Redline is in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit 3,000km on the break in oil and couldn't resist any longer..
tongue.gif

Put in redline 10w30, engine is the 2.2L 4 banger in the 04 Honda S2000. The engine definitely sounds smoother and seems to rev up a bit more freely, all the way to the 8300rpm redline.
worshippy.gif
Still not sure if I'll change this oil before the winter or leave it in while the car is stored.. by then it should have about 6-8K km's on it.
I was actually surprised how much noticeable the change in the engine was.. I wonder if it would have been the same with any other group IV/V synthetic.
dunno.gif

I say you should have as much fun with that car as possible this summer, rack up lots of miles, and then change the oil in the fall and do a UOA!
fruit.gif

I believe Redline recommends not using their Synthetic until 10000 miles. But honestly I have a hard time really buying that one.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I believe Redline recommends not using their Synthetic until 10000 miles. But honestly I have a hard time really buying that one.
smile.gif

actually Al it is 3000 miles that they recommend on their bottles, sometimes I've heard it said 2000 miles as well when chatting with Dave at Redline. But on their bottles it says 3000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
smile.gif

actually Al it is 3000 miles that they recommend on their bottles, sometimes I've heard it said 2000 miles as well when chatting with Dave at Redline. But on their bottles it says 3000 miles.

Just noticed that... I believe their website used to say 10K miles though. I could be wrong.
smile.gif

I would change it out, especially since the engine is new and it "sheds" a lot of metals when its new.... Enjoy your new car
burnout.gif

it would be very interesting to see if this sample suffers from the higher than normal lead numbers that many Hondas experience in UOA's on Redline. If so we can't blame residual clean up on this engine as it is so new. I wish someone could figure out that phenomena.

Keep us posted on the wear numbers with a UOA. good luck.

Yeah, if the weather permits I might actually do enough driving to warrant an oil change before winter begins
smile.gif

[ June 28, 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

Roy Howell wasn't sure why Pb is higher but they were aware of it. He said it's nothing to worry about, but RL also isn't a fan of UOAs to compare oils. There is something reacting and it's probably the Moly IMO. D1 is loaded with Ester, but shows low Pb numbers. When you look at RL, the two things that make it different overall are the higher amount of POE and Moly. So it's probably one of the two.

Well, I now have my RedLine 50/50 mixture of 5W-20 and 10W-30 in for about 3 weeks now. I have put on 1600 miles which is a huuuge amount for me. So far-so good. The oil has turned slightly darker than the Mobil 1 would have in that period of time. My gas milage has gone up about .5 mpg which may be statistically insignificant since my trip milage is usually about 36 mpg on my Sentra 2L .

Oil consumption is probably only a small fraction of an oz. (if that). There is no niticable difference in performance or noise level-which would be expected.

History

Are you serious ??? CT has Redline ??
I have never seen it there?? gear and engine oils? I heard they carry Amsoil now.
But only a few grades..........

quote:

Originally posted by spdemon:
I have never seen it there?? gear and engine oils? I heard they carry Amsoil now.

Yep, Amsoil 0w30, 5w30 and 10w30 are in CT, as well as Redline 5w30 and 10w30. Amsoil is $9.10 for the 5w30 and 10w30, and $12.80 for the 0w30. Redline is $12.99, but it has gone on sale more than once for close to $10. Amsoil went on sale only once so far, for $1 off.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by spdemon:

Yep, Amsoil 0w30, 5w30 and 10w30 are in CT, as well as Redline 5w30 and 10w30. Amsoil is $9.10 for the 5w30 and 10w30, and $12.80 for the 0w30. Redline is $12.99, but it has gone on sale more than once for close to $10. Amsoil went on sale only once so far, for $1 off.

OK,

I have to ask...does Canadian Oil sell tires?

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
The engine definitely sounds smoother and seems to rev up a bit more freely, all the way to the 8300rpm redline.

Where's the 0-60, 1/4 mile, or G-Tech comparison numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back