Redline Owned by Conoco Phillipps now ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the redline website to complain about why on earth there motorcycle oils are only rated SH/SG / MA while motul, Respol, Mobil 1 , etc etc. are all rated SN MA2 and current, and I noticed on there webpage that it says something along the lines of " company of phillipps 66"

Does anyone know when this happend?

Old news, IIRC it happened quite a while ago they were owned by Spectrum and sold to COP.

I was part of an oil refinery start up team back in 1984 for the new Phillips 66 refinery in Sweeny,Texas.
This refinery is capable of formulating any base oil.

Has anyone used the new Phillips 66 engine oil, labeled "Shield".

Remember that new Phillips 66 common sftock on the NYSE was spun off from Conoco (COP) common stock about two years ago.

Last edited:
Redline has supplies available from all the SF Bay Area refiners. That's SOPUS Martinez, Chevron Richmond, former Exxon/Mobil refinery in Benicia, etc. And there is a large refinery at Avon that used to be CoP, don't know if it still is ...

There is no base stock made that they can't get in a couple hours (trucking and traffic
frown.gif
) from any one of them. And then there are the custom blenders like E.F. Houghton who will batch and send a lot of exotic mixes if requested.

Redline sits where it does, because they can get anything they need with a phone call
smile.gif

Last edited:
Redline was my favorite company ever. but after a reply to a question i had looked kind of awry i dont think i will be buying more.

When asked why redline motorcycles were still rated SG i was told that ..
Apparently SN rating is only for cars and not bikes. ( funny sincemy friends bikes and mine all call for high api ratings and since all api ratings supercede each other) And all the new API requirements all the other oil companies like motul are meeting for motorcycles are actually making there product worse since they dont have zddp - and will not protect your bike at high rpm. (funny .. because Rotella meets SN and diesel engines to my knowledge diesel engines loove zddp- also funny since my motorcycles effeccient driving light doesnt even turn off till 9000 rpm and is built to tolerate high rpms on a super regular basis) ... that wasnt even the complete email the whole thing to type again would insult my intelligence and i dont really want to go there. I've been dealing with these guys for so long and i've never had a problem. my money will support another american business from now on. not only not factual, but aggressive marketing. something tells me before big oil companies took over them things were diffrent.

To this i say - why on earth did you upgrade your automotive line of oils then?
sleep.gif
...not listening anymore.

I will give it to them though - thats aggressive marketing. this is the good ole way of marketing in the west. something tells me before big oil took over them things were diffrent.

I humbly submit my resignation from Redline products
grin.gif

Last edited:
I don't get your posts. Redline does not have an API SN certified PCMO nor any other certification. Their product line is all "recommended for".

What "posts" I only made one.

I got your email - i wasnt particularly agitated by you, it was the other guy that replied to the email that had me laughing out loud.

I thought you made a typo on the email when you said that it was never submitted to anyone to meet any rating so i didn't say anything ... but i noticed you just said it again in your above post..
something along the lines of
"redline products do not submit there oils to SAE or any other corporation to have there oils meet any standard" was on the email.

funny because I could swear I had a bottle I just threw away right now laying around somewhere that says API SN on it.. and another virgin bottle I just dumped in autozone recycling that said REdline API Sn.

I apologize - I don't want an argument or anything - I wont even reply to you again but I will be telling my friends.

God bless - and I apologize if my behavior was less than christian.

Last edited:
ah sorry then. .. I figured as much - Dave from redline was actually pretty kind. my apologies.

No worries. If you have a issue with your dealings with a particular individual you can rise your concerns with his/her supervisor. This being said I doubt Redline has degraded in its performance.

Simple, I don't know what to say. The bottle I discarded clearly did say API SN to my truest recollection, I got this from the 20w50 (copy and paste)

MORE TECHNICAL INFORMATION

MEETS THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS:

API SN/SM/SL
ACEA A3

Are you telling me these guys are fine print lying in size 15 letters?

I dont think they would have a defective ego large enough to lie so blatantly. That would be rediculous.

I mean - they clearly say meets VW 502 bmw LL-01 etc... how can it be a suitable replacement for those demands if it doesnt even meet api?

then they say this in the FAQ

ng Red Line products void my vehicle's factory warranty?
Using the appropriate Red Line product shouldn't invalidate your vehicle's warranty and question the mechanic or service manager that says so"

How can this be when your vehicles warranty is dependant on using the proper oil? if you tell a service adviser that you have been using non approved, non SAE engineer approved oil I'm pretty sure everyone here would know the outcome of that. you would of course pay for your engine in all its glory. i would question that ..

There is also this

"dexos is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation."

now, i'm no fancy lawyer but is it ethical (let alone legal) to use someones trademarks and portray it in a fashion that it seems they got the permissions from them? basicly - from the perspective of law, can they claim it is a replacement for API SN when they have no affiliation with SN and dont even have the permission to put it on there bottle? They are basicly stealing from General motors and slandering API by any legal definition i can think of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cat117
Redline was my favorite company ever. but after a reply to a question i had looked kind of awry i dont think i will be buying more.

When asked why redline motorcycles were still rated SG i was told that ..
Apparently SN rating is only for cars and not bikes. ( funny sincemy friends bikes and mine all call for high api ratings and since all api ratings supercede each other) And all the new API requirements all the other oil companies like motul are meeting for motorcycles are actually making there product worse since they dont have zddp - and will not protect your bike at high rpm. (funny .. because Rotella meets SN and diesel engines to my knowledge diesel engines loove zddp- also funny since my motorcycles effeccient driving light doesnt even turn off till 9000 rpm and is built to tolerate high rpms on a super regular basis) ... that wasnt even the complete email the whole thing to type again would insult my intelligence and i dont really want to go there. I've been dealing with these guys for so long and i've never had a problem. my money will support another american business from now on. not only not factual, but aggressive marketing. something tells me before big oil companies took over them things were diffrent.

To this i say - why on earth did you upgrade your automotive line of oils then?
sleep.gif
...not listening anymore.

I will give it to them though - thats aggressive marketing. this is the good ole way of marketing in the west. something tells me before big oil took over them things were diffrent.

I humbly submit my resignation from Redline products
grin.gif

Regardless of redline and API certficiation, I'll try to explain what they are saying, as it makes sense to me.

API is indeed a car engine rating. Some motorcycles without shared sumps might actually call for an API spec, but others will likely ask for a JASO spec which is indeed a motorcycle spec (or rather wet clutch/shared sump spec). Rotella is exempt from the SN spec limitation on phospor as it's main spec is for a diesel engine. That's just how the spec is set up. the first API spec listed is the one that's followwed, and the others are only partly followed where they don't clash with the first.

I'd be interested to see the rest of the mail though. I have no relationship or contact with Red line, btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back