RedLine Mix, 4,500 Miles, 2011 Honda RidgeLine

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Blackstone: Thanks for the notes. More kits are on their way! As for this sample, it's looking pretty good, overall. Since the majority of this fill was Red Line 5W/30, that's what we logged it in as, but the two quarts of 0W/20 brought the overall viscosity down a bit, so that's why it's slightly out of range. This isn't a problem, though, since we know the reason. No contaminants were found, and wear metals look good, with most reading below average. Universal averages are based on ~6,500 miles of oil use, and since the TBN of 3.8 is good, you could try running that long next time. Nice!

MI/HR on Oil 4,500 MI/HR on Unit 45,250 UNIVERSAL AVERAGES
Sample Date 5/18/2015
Make Up Oil Added

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 9
COPPER 19
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLY 517
NICKEL 0
MANGNSE 1
SILVER 0
TITNUM 2
POTSSUM 0
BORON 42
SILICON 16
SODIUM 53
CALCIUM 2253
MAGNESUM 56
PHOSPHS 965
ZINC 1144
BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 53.5 56-63
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.33 9.1-11.3
Flashpoint in °F 385 >365
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0
Water % 0.0 Insolubles % 0.2 TBN 3.8 >1.0

Second oil change on this vehicle for me. 2.5 quarts of 5w30, 2 quarts of 0w20. Run from mid October to Mid May, 7 months. Most trips 10 miles each way to and from work. I decided on this blend because I was using up the remaining RedLine Oil that I had. It was a cold winter for us in Michigan but the vehicle was parked inside the majority of the time. Previous oil change was done at the dealership when I purchased it. I added Lubro Moly MoS2 to that Dyno oil change (6 months prior to this one). Current fill is Amsoil 0w20 with a Fram Ultra Filter. I plan to run this for year.

Last edited:
There was a slight drop in gas mileage but I think that had more to do with the winter blend gas and not the oil. Very quiet engine noise using Redline, especially on start up.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Do you plan on anything with the transmission, rear dif etc.

Yes, I'm switching the Transmission over to Redline ATF (D4). I've done 2 drain & fills, 3.3 quarts at a time and it shifts better. The Rear Diff is Honda Fluid and that's been changed too. Great running vehicle!

Originally Posted By: edvanp
There was a slight drop in gas mileage but I think that had more to do with the winter blend gas and not the oil. Very quiet engine noise using Redline, especially on start up.
I do a 55 mile round trip to work, and I took an exact 4 MPG* hit in the "just breaking it in" Nissan Rogue. Many or most days start-up below freezing and many below 10F. Poor thingy.

* That's 4mpg by the DIC, long term average across the OCI Jan-May.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back