Redline Mt-85 gear oil viscosity

Hello y'all. I'm new to forums, I've been lurking in the forum for many years and never made a account. But I have a oil related question that I'm a bit stumped with.. I am about to change the manual transmission gear oil in my 2013 scion frs I've been having issues with my shifting experience for a while now, it's extremely notchy and sort of hard to put it in gears. (Common issue with this car) and I figured I'd try some redline mt-85 gear oil, because it is advertised as being 80w85. Which is slightly thinner than what stock calls for (I've have good experience using slightly thinner oils in my previous cars). I just received my order today from redline today and I was checking it out and it seems like this oil is very thin and is nowhere near 80w85. I did the typical shake test on the bottle and it sounds like standard motor oil in there. Can someone give me experienced insight on redline gear oils. All help is always appreciated

The info is on the website.

It is how it is labelled

And, without a VOA, you have no idea whether it is or isn't "nowhere near"

There is no such thing as the "typical shake test"

Not sure if I ever met anyone that can tell what oil sounds like when shaken

The info is on the website.

It is how it is labelled

And, without a VOA, you have no idea whether it is or isn't "nowhere near"

There is no such thing as the "typical shake test"

Not sure if I ever met anyone that can tell what oil sounds like when shaken

I realize that, but it clearly isn't as thick as any other gear lube I have on my shelf. I was wondering if there formula perhaps thickens greatly with heat range

Chrisgt86,

The viscosity of MT-85 is similar to a 30 weight engine oil. As a result, it isn’t unexpected that a bottle of MT-85 would feel like standard motor oil when you were shaking it. See the attached link for more details about how the various viscosity ranges relate to each other.

Belker

I drive a 2009 scion TC five-speed and I have Redline MT-90 in it. The current fill has about 3 years and 25,000 miles on it. I really like the fluid and it still feels good shifting. Gear oil does not have to feel super thick in the bottle or in your hand to be very good quality. If my memory serves correctly, 80w90 gear oil is usually a similar viscosity to 5w30 engine oil.

I realize that, but it clearly isn't as thick as any other gear lube I have on my shelf. I was wondering if there formula perhaps thickens greatly with heat range.
NO, an MTF has it own base oil/additive package, unlike differential fluids, and this MT-85 stays around 12.5 cSt at 100C, and about 61 cSt at 40C, which makes it a 75W85 in SAE gear oil terminology, or a 10W30 in terms of engine oil viscosities;:

Back