Redline fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a sale on redline in Advanzed Auto, all over, at prices little over M1.

This will go into my super charged 04 350Z (ATI w/ 7 lbs pulley).

I love the concept of a nice strong VII-free 10w-40 Redline, for this application, but am scurred by some of the UOA's it has had.

Any explanations for the extra components that appear to be wear?

Fred..
smile.gif

i work at advance auto and got a **** of a deal...when we first found out we werent gonna carry it anymore my manager sold me 5 quarts at $2.50 a quart. than a few days later we find out that it costs advance auto more than that per quart....haha, i got them good

quote:

Originally posted by Gent:
Anyone know why they are going to stop carrying Redline? What is a "UOA"?

Thanks.

Redline is expensive and simply didn't sell well enough to justify taking up shelf space. UOA = Used Oil Analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:

Any explanations for the extra components that appear to be wear?

Fred..
smile.gif

Only way to know is to get Terry to interpret a uoa for you. Much of the board's view on Redline# is just speculation.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
I'd use the 10w30 instead of that 10w40

I agree. I think the 10W40 will be too viscous and might lead to higher wear. Check the UOA thread about the guy road racing an M3 on RedLine.

Redline UOAs are about 5 to 1 bad. And some of those in the "1" category are a bit suspect if you ask me.

In short, the oil doesn't sell because it is over-priced. Most folks don't do UOA's and such. They just look on the shelf to see what's affordable. They don't recognize the Redline name and aren't willing to take a chance.

There is a camp which believes that three consecutive drains on Redline oil are needed before all of the old sludge is removed from the engine. Redline is presumed to "wash out" the old sludge which contains these break-in wear metals. The only problem with that notion is that there are no consecutive UOA's here that show Redline's bearing wear metals trending down--or none that I've seen anyway.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back