Redline engine oil for guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I use Redline 5W30 engine oil in my car and after each oil change i always have some small amount left in the can, I started use it on my guns for lubrication of moving parts and also for rustprotection in the barrel and it have always worked very well.
Anyone else who use it this way and could there be any bad side effects?

Every time I've tried motor oil in a firearm it ends up being too goopy for me. Not quite a grease but too thick for gun oil. Plus when mixed with any type of gun powder residue its a bear to clean.

I did not use redline though.

Take care, bill

Guns aren't all that picky for the actually lubrication part, but never use an oil where you need a grease, etc I don't like motor oils for guns for the reasons Bill gives. If I need a light lube it's Amsoil MP.

Guns don't care what kind of oil you use. I use what ever is left over from oil changes. Lately I have been using left over Delo ESI 80w-90. Summer is warm.

and just how will the add pack in motor oil react when it comes into contact with firearm cleaning solvents? Its just not what it was made for.. Will it work well enough? who knows. Its just doesnt cost much money to use gun specific lubes, I have had the same bottle for years. To me its just not worth the time wondering if something else might do the trick.

I've been using Red Line 5w-30 on my guns for a while now. It is an excellent cleaner, and leaves a film that lasts longer than any other oil I've used. It doesn't get thick.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I've been using Red Line 5w-30 on my guns for a while now. It is an excellent cleaner, and leaves a film that lasts longer than any other oil I've used. It doesn't get thick.

I have also noted that it keep the oilfilm much longer on my guns when stored, For long term storage i have found that RedLine is by far superior to my conventional Gun oils.
I want to continue use it but im quite careful with my guns so i want to be sure it cant cause any harm.

I have used M1 on my Glock once when I ran out of my gun lube.

Glocks don't really need a lube to perform perfectly, so no real data on how it worked. . . .

I think motor oil may be as good if not better than a lot of the [censored] mineral oils being sold today as "gun lube".

But I would opt for a quality gun lube. I prefer Weapon Shield oils and greases. My AK get SUPER hot while firing and I have yet to hit the flash point on Weapon Shield. And it handles dirty Russian ammo like a champ!

I use M1 15w50 EP from a syringe on all of my guns. Carbon deposits clean much easier, and most of my guns have stayed cleaner..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back