redline and easy driven cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
i emailed redline about these concerns and i wonder what theyll say. last time it took them 2 weeks to reply.. hopefully this one will be faster..

quote:

Polyolester does not mix well with oil, does not protect as well as mineral or polyalphaolefin (PAO) oils against corrosion, and is not highly compatible with many types of seal materials.

Polyolester fluids and di-esters have greater film strengths, greater fluidity, spread better, coat better, stick better, and resist high temperature oxidation better than PAO's or mineral oils.

Most esters mix better with most oils than do most other bases. Ester hygroscopy is no worse than with most mineral oils.

Esters are part of today's full synthetic oil formulations because they increase additive compatibility, enhance seal swell, increase the VI, and resist high temperature oxidation.

quote:

All Proof, a pioneer in synthetics, was a polyolester. They experienced a variety of problems with both seals and water.

Amsoil changed from a diester to a PAO for that reason.

Amsoil changed to PAO/polyolester mix for a variety of reasons:
1. Amsoil used almost 100% di-esters; cost of and availability of di-esters was going sour,
2. PAO/polyolester mix was less expensive to produce and had almost the same performance for most applications,
3. new polyolesters had better thermal and VI specs than did di-esters and performance could be improved at less cost.
4. NO seal performance problems with OLD or NEW formulations.

quote:

MolaKule:
Polyolester does not mix well with oil ["oil" corrected to "water"], does not protect as well as mineral or polyalphaolefin (PAO) oils against corrosion, and is not highly compatible with many types of seal materials.

quote:

Polyolester fluids and di-esters have greater film strengths, greater fluidity, spread better, coat better, stick better, and resist high temperature oxidation better than PAO's or mineral oils.

Once you've achieved a film strength sufficient to achieve low wear, more film strength does nothing. Adding a bit of polyolester or diester to a PAO - plus a bit of moly, calcium, bronze, and zinc - does that without the attendant problems of polyolester-based lubricant. And that goes much the same thing for spreading, coating, and sticking.

PAOs can be formulated to resist high temperatures as well as polyolesters - Mobil has one for use in former Soviet bloc jet engines like the German Mig-29s. There's not much application for that kind of performance in a piston engine.

However, PAOs' low temperature performance can't be duplicated in a polyolester.

quote:

Most esters mix better with most oils than do most other bases. Ester hygroscopy is no worse than with most mineral oils.

That's why a bit of polyolester is added to many PAOs - to mix the carrier oil and additives. Of course that solvency is the reason why polyolesters can murder seals and gaskets - which is why a bit is added rather than a lot. As to hygroscopy:

http://www.fluitec.com/education2.html

with both diesters and polyolesters, once the oxidation inhibitors are depleted and a critical level is reached, the base stock degrades/polymerizes at an accelerated rate. The result, among other things, is acid. That doesn't happen with mineral oils.

This is precisely why All Proof is no longer on the market, and why Amsoil experienced problems with their original diester-based synthetic and switched to PAO. Been there, done that.

quote:

Esters are part of today's full synthetic oil formulations because they increase additive compatibility, enhance seal swell, increase the VI, and resist high temperature oxidation.

They certainly have a role as one component of many synthetic motor oils. Whether they're a good idea as a base stock of a motor oil of a lightly used passenger car, on the other hand, is another question altogether.

quote:

MolaKule:

quote:

All Proof, a pioneer in synthetics, was a polyolester. They experienced a variety of problems with both seals and water.

Amsoil changed from a diester to a PAO for that reason.

Amsoil changed to PAO/polyolester mix for a variety of reasons:
1. Amsoil used almost 100% di-esters; cost of and availability of di-esters was going sour,

I was around when Amzoil (then) made the change.

In fact, I had one of the engines (Buick V-6) that failed when the original diester-based lubricant failed in the presence of water.

However, cost was certainly a major driver.

Availability of diesters remains good:

http://www.lubricon.ca/diesters/

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/20w50.htm

http://www.ultracheminc.com

http://www.gaeicc.com/lubricants.htm

http://www.citgo.com/Products/LubesOils/CITGOBrand/CITGOBrandCompressorLubricants.jsp

http://www.americansynthol.com

etc etc

However, there are other ways to skin the cat for less money with the advent of Group III, PAO, and other lubricants.

quote:

MolaKule:

quote:

Polyolester (POE) lubricants do not provide the anti-rust protection of a PAO:

A mineral oil, PAO, or ester, by itself, will all fail rust testing.

