Redline 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, new to the forum as you can tell.
I am thinking about using Redline 5w30 in my 02 S-10. I can get a good deal on it so I thought I would try it. My truck has 75,000 kms on it and have been using Mobil 1. Is it worth it to switch? Like I said I can get the Redline cheaper than Mobil. Anything I need to worry about if I switch?
Thanks

welcome.gif

Now, cutting to the chase, where on earth are you finding Redline for less than any Mobil product??? In New Orleans we actually have an AdvanceAuto that's carrying RL, but for almost $8/qt, whereas the M-1 products are generally about $4.50 (all U.S. dollars, of course).

I don't know your engine very well. I'd suggest searching the used oil analysis to guage other members' results with various oils in the 4.3L (what you have, I assume). I'm sure some owners will add comments as well.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
...where on earth are you finding Redline for less than any Mobil product???

I second EK's question. Redline is $7.99/qt at all the Autozone's around here. M1 is $3.64/qt at a Walmart across town!

My father in law works at a store that sells it. So he can get it for me. Yes it is the 4.3 that I have and have been religious with all the service.

You have run Mobil 1 for 75,000 km and want to change? Why? Just go to Wally World and get a 5 quart jug of M1 for $15 (on sale from time to time), save $$ and keep the excellent performance.

Jace, my good buddy !!!!!!!! Please tell me where you are gettin' the stuff at a good price (less than M1 @ $26.00/4L from Wally World). Crappy Tire in Ottawa sells it for 13 bucks a bottle. I have been running it for 7,000 km now and plan a UOA at around 10,000. No problems so far. The 95 Buick 3.8 runs like a charm.

RL is considered by many to be an excellent motor oil. Why not save some money?

Makes me wonder if pepboys has any weekend positions available?
tongue.gif

I have only switched to Mobil 1 about 20,000 kms ago. I stand corrected I can not get it cheaper I can get it for around 8 bucks a quart. A little more than Mobil but better oil right?
I use k&n oil filters. How long can I run Redline before I change? I would do a filter at the midway point whatever that is?

quote:

Originally posted by Jace:
I have only switched to Mobil 1 about 20,000 kms ago. I stand corrected I can not get it cheaper I can get it for around 8 bucks a quart. A little more than Mobil but better oil right?
I use k&n oil filters. How long can I run Redline before I change? I would do a filter at the midway point whatever that is?

Why not just keep it simple, do your changes every 10,000km, but don't bother with the midway oil filter change, as it's unnecessary.

Jace - I have only switched to Mobil 1 about 20,000 kms ago. I stand corrected I can not get it cheaper I can get it for around 8 bucks a quart. A little more than Mobil but better oil right?

From what I see here and on other boards and Oil Change Interval of 10,000 miles with a good synthetic motor oil is pretty safe. Changing the filter at 5,000 miles could not hurt but is not indicated by the studies I have seen.

My preference is the Purolator Pure One filter, top rated for filtration and meets all flow requirements for the application.

I use Redline myself. I think it's a great oil, but honestly, for your application I wouldn't use it. I don't think you'd be gaining much if anything over Mobil 1 and you'd be spending a bunch more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back