Redline 5w30 too thin for my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Audi is spec'd for heavy 30s and light 40s with HTHS of 3.5+. My thinking is that Redline 5w30 should be just fine since it is so shear-stable, despite being more of a middle-30. The HTHS is 3.8 so that's fine too.

Thoughts? I have a chance to get a case of it for <$100 so it's tempting.

Buy it!

With a HTHS of 3.8, shear resistant, and film strength of a 40 weight (according to their marketing/specs) sounds like it would be a good fit.

I'm not familiar with any manufacturer that makes recommendations that split grades. Are you sure that your car specs a "heavy 30 weight"? What sort of language is used in the manual to communicate that "light" 30 weights should not be used?

Originally Posted By: GMorg
I'm not familiar with any manufacturer that makes recommendations that split grades. Are you sure that your car specs a "heavy 30 weight"? What sort of language is used in the manual to communicate that "light" 30 weights should not be used?

The car needs VW502/505 oil. If you look at the list, the vast majority of them are heavy 5w30s or light 5w40s. They all are HTHS 3.5+ as well.

some manufacturers like Porsche seem to spec specific HTHS values is what he may be referring to. however he says he has an audi hmmmmmm

for redline 5w30 is equal to the next higher grade for hths and viscosity, for the most part they do not shear at all! In past vehicles I have used redline viscosity was the same at 6000 miles as it was out of the bottle, were 5w30 dino sheared to a 20w

Originally Posted By: SuperFast

some manufacturers like Porsche seem to spec specific HTHS values is what he may be referring to. however he says he has an audi hmmmmmm

It's an Audi S4. 4.2L 40V V8, not direct injected.

Yes it would work perfectly fine in your Audi although M1 0W-40 (same HTHS vis of 3.8cP) which does meet all the spec's for you engine is actually lighter at all temp's being a 0W oil and having a much higher VI of 185 vs 162.

And just as a reminder when comparing oils with different chemistries and VII levels, it is the HTHS vis that counts, the KV100 spec' can be totally ignored.

The only thing Redline will thinnen out and lose weight will be your wallet after you have purchased it.

Plenty of alternative choices with OEM approval.

Yeah your right I am not a big Redline fan for street use.

Originally Posted By: dparm
What about the 10w30? I'm actually surprised they even still offer a 10w30 (and 10w40).

Yes, at least as far as the 10W-30 is concerned it's carried I'm sure for marketing purposes only and sold to people who don't know any better. All you're getting over their 5W-30 is a lower VI.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Yeah your right I am not a big Redline fan for street use.

My car gets autocrossed and taken to track days periodically.

If you're getting a good deal on the price it then yes, but I wouldn't pay retail. I didn't, and have a stash of a couple dozen bottles in 5/30 and 10/30. I doubt that using it would cause any harm to your engine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
GC 0w-30 is a "heavy" 30w

I'm not so much a fan of GC anymore.
I don't believe the current formulation is as good as the original "green" GC and it hasn't kept up.
Mobil has continued to improve it's oils and their 0W-40 with it's VI of 185 is actually lighter than GC at all start-up temp's below 25C while having a higher HTHS vis.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I don't believe the current formulation is as good as the original "green" GC and it hasn't kept up.
Mobil has continued to improve it's oils and their 0W-40 with it's VI of 185 is actually lighter than GC at all start-up temp's below 25C while having a higher HTHS vis.

Agree. Dated. It's a BP oil, which means it's mediocre.

Regardless, GC is still very good for a B&M oil. But that's beside the point.

I think I may go for the Redline 5w30. Money talks.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Widman's shows GC being thinner at all temps from 0C and up.

M1 0w40: 75.0, 13.5
GC: 67.2, 12.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back