Note that "rust testing" and "anti-rust protection" are two different things.

No mineral oil, PAO, diester, polyolester, silicone, polyglycol, multiplyalkylated cyclopentane, polyphenylether, perfluoropolyether, or other base will pass any standards as a motor oil without additives and blending.

But, buck naked, polyolesters do not exhibit anti-rust properties, while mineral oils and polyalphaolefins do.

quote:

They certainly have a role as one component of many synthetic motor oils. Whether they're a good idea as a base stock of a motor oil of a lightly used passenger car, on the other hand, is another question altogether

Interesting discussion. I'm not a fan of Redline. Their are over 300 esters from what has been stated on here. Redline shows higher Cu usually and sometimes higher lead. It woudn't surprise me if Redline had corrosive tendencies. Now is it from the Moly or type/quantity of the ester being used???

All the arguements of cost/performance/corrosion seem to be accurate. My question has always been, if Polyolester used as the PRIMARY base stock was so superior, Mobil 1/Amsoil/Synergyn would all be using it as their primary basestock for their racing oils (M1/S2k etc). Series 2000 20-50 is $8.35 qt, more then Redline at $6-$8qt. Why didn't Amsoil chose a POE as the primary basestock then? I'm not a chemist so I can't prove this but when you look at even what Shell is claiming they use in Ferrari, it's a blend. I think other then the stronger film strength and shear strength of a Redline type oil, they are really not your best choice. We've only seen a handfull of decent UOAs of Redline. Not impressive at all.

Redline also doesn't believe in used oil analysis for comparing oils. Darren Wallace of Amsoil says he has seen numerous Redline reports go through OAI and said once moisture gets involved with RL, forget it. Depleted TBN (which we see often with RL) and high wear metals. He said Amsoil has never been impressed with it. Could be Amsoil BS but I'm sure if they thought it was teh better way to go, they'd be using it. Same goes for other high end brands. The idea that Redline shows high wear bc of dirt, poor airfiltration and a not so clean engine has been used much to often. In fact, it's an insult to our intelligence quite frankly. Until I see more UOAs, not TWO good ones, I'm not convinced. Show me the data.

[ August 03, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

However, cost was certainly a major driver.

Availability of diesters remains good:

Today the supply is very good, but still at a high cost. At the time of the decision, the supply and its outlook wasn't so good.

quote:

But, buck naked, polyolesters do not exhibit anti-rust properties, while mineral oils and polyalphaolefins do.

I disagree. Even butt-naked their surfactant properties (which allow them to spread and coat) are superior to both PAO's and mineral oils.

quote:

Note that "rust testing" and "anti-rust protection" are two different things.

No they're not; they go hand-in-hand. A good lubricant will have a good rust inhibitor to prevent or retard rust and ferrous oxidation, and will make good marks in the humidity cabinet tests.

red lines reply to my email

"The polyolester bas stock doesn't break down in the presence of
moisture, the lower molecular weights can have more of an affinity.
The Red Line Oils offer very good anti-rust properties a
characteristic addressed in the additive package as it is in most
oils. The polyolesters are attracted to so cling to the surface,
offering a protective film that other synthetic base stocks and
petroleums don't.
The Red Line 5W20 will continue to work and perform well in your
engine even when not driven frequently, you don't need to be concerned."

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

quote:

I disagree. Even butt-naked their surfactant properties (which allow them to spread and coat)are superior to both PAO's and mineral oils.

Which kind of lends to the scavenger theory correct? It's just so hard to tell. But if you did tear downs and really measured wear, that would put everything to rest I bet. Why doesn't Delvac 1 with it's high ester content, or GC show this effect? Different esters?
dunno.gif

In fact, I had one of the engines (Buick V-6) that failed when the original diester-based lubricant failed in the presence of water.

A yeah, most mechanical parts will fail when the lubricity of water lowers the anti-frictional properties of the oil.

quote:

But if you did tear downs and really measured wear, that would put everything to rest I bet. Why doesn't Delvac 1 with it's high ester content, or GC show this effect? Different esters?

Somewhere here on BITOG I explained that I did run a test some time ago on two Kohler engines of different horsepowers using Redline. Oil samples showed wear metals like you see here in UOA's. Upon measuring with electronic micrometers, no perceptible wear could be detected. This led me to believe, independently, that the metals were coming from somewhere else, metals that perhaps were in the pores of the cast iron that had been placed there earlier, and had been scavenged by the more potentially agressive esters in Redline.

