to-apples comparison of the oils at the same mileage under the same conditions. What they are doing seems deceptive.

I wondered that too. Who knows what these guys do. Data can be manipulated anyway you want.

Every time I see a report paid for by the manufacturer that makes their product better than the competition, I think of the study that said cranberry juice was good for your urinary tract, it just so happens that the biggest vender of cranberries paid for that study.

I HATE this type of advertising and it doesn't do anything for me. I wish companies would be more open with their formulations and discuss EXACTLY and in detail why they formulate their oils the way the do and what they attempt to address with their formulation. I believe Redline and Amsoil are tow of the best oils out there ...... no need for this BS ......

quote:

I think of the study that said cranberry juice was good for your urinary tract,

But that is true, paid for by Cranberry people or not........
wink.gif

The Redline study, while ironically deriding Amsoil's research, is less than methodical......

Why all the crazy random numbers???
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
I believe Redline and Amsoil are tow of the best oils out there ...... no need for this BS ......

Redline and Amsoil know their own products the better than anyone. Why would you question their judgement that BS is required to sell their products?
pat.gif

quote:

BS is required to sell their products?

Good point. Both oils have there place. Amsoil is the extended drain king and Redline is more suited for racing. I think it pretty much boils down to that.

While this test does't tell the whole story, neither does Amsoils 4 ball wear test. Amsoil test compared to Redline is this: .37 to .73. Amsoil wins. Smaller the scar, better the protection. What bunch of crap that is.
rolleyes.gif

[ December 27, 2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

How old is that?

I have in my hands a 1/2 qt of the Series 2000 20W-50 Racing oil and there is no Red Line comparison on the label. This bottle is at least 2 yrs old.

As with any test, each time it is done, different results will be obtained. Also notice that graphs are graduated in tenths of mm. Thats very small but the graphs give the impression of a very large difference. If the graphs were drawn to actual scale, you could hardly seen the difference.

Since their 20W-50 was nearly identical to Amsoil 20W-50, they added the 40 wt oil to confuse the observer.

quote:

But that is true, paid for by Cranberry people or not........

But what all the hoopla fails to mention is that you would have to drink 1,000 qts a day to see any benefit from it. People are drinking one glass a day and expecting miracles.

[ December 27, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

If Redline wants to get serious, they should compare there 5w-30 to Amsoil's 5w-30 in a series of tests. This article is a bit old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back