redline 5W40, 5100 miles, 08 GTI, 14k on car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping to get a TAN reading but looks like lab error. I expect TAN to be 6.0 or higher. I contacted Blackstone and they are usually pretty good about getting things straightened out so I hope to update that in the near future. TAN is important due to the test I'm doing to see what effect PCV bypass has on the oil. This 5100 mile UOA is on the same run as the 2700 mile run. The VOA I pasted into the report is from the same case of oil as both runs.

Roughly 50% highway, 50% city. Run #1 was 90% city in the winter. Please note that these UOAs are pre-pcv bypass. All comments welcome.

redline5w40runw5kmiles2copy.jpg

btw iron for this run was 3.7 ppm/1000 miles at 14,000 miles

20FSIppmironchartmarch1209.jpg

Just noticed that Calcium, Zinc, and Phosphorus went up between the 2700 mile sample and the 5100 mile sample. This was on the same oil run. What is the deal with that?

Forgot to mention 1 can of Lubro Moly fuel injector cleaner used at about 4700 miles on oil. This stuff did smooth out the idle a lot and seemed to help performance too. I like this product and it's pretty cheap $5.79 I think? at Napa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Think I would just use a 5k oci and save the uoa money.

The reason for the frequency is to get some kind of a baseline for oil conditions before the pcv bypass. Too bad it's so close to break in but can't be helped. I am not interested in extending oil runs right now. I just want to evaluate whether the pcv bypass helps at all with oil condition/life and/or fuel dilution.

Looking at the database, it doesn't seem like any oil can go beyond 5k except for adeere's 99% highway runs.

Looks ok to me. TAN would be nice. It's still a 40 grade. Previous oils appeared to have slipped into the 30 grade range, which isn't surprising.

Originally Posted By: buster
Previous oils appeared to have slipped into the 30 grade range, which isn't surprising.

Yea this run's viscosity at 5100 miles was higher than the last run at 4000 miles.

Here are the charts of the ending viscosity of 40 weight non- factory fill oils with at least 4000 miles (no data is shown as no bar on graphs). This run is in red. These charts are extremely limited however as it is not a measure of viscosity loss, only ending viscosity. So if an oil started thicker, such as the redline at 15.1, it may have sheared more than another oil and still end up thicker. And of course most are single pass UOAs from multiple units which makes it even more sketchy.

Still it would be interesting if someone wanted to compare ending viscosity to starting viscosity and graph actual viscosity loss. That way a person could include the 30 weight UOAs as well in the chart. I don't know if there are enough VOAs or published viscosities out there to be able to do that however.

cst.jpg

sus.jpg

Got the revised TAN number from Blackstone. It is 4.9 which is better than I thought.

Good illustration of effect of lots of city driving. Compare this 5000 mile 50% hwy/50% city run:

cst 13.02
TBN 3.9
TAN 4.9

to the last run of 4000 miles which was 90% city in the winter:

cst 12.23
TBN 4.3
TAN 5.7

Also, regarding the flash/fuel for the 2700 mile UOA (run 2), I thought that may be due to inadequate highway running before sampling but the same 375 fp is there for this 5100 mile UOA (run 2). So it may in fact be due to the redline fuel injector cleaner used a little before the 2700 mile UOA (run 2). Of course it could be regular old fuel dilution which one would expect with this engine. Just have not seen it before on this car.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Did you fill with fresh Red Line so you can next test for the effect of the PCV bypass?

Yup, I need to stay with the redline 5w40 to see what affect (if any) the pcv bypass has on the oil. I think the best I could hope for is a minor increase in viscosity and minor decrease in TAN but I am not sure it will even be noticeable. The one thing I definitely want to confirm however is that the pcv bypass causes no increase in TAN.

If TAN should happen to go down and viscosity and/or TBN goes up, it might be worthwhile to run an additional run of fresh redline 5w40 to confirm that.

Then one could run a fresh run with the pcv put back to stock. If the TAN came back up with the stock setup and was lower with the pcv bypass, that would be proof of the effect on oil. I am not sure I could stick with one oil that long though as the desire to experiment is too strong, if only to see if there are any mpg changes.

There was a recent UOA or maybe VOA of the Amsoil DEO and that stuff looked stout! So that, rotella synthetic, and redline 10w30 or 10w40 have my curiosity peaked as to how they would perform in this engine. I know I should stick with just one oil but where is the fun in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back