Redline in a twin turbo Supra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Redline 10W30 in my Supra turbo. (only because that's what's been used by the previous owner).

I'd like to switch to Mobil 1 since that's what I use in my other vehicles. Is there any compelling reason to stay with Redline or go with Mobil 1? Are there other oils that offer benefits for this application. (P.S. I do have a turbo timer)

Considering the high heat of the turbo, and I'm assuming you drive it hard too, I'd stick with Redline over Mobil 1. It's definitely a better oil for hard driven applications.

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
I've been using Redline 10W30 in my Supra turbo. (only because that's what's been used by the previous owner).

I'd like to switch to Mobil 1 since that's what I use in my other vehicles. Is there any compelling reason to stay with Redline or go with Mobil 1? Are there other oils that offer benefits for this application. (P.S. I do have a turbo timer)

Hmmmm...Delo 400 15w-40 anyone?

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:

quote:

You've got to be kidding me?

You're gonna suggest running a cheap fleet oil in a high dollar turbocharged engine? There is no way that oil would outperform Redline in this case, not by a longshot.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

quote:

You've got to be kidding me?

You're gonna suggest running a cheap fleet oil in a high dollar turbocharged engine? There is no way that oil would outperform Redline in this case, not by a longshot.

Geezz, you got something against Delo?

Delo will protect wonderfully in a "high-dollar turbocharged engine."

On the other hand, I have nothing against Redline. I've just ran Delo in all sorts of engines and it has performed great. For turbos (in extreme/big power usage), I've seen guys use it in:

Pickups that pull sleds. (Ex. - Dodge Ram 5.9L Cummins making well over 1000ft-lb torque!!!)
Turbo'd Tractors - Pulling
Semi Pullers - Best was a V12 Detriot running Delo that spun some astonomical rpms.
Blown Boat Engines spinning high revs all day long.

Once again, I'm not saying Redline can't do a great job, but this "cheap fleet oil" can also do the job great.

[ April 02, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Delo might work great in a truck engine, or a moderately driven passenger car engine even, but it does not have the right "stuff" to perform in an application like this. It's additive package and base oil were not meant to be used in an engine like this.

You've gotta pick the right oil for the right application, and it seems to me that you think Delo will work for every single vehicle out there. As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've seen a single post from you where you didn't mention Delo. When it comes to oil, there is no one size fits all.

quote:

Delo might work great in a truck engine, or a moderately driven passenger car engine even, but it does not have the right "stuff" to perform in an application like this. It's additive package and base oil were not meant to be used in an engine like this.

You've gotta pick the right oil for the right application, and it seems to me that you think Delo will work for every single vehicle out there. As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've seen a single post from you where you didn't mention Delo. When it comes to oil, there is no one size fits all.

I didn't want to turn this into a b**chin fest...

I just believe that Delo is a great oil that can do just about everything really well.

And I'm so sorry that it offends you that I mention Delo a lot on here , but for most applications, it performs great. And as you say "it doesn't have the stuff to do the job". What the heck are you talking about?? Have you ever actually seen Delo ran in a high-powered gas engine and seen how well it really protects...as in helped strip the engine down after use (in my case, blown marine V-8 after a long race) and take a look at everything to see how it protects after using a hi-dollar synthetic on the last change...oh, that's right, that's what I did. And guess what? Delo protected and kept it clean just as good as Amsoil!). I doubt you have.

And frankly Patman, you can kiss my ***. I'm done with you, and I'm done with this site. It's people like you that really **** me off. Have fun with yourself, and I hope your position on this site makes you feel like you have some power in your life.

Adios,

Justin.

quote:

quote:

I just believe that Delo is a great oil that can do just about everything really well.

And I'm so sorry that it offends you that I mention Delo a lot on here , but for most applications, it performs great. And as you say "it doesn't have the stuff to do the job". What the heck are you talking about?? Have you ever actually seen Delo ran in a high-powered gas engine and seen how well it really protects...as in helped strip the engine down after use (in my case, blown marine V-8 after a long race) and take a look at everything to see how it protects after using a hi-dollar synthetic on the last change...oh, that's right, that's what I did. And guess what? Delo protected and kept it clean just as good as Amsoil!). I doubt you have.

And frankly Patman, you can kiss my ***. I'm done with you, and I'm done with this site. It's people like you that really **** me off. Have fun with yourself, and I hope your position on this site makes you feel like you have some power in your life.

Adios,

Justin.

I hope that little rant makes you feel better.

What I don't like, is people giving out bad advice.

If the only thing you have to contribute to this site is your constant commercials for Delo, you won't be missed.

I'm sorry...I know I said I was done, but geeezz, I have to ask.

Do you actually have any experience to go with all this advice your giving out?

Have you ever disassembled an engine an taken a look at a comparison at how different oils have held up and performed (And no, I'm not talking about some "timken test" or the like)

Seems to me that all you have learned comes from various sites and what others have said, not from actually experience and seeing things with your own two eyes and messing with engines with your own two hands.

I write this because you say I give bad advice, and that really pisses me off...once again. I'm giving good advice, it's just not what you want to hear, or believe is right, because of some numbers you saw on your computer screen or something someone else said or did.

SO, do you have any actual experience with working with engines and seeing how different oils actually work and how well each does its various jobs? (Since oil is what this site is all about)

I do, and that's why I recommend Delo, because I have seen with my eyes and diassembled with my own two hands engines that have ran on the stuff (not just diesels - alot of high-power gas engines as well) and seen how well it works.

