Redline C+ UOA from manual tranny...comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some input on my 2nd transmission sample. First sample was Amsoil universal ATF, second sample is of redline C+ ATF. This is from my 2007 Dodge with 6 speed manual.

link

This is my 3rd fluid change...I've notice degraded shifting performance at 20-25k miles on each fill. Not extreme, but noticeable. Is ATF just not up to the task in a manual behind a Cummins putting out 600 lb/ft of torque?

BTW, how the heck do you attach files to posts?? Thanks for any comments...

Quote:
If you want to send in a virgin sample, we'll run it at no charge to see.

I would take them up on the offer and post it for comparison.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
If you want to send in a virgin sample, we'll run it at no charge to see.

I would take them up on the offer and post it for comparison.

I second that, the UOA also looks good to me.

Dang, too bad the thing takes exactly 6 qts and I don't have any left over...

Any thoughts on shifting performance? 2-3 and 3-4 shifts get noticeably more difficult at 25000 miles. Fluke, or is the oil degrading?

The spec'd fluid is ATF...any other alternatives to consider?

Looks like C+ is a better MTF than D4.

Barium a little uncommon in VOA/UOA data here.

Excellent UOAs. If shift quality quits at 25k, then stick with a 25k interval.

Redline held its visc so visc isn't the cause of the shifting issue.

Have you ever tried to simply top off your cold transmission at 25k? Wonder if issue is caused by some fluid leakage or volatility evaporation? I've seen some fluid levels drop unknowingly which caused shift issues even when no puddles were noticed. Might be a worthy experiment in 25k.

Also notice that both UOAs are during the start of winter when shift quality will degrade with thicker colder fluid. PPD/VII issue?

Also the service the trans sees has to be included when comparing the uoas . I am going to try Redline MTL next oil change.

big61fourby, this result is excellent. I probably wouldn't change a thing.

However, if you want to try something else, I would suggest Royal Purple Syncromax. It's a manual tranny lube (with an application-appropriate additive package) that is ATF-thin.

http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-transmission-fluid.html

I am not a fan of this brand in general, but on paper it seems to be an ideal lube for manual transmissions (or transfer cases) calling for ATF.

I own a Dodge Cummins with the G56 six speed (2006). My 2-3 has always been a little notchy. Getting up to about 200 000 km's now, I find myself babying it more. I really dislike that 2-3 on cold mornings....
Now what I do is just a compromise shift- where I shift from 2 and hesitate slightly and just nose her into 3rd....a few blocks down the road and then she's fine. This is mild compared to some who own NV5600's...which is a stout trans, but there are those out there who have terrible shifting woes....
Honestly, I've tried many options of fluid out there...RPS, Amsoil ATF, ATF+4 Mopar, Chevron, Mobil1 SYN ATF, Amsoil MTF, Redline C+ATF...and a few others which I have forgotten that do not come to mind now.
My current fill is Amsoil ATF, and it's fine, but I'm going to be making a change to a 50/50 blend of the Amsoil ATF and the MTF. I tried straight MTF one time and the G56 didn't seem to like it cold...maybe a 50/50 will be be better....
My advice? Don't waste your money like I have experimenting with oils....pick a good one a stick with it.

I should add that when I used Amsoil MTF the warm shifting was unbelievable.... but when it was cold it was dismal...strange as MTF has great cold temp characteristics.

I hear ya about the 2-3 shift. Even double clutching gets difficult sometimes. While I'm letting it warm up, I'll drop the tranny in 5th and the t-case in neutral...seems to help the shifting quite a bit.

Not liking that you're already babying it a bit...I need 250,000 miles out of mine...

Well, when I say "babying" it, I just mean that I'm taking care. I'm certain the way I drive I will get that mileage. But if I'm careless and just ignore the signs...well, you get the idea.
I was doing the T-case in neutral thing, but I was doing it in 2nd. Have you tried different gears and arrived at 5th that warms it up the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back