Redline oil at Advance Auto (stores)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I read here that Advance Auto now carries RL oil, so I decided to go to a local Advance Auto on my way to work. Well, to my amazement, they have Redline oil in stock!!
cool.gif
They had 10 bottles of 5W-30 and 8 of 10W-30. They also had shelf space for 10W-40 and 20W-50, with sticker price and everything.....although it was empty. The price is $7.98 a pop, which needless to say is very pricey.
There is another thread around where some of you are discussing the composition of basestocks in RL. According to the label on the bottle (the new blue labels), it only mentions Polyol Esters and nothing about PAO. They also mention that esters are used in jet turbines and some other gimmick like that. I realize that doesn't prove anything......just thought I'd let you know.
For $7.98 a qt, it is very hard to justify the price, especially when you consider Mobil and Amsoil are very good oils too. I "may" do an all RL OCI in the future, but the most likely scenario will be a 50/50 mix of RL and M1.

Also, I noticed for the first time ever M1 0W-20 here is San Antonio. I still haven't seen any Mobil Truck/SUV though. I might be interested in giving the latter a try.

Z, I was just about to post this. I just went to the local Advance Auto Parts and they had all the viscosities except the 5w-40 for $7.78. Mobil 1 has some serious competition. I might try the 10w-40 to see if it helps lower consumption.
smile.gif

[ April 03, 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Auto Zone or Advance Auto? I guess RL wants to sell lots of oil huh?

I didn't see any gear oil. RL is expensive oil, but if you can afford a C5 or other high end sports car, the oil IMO is cheap and worth every cent. Terry speaks highly of it as everyone knows and as far as UOAs go, there is more to it then what we see with RL.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Did they by chance have gear oils, or MT-90/MTL to be specific?

No I didn't see any, but I'll keep an eye on that. I want to get a hold of some tanny fluid and diff fluid as well.

buster,
was is AutoZone or Advance that you saw RL??

I made a correction to my post, it was Advance Auto Parts. Sorry about that.
cheers.gif

I have heard that Redline ATF is great, Redline gear oil is great, and various Redline products for differentials, transfer cases, transmissions, etc., are outstanding products. Maybe I will try the Redline transmission fluid for my transaxle in my car. But motor oil at over 7 bucks a quart seems pretty steep to me-it makes Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Schaeffer's oil look cheap.

It is an expensive product, but it's a more advanced oil. When I do get my C5/C6, I most likely will use RL 10w-30. I still think for maximum protection, RL is the best choice for high HP performance cars. The UOAs we see are tricky to read and Terry wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't a good product. There are definitely, better, low cost alternatives out there for most daily drivers like Schaeffer's, Amsoil, M1 etc.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I didn't see any gear oil. RL is expensive oil, but if you can afford a C5 or other high end sports car, the oil IMO is cheap and worth every cent. Terry speaks highly of it as everyone knows and as far as UOAs go, there is more to it then what we see with RL.

Thanks for the heads-up about RL being sold at Advance Auto, buster.

offtopic.gif
I've been using RL 5W/30 & 40 in my modified WRX, and have been just a bit puzzled by the results, viz., higher than expected wear #s.

Could you elaborate briefly about there being more to the UOAs than meets the eye?

quote:

higher than expected wear #s.

Could you elaborate briefly about there being more to the UOAs than meets the eye?

I'm not an expert but this is what I've read. Terry Dyson speaks highly of RL. RL's chemical makeup make it difficult to read through spectrographic analysis. Not all the wear #'s you are seeing are wear. The ester in RL is highly polar and has a strong attraction to the engine walls and it can displace the metal molecules that are normally just doing nothing. So instead of wear metal molecules sticking to surfaces, they are displaced into solution. This is why many reports show higher wear numbers. This was talked about by some of the very knowledgable members on this board. It's something to keep in mind.

There was a report on an Acura that showed high wear metals but the oil was still good for 15k miles. Dave from Redline also has stated that UOA's are not a good method to compare one oil to the next. I'm not saying this is all true, but it's something to consider. RL has a ton of Moly and is for hard driving and extended drains. I would get a UOA and have Terry Dyson interpret it for you.
smile.gif

Lastly, if there was a fundemental formulation flaw with RL, you would here about engines failing etc. It's simply not the case. It's not for everyone thats for sure. It also has a very good reputation among many that race, using their street oils.

[ April 03, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I switched to Redline 10W-30 a month or so ago. My mileage immediately increased 7.1%. I am still trying to figure out if this is reformulated gas (due to a weather change here in Illinois) or a real oil related increase. Redline Australia claims 10% hp increase with their oils. I also think I notice increased pep in the car. If Redline is responsible for this then using Redline is a no brainer. Keep us informed of your results especially any MPG changes.
smile.gif

Does anyone think Amsoil will ever be found at retail chain like Advance?

Your right about the competition....too steep for most.
smile.gif

Amsoil is found at some chain stores now, Champion Auto locally to me but Amsoil has corporate policy that on the shelf retailing is limited to a person or corp. that owns 5 or less retail stores.
The mass retail sales is not in their business plan.
Thats their policy and their success is based first on the dealers. Like it or not, thats the way it is.

smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Did they by chance have gear oils, or MT-90/MTL to be specific?

No I didn't see any, but I'll keep an eye on that. I want to get a hold of some tanny fluid and diff fluid as well.

buster,
was is AutoZone or Advance that you saw RL??

Info tid-bit...
The RL ATF fluid had a sticker price of 17.99 CDN at local speed shop... I'll stick to M1 for 8.00 a litre.. Thank-you very much...
Jean

I was in the Hazlet NJ Advance Auto Parts late last week and noticed the new Redline motor oils as well. Unfortunately none of their gear oils though.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back