Redline D4 vs Mobil 1 ATF vs Dino ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to start any controversy but as I'm about to change my ATF for the first time myself I'm wondering what the differences are. I'm leaning towards going with the Mobil 1 but what exactly does each offer compared to the other?

For reference, the car is a 1994 Jag XJS with 4.0L 6 and the ZF 4 speed AT.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What is the fluid spec for that trans?

IIRC Mercon but don't know the number. When I looked it up online, I got the answer in a couple of places - anything but type F.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What is the fluid spec for that trans?

IIRC Mercon but don't know the number. When I looked it up online, I got the answer in a couple of places - anything but type F.

Then the Mobil 1 ATF should be fine. And is readily available.

I've used Mobil 1 before and it's good ATF. You can get it from Advance Auto Parts and use their coupons to make it a better deal. If you use the code RAF7JA1102 you can get 9 quarts for $54.91 + tax. Using VISA you can get 8 quarts for $49.92 + tax.

I personally use Red-Line D4. But the cheapest price I've found for it is $10.50 from Amazon.com. That makes 8 quarts cost you $84 and 9 quarts would be $94.50.

Dino ATF in my experience is always inferior to synthetic ATF. This is especially true when it's cool out.

In short, with the price difference, I would go with Mobil 1 in this situation.

I've used dino Dex a LOT in the past and had no issues with it (212k miles on the trans and still going strong). I also have used M1 ATF in a car for the 1st 90k miles in my current GP and it worked great with a good UOA but I was surprised how much it sheared for a synthetic. I've been using Dex VI since (90k until the current 161k) but I think I'll give D4 a try next time around (180k and beyond). The D4 looks like a nice product and isn't a lot more than M1.

M1 ATF is quality stuff I have used it in all of my stuff problem free. I've started using Valvoline Maxlife DexMerc because it's a quality syn at a decent price and will probably switch to a Transynd fluid in my 7500 since it's about the same price as M1 ATF and meets TES 295. It's(Transynd or equiv) also a grp iv fluid according the the Allison gentleman here with a very long service life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back