The esters in Delvac 1 and GC are TME and TMP esters, whereas the esters in RL are primarily penerythritol (PE).

quote:

MolaKule:
I disagree. Even butt-naked their surfactant properties (which allow them to spread and coat) are superior to both PAO's and mineral oils.
I really am completely unconcerned that you disagree. The manufacturers of the base stocks agree, since they're responsible if those base stocks are misused based on their representations, and I've cited their own statements. Mobil fairly states the facts in their literature. They make polyolesters and sell the best-selling jet lube. I'm sure they'd love the opportunity to sell $9.95 a quart Mobil II.

quote:

No they're not; they go hand-in-hand.
Which is pretty hard to square with the manufacturers of polyolesters own statements about uses for their base stocks. Or are you claiming Mobil is lying? Or that you have access to better testing than they do?

quote:

A yeah, most mechanical parts will fail when the lubricity of water lowers the anti-frictional properties of the oil.
Apparently, then, Amsoil lied. I'm too ignorant to understand why a main bearing spun or what the substance was that was found in the engine. The lab that analyzed it was part of a vast conspiracy to rig both the product statements of polyolester manufacturers and the research that's readily available to anyone on polyolesters, hydrolization, and polymerization. Everyone hates polyolesters, except Red Line, and one motorcycle oil manufacturer, and we're all out to get'em.

The name of the thread is "redline and easy driven cars". No one with the strengths and weaknesses of mineral oils, polyalphaolefins, diesters, and polyolesters in front of him would choose polyolester over the other three as the base stock he was formulating for "easy driven cars".

Yes, you can buffer the polyolester, add anti-rust, and so on and so forth. The result will be a product that costs three times the mineral oil and twice the PAO that works *almost* as well as either.

I use Red Line. I don't use it in easy driven cars.

Given a crowded marketplace and competitors like Mobil, I'm sure that formulating an oil out of amazium, or unobtainium, or some other magical elixir that "costs three/six/forty times" PAO is a wonderful selling tool.

And if I was racing a car, or running an air-cooled engine under high load for long periods, I'd use a polyolester. In fact I do for one of those applications.

That doesn't render it a good lubricant for easy driven cars.

I think most us agree on here that RL is better as a race oil, then a street oil. When you think about it, the only clear cut advantage RL has over any other top notch PAO synthetic is shear stability. So for racing, thats great, but for daily drivers it's clearly not the best choice and we've seen other oils outperfom it in the wear department. And that is what the competition will tell you. They acknowledge RL as a very good RACE oil. Darren Wallace flat out said for running around the track, it's great. It will hold it's viscosity. But for long drains and in the presence of moisture, they do not like it at all. So I guess RL has to rely on the additive package more so to offset some of the negative aspects of the POE base oil where as a PAO basestock with additives makes a more street friendly oil.

quote:

Glad you know that you are posting OPINION because it is certainly NOT fact.

I feel pretty comfortable that I can back up what I believe with documentation from the base stock manufacturers and seal manufacturers.

So what direct quote from Hatco and Mobil and others have yu posted?

quote:

There is a difference between adding 5-15% diester or polyolester to mineral oil or polyalphaolefin with a bit of magnesium to buffer acidity (Delvac 1) and basing a lube on polyolester.

OK, tell us something we don't already know!

quote:

Everyone hates polyolesters, except Red Line, and one motorcycle oil manufacturer, and we're all out to get'em.

And who is THEY that hate polyolesters?

I think Redline is fine for daily drivers, but better for racing. Now if another, lower cost oil shows just as good or better wear in your vehicle via UOA's, and your comfort level is better with a lower cost oil, then you must use what your budget allows.

[ August 03, 2004, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bruce T:
mf150, I think Buster is saying that Red Line's street engine oils are also designed for sporty driving. Those of us who have adopted this driving style don't officially call it "racing," we use euphemisms like "enthusiastic driving."

Buster is contrasting RL to oils designed for extended drain intervals (high mileage). The high mileage crowd thinks the speeders are both foolish and wasteful. We call them conformist sheep. Haha, can't we all just get along?

Both approaches are completely valid, as long as you choose an oil that matches your particular driving style.

Thanks for the clairification! "Conformist sheep" LOL! No doubt that Red Line was designed for the hard driven vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back