Trust me, I was amazed as well. People always said that running "diesel/fleet" oils in gassers was not a good thing to do.

But after actually seeing the results myself, I'd have to say those people had never actually seen the results, but only heard "rumors" from people like you that really don't have the hands-on knowledge to be saying that Delo is not good to use.

Justin.

BTW, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super is also quite good (although I have never ran it, but others I know have, and have gotten similar results...good protection and clean engine after "extreme use".). If I stick around, maybe I should start mentioning that more instead of Delo!

[ April 02, 2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Justin ]

quote:

Pickups that pull sleds. (Ex. - Dodge Ram 5.9L Cummins making well over 1000ft-lb torque!!!)
[/QB]

Sience when does Dodges 5.9 liter make 1,000lbs of tq? Standered it has around 520lbs how do you double that?

Being a fan of both Red Line and Chevron, perhaps I can insert some helpful thoughts into this thread … or maybe I’ll just make things worse. Who knows?
dunno.gif

Tearing apart race motors may or may not tell you about the oil in them, especially ones which suffered sudden catastrophic damage. Few should show any sludge and if you see a pile of shavings at the bottom of the pan, you can only guess what went wrong in order to cause the mess. Maybe oil, maybe something entirely lubrication un-related. Surviving endurance motors are another story.
wink.gif

However, seeing hundreds of used oil analyses on this site and multiple interpretations of each, says a lot about an oil’s ability to prevent wear, stave off oxidation and resist thinning/thickening.

I like Delo 400 in 15W40 a lot. As far as conventional oils, it and Pennzoil Long Life 15W40 are my favorites for high-temp, high-stress applications. For this reason, I used both in my lawn & garden equipment as well as gas-powered electrical generators which sit for long periods of time and then run mercilessly … sometimes for days at a time. I’d also use these oils in motorcycles or older cars which need a thicker oil, etc …

Having said that, I have switched many of my smaller engined machines over to Schaeffer 15W40 (synthetic blend) because of the molybdenum anti-wear package. Still, it was not because I found the previous oils to be underperformers. I just like overkill.
smile.gif

But, for a specialty application like a high-RPM turbocharged engine, I can think of no better oil than Red Line. You’ll get better protection without resorting to a thicker (power-robbing) base oil.

Use Mobil 1 SuperSyn if you want to … but as noted, they are formulated on the thin side for fuel economy gains. Backyard blending is often resorted to in order to achieve an ideal viscosity … and if you have to do this, maybe you’re using the wrong oil.

I say stick with Red Line.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

quote:

Adios,

Justin.

Justin, there is no reason for you to start getting personal with Patman, he did not get personal with you. On this board we try to maintain a certain level of maturity and respect for other members. This is what sets us apart from other boards. Adios, Joe

Show me used oil analysis results running Delo in a high horsepower application and I will shut up.

Just because I've never disassembled an engine does not mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I've learned a lot about oils from the many extremely knowledgable people on this site, and they'll say the same thing I'm saying, you will not get better results from Delo than you will from Redline. How can you even compare the two? Redline is a high dollar fully synthetic oil made from one of the best base oils out there, Delo is not even in the same league as them.

davefr

The advantage of Redline is that you don't have to wonder if there's a better oil (regardless of price).

Mobil 1 should be fine. Mobil's Delvac 1 would be better imo than Mobil 1.

Wow, come on guys, it's MOTOR OIL! Let''s not lose friendships over that! Chill and respect other people's opinions, even if you disagree.
cheers.gif

I am a turbo enthusiests, I know I guy who had a 94 Supra who blew his motor on a dyno. He hit the nos too early in the run and perforated his block. His cylinder head was OK though, so I helped him a bit by installing a brand new short block for his new RPS T66 tubo upgrade. To make a long story short, hew used nothing but mobil 1 in the engine that blew, and it looked squeeky clean inside, expect for the rod that was broken in half
pat.gif
I'd stick with redline if you can find it reasonablly, or go with half 10w-30 mobil 1 and half 15w-50 just to get that viscosity up a bit.

I would stick with Redline becuase of the better high temp protection from the extra ester that it contains.

If price is the Issue, then Mobil 1 will be fine.

#1 concern should be air filtration. Make sure that you have good(quality, high effeciency)air filtration.

Justin,

Your delo recommendation is way off base here, for a daily driver I would not use a 15w based oil. Also I'm sure Delo provides adequate protecion in all the application that you have experience with, but is it the best. Have you ever done a side by side comparison?? What about oil analysis???

I have seen several from H.O. Diesel trucks that have switched from Delo to a synthetic and wear numbers went down, even with longer drains.

I have nothing against Delo, as a matter of fact that is what is in my Triumph right now as a break in oil. Hahaha, yes becuase I want higher wear for the first few thousand miles to seat everything. After that, I'll be using a high quality synthetic.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with the Redline.

Do you think I can safely extend the oil change interval to 18 months? I only accumulate about 3000 miles/yr.

I'll bet that delo oil would protect as well as any oil you can buy in general, remember big diesel engines have large diameter journels and the bering speeds would be as high as any car engine . Some big truck engines cost way more than a Supra .Not to step on anyones toes .I may be getting a 1967GTO from my friend and if I do it will be getting a 632 ci world products engine, what will I put in it Delo oil why ? for the protection. Chevron ran Delo in some race cars for a while .Worked good . Although You can't go wrong with Redline oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back