Redline MT90 loses some stank and Extended Warranties

Hey guys,

I have a 2013 VW Golf R. Haldex AWD with open differentials front and rear. I put MT-90 in the transmission and rear differential at 30k and am draining it now at 60k. My understanding is that the Haldex AWD has the front diff doing all the work and the rear diff being dragged along and maybe being engaged 1% of the time (in Florida).

The transmission/front diff oil came out rather dark with some of metal flaky shiny when pouring only, but it blends/mixes out quickly. The rear diff oil came out looking brand new. The odd part is that the transmission fluid had a quite a bit less of that strong gear oil smell compared to the rear diff fluid.

I've accepted that my transmission is on borrowed time. Has anyone had experience with a 3rd party extended warranty accepting this as grounds for transmission damage?

The vehicle has a mild groan at 45-60mph at precisely 2000rpm. This is regardless of gear (5th and 6th are the only ones in this rpm window at these speeds), clutch engaged or not, and even in neutral. It's subtle enough that I didn't notice it until the radio was off and the windows up. The shifts are butter smooth, no grinds. Could it be the output shaft bearings making the groan?

Thanks for your feedback and opinions!

Alex

Attachments

• rear diff.jpg
    rear diff.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 45
  • trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 46
How could it be the transmission's output shaft bearing making the noise if the clutch is disengaged?

I suspect the 2000 rpm noise is some kind of exhaust system resonance.

Last edited:
In my experience, diff noises will change with loading. A groan that occurs even in neutral would seem to me to be something else.

I was never impressed with Redline gear/trans lubes personally.

Thanks for the feedback.

The groan only happens between 45mph and 60mph. The 2000rpm causing it is strange I'll agree, but since it only happens between 45 and 60mph and not at a stop has me skeptical of it being an exhaust resonance. I can also feel it in the shifter when shifting into 6th gear. Passing down through 2000rpm is pretty consistent with my usual upshift point of 2200rpm.

I misspoke on my initial post, I can only hear it with the clutch disengaged while in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear or in neutral with the clutch engaged/disengaged. It's very likely making the groan while accelerating/decelerating through 2000rpm in 5th and 6th, but the car has stiffer engine mounts and a single mass flywheel. Those 2 combine for a much louder, but normal groan/growl all the time when the clutch is engaged.

I'm also really wanting to cash in on this stupid extended warranty I was suckered into buying. Car has ZERO issues until right before it expires! Any experience with metallic fluid being good enough cause to pay for a rebuild?

Sorry I was rambling then threw the question in at the end.

Anyone have experience with metallic shiny fluid being good enough cause for an extended warranty to pay for a rebuild?

I have seen tiny metallic particles in transmission fluid and none of those transmissions failed or needed a rebuild. What you drained was only the first fill after the factory fill and most of these particles may still have been from break-in. I do wonder why you put MT-90 in the rear diff. Doesn't that call for 75W-90?

Last edited:
The groan only happens between 45mph and 60mph. The 2000rpm causing it is strange I'll agree, but since it only happens between 45 and 60mph and not at a stop has me skeptical of it being an exhaust resonance. I can also feel it in the shifter when shifting into 6th gear. Passing down through 2000rpm is pretty consistent with my usual upshift point of 2200rpm.

my 82 Mercedes exhibits a noise only in a narrow range. Ive also seen metallic bits in the diff oil. But the sounds go away with throttle removed/in neutral.

Doing it at a specific rpm range points to exhaust resonance...

Back