Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular Royal Purple 5w-30 here
cheers.gif

Redline???
confused.gif
thumbsdown.gif
crushedcar.gif

can redline be bought retail? i didnt see it at pep boys today, and i i checked all the Castol oil while i was at it and none of them were made in germany(GC?)....

I've recently switched to Royal Purple and really like it. Although I'm thinking about doing something completely new and exciting, 6 quarts of MMO in the crank case!

cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

~Sail
grin.gif

gr8gatzby,

GC German Castrol is only available at AutoZone in the US and in only 0w-30. One poster, however, in the GC forum reported that he ordered Castrol 0w-30 from Oreilly Auto Parts and it was Green GC M0501 batch.

I've used both and must say they are excellent products. Hard to argue with RP's premise of increased mileage and HP. RL doesn't make that claim, but you may see something. I can buy RP locally, but I am currently ordering RL on the internet. It is simply the best, IMO.

As I've said many times, Redline 5W-30 and my 02' Subaru Impreza RS did not get along well. For many oil change intervals, the engine consumed .9 qt/1000 miles of the Redline and about half that with other more pedestrian oils like Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 and Pennzoil 5W-30 dino oils. Why? I surmise it has something to do with seal compatibility or maybe because I put the Redline in the engine too soon (4000 miles). I doubt I'll ever use it again. I've been scarred!

If you plan on keeping the engine somewhat clean & plan on selling the vehicle before 300K, you don't need to spend that much on a quart of oil to reach 300K. Any name brand $4.50 regular price synthetic will get you there.

You never mentioned you wanted to race your vehicle, so we are all assuming you are using it as any average, everyday driver would.

But to answer your original question, I would not purchase either oil. You can get the same protection & miles with GC, Schaefers, Amsoil, Platinum, Mobil-1 EP.

Some opinions would be great, regarding the both Everyday oils and Racing oils...
confused.gif

Thanks
Achilles
cheers.gif

If I had to choose between the two and cost is of no factor at all(with the price of off the shelf synthetics nowadays Redline really aint that high)... Redline.

Huh? Don't you work for Royal Purple?

Anyway, you asked for it...

Redline: Interesting oils, at some point in time I'd like to try an OCI or two of their oil in my STi.

Royal Purple: No interest in their "everyday" oils. The only one that interests me at all is the Racing 21 oil. But I suspect that the price-per-quart of Racing 21 would turn me off.

I wouldn't put RL in an engine with 4K miles on. I remember hearing that the ACT Federal Police put M1 in their BMW police bikes at an early age and used so much oil they had to rebuild every engine. A decent run with dino first IMO, then your syn of choice. My 2c worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back