Redline D6 or MAG1 LV Multivehicle ATF in 6L90E

So my transmission calls for Dexron VI.
I saw a great deal locally on the Redline D6. I have previously used MAG1 and no complaints about that. That should be GM licensed and approved too. Redline apparently is not.
Read about the Redline fluid here, people seem to like it. Should I go for it over the MAG1?

Last edited:
I changed the ATF in our 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 that required Dexron VI. I bought a case of Havoline Multi Vehicle ATF that was a licensed Dexron VI fluid. Transmission worked just fine after the change. Picked up the case of 12 off of Amazon and had it delivered to my front door for $52. I just checked and it's still $52. Pretty good deal.

I've used Mag1 in several applications, all have been good so far! I know it's under $5/qt on Amazon. That Havoline mentioned by Sierra might be worth looking into, good deal for a case of 12.

JOMO... Just one man's opinion... I'd stay with a Dexron VI licensed fluid. And there are many to choose from. Mag1 for the win here.

I wish Asian manufacturers actually had REAL licensed oils.... Nissan's CVT fluid is not licensed. So it is a bit of a game of trust, hope and belief when it comes to NS fluids. It does seem like thankfully just about all legitimate made CVT fluids are working well for people who have changed their fluid in their vehicles. Whether it be from Castrol, Valvoline, Idemitsu, Eneos, Amalie... But I would like to use a licensed fluid actually.

If the price difference is not huge, this is a no-brainer, get the Redline. Hands down.

I used the Mag1 in both normal (e.g., Dex III) visc. as well as the LV thinned-down CAFE variant in a number of vehicles seven to 10 years ago. (e.g., starting around 2010 and quitting around 2013). It was more widely available then and at a better price comparison. I found it to work "acceptably" but inferior to original fluids it was claimed to be suitable to replace (dex III, T-IV, 3309, etc.). It's "acceptable" and I think in ONLY Dex VI apps.

OTOH, Redline is above the grade and if the cost is close do it and don't look back.

Thank you for your thougts. I believe it's a closeout, so the Redline is basically the same price as Mag1 so the cost is not an issue at this case.

JOMO... Just one man's opinion... I'd stay with a Dexron VI licensed fluid. And there are many to choose from. Mag1 for the win here.

I wish Asian manufacturers actually had REAL licensed oils.... Nissan's CVT fluid is not licensed. So it is a bit of a game of trust, hope and belief when it comes to NS fluids. It does seem like thankfully just about all legitimate made CVT fluids are working well for people who have changed their fluid in their vehicles. Whether it be from Castrol, Valvoline, Idemitsu, Eneos, Amalie... But I would like to use a licensed fluid actually.

Asian cars aren't as picky on fluids as Euro cars are (except Honda power steering fluid).

The most popular ATF on here is Maxlife, which carries no formal approval or license. But I agree with you to stay with licensed fluid during the warranty period.

Thank you for your thougts. I believe it's a closeout, so the Redline is basically the same price as Mag1 so the cost is not an issue at this case.

In that case, get Redline :)

I agree with you about that to a point...

Say for example my lady's 98 Camry... Has you know it was originally specd for Dexron III... A pretty easily and very widely used transmission fluid at that time. I drained and refilled the Camry 3 times with Coastal Dex Merc... Car runs very well.

These CVTs are a bit of a different animal vs the old school Toyota 4 speed automatics or Honda automatics.

With the CVTs I would have preferred a real licensed fluid to buy. Being that these transmissions run on a very different functional fluid... I'd rather it actually have a license.

Dex Merc or Dexron III is easy to find and source and been around quite a while. I know it is no longer licensed by GM and they say to run Dexron VI instead... Just me but I feel ok and just has well with old school Dexron III.

Though thankfully it seems that Castrol, Idemitsu, Eneos, Valvoline, Amalie, Amsoil, Redline, Pennzoil have all come up with fluids that work very well in these CVT transmissions.

Back