Redline 5w30 sweet smell?? (overfill?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just did my oil change

i have an rb25det (nissan)..some might have seen my pervious post on my quest to find my oil and filter..

i settled for Redline 5w30 and the Pure One filter..

i filled the motor with 5 and 1/3 quarts of the oil...

i believe i might have overfilled because when the car runs there is a sweet smell that comes from the exhaust..

there is no coolant in my dipstick or any signs of coolant burning..it didnt do this before the oil change...

there is no white smoke coming from my exhaust and the car idles fine...

any thoughts?

but this is new to me..

you mean smell sweet with this oil?..smell sweet after an oil change?..

also i check the dispstick and its not over the top setting

example

^
----- the oil marks around here

^

confused.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

lol come on guys..

this is a legit question..guess im being overly analytical..but just wanna make sure my oil doesnt burn oil and cause problems internally

Luis,

According to the marks you have shown, the oil level is no problem. Just drive and enjoy. The sweet smell is not from the Red Line. It stinks like the rest of the engine oils.

Are you sure the sweet smell isn't coming from coