Redline or Motul in new Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
CVL,

The guy at Synergyn was telling you the truth ...the Redline street oils are mostly PAO, with a relatively high percentage of polyolester - compared to other synlubes - than is probably close to 30%, +/- 5% of the basestock blend. An oil made entirely out of polyolesters would not be very stable for an internal combustion engine application in the presence of moisture and combustion byproducts and would cause excessive seal swell. It would also be extremely expensive to make and too expensive to market.

You can make an oil entirely out of diester base oils however; indeed Amsoil did that from 1972 to about 19880 or so,when they went to the blended PAO/Polyol-ester basestocks ....I believe that Motul is also using diesters as the base for some of their formulations like the 8100 Series oil.

The French have been our allies since the days of the American Revolution.... Indeed it is doubtful we would have won without their help ...it's something to think about. If you travel to France, you will find that the WW II generation is still grateful to the US for liberating them from the Nazi's. So I think that people get the wrong idea sometimes, especially if they never leave the US, or watch my homeboys at Fox News
wink.gif

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

cvl, I have a RSX Type S and my car completely ate my last fill of M1 SS 5w30. I'm running a 50/50 mix of M1 SS 0w30 and 5w30 now and it's working great this winter! Gonna watch the burn closely thou.

If you have the Hondata ECU flash, I'd probably suggest a 30 weight oil, but talk with Jay more about what oil to use. He's tried and tested (search this site) a few different oils in his K20A3 and knows more about oil than the law should allow.

Thanks for the info Slick. I knew that diesters were used in motor oil. Not sure what the Synergyn guy was thinking. I also know that there are a lot more group V esters than just polyolester that are used. I must have gotten the new guy or something.

It will be a while until I'm finished with the GC.

I would go Redline. I think Redline is an exceptional oil and needs two to three OCIs to show its quality. Too many UOAs here are misinterpreted because of higher wear numbers. I believe they are a result of Redline's cleaning abilities, causing more contaminants to be carried out with the oil and showing in the UOA. Once you have run two or three OCIs with Redline, wear numbers will drop drastically.

I am running Redline now in two LS style engines and it has so far been the best oil in regards to oil pressure retention under high temperatures. Redline just doesn't thin out as much as dinos or even PAOs of the same viscosity.

Besides, I really like to deal with the people at www.myoilshop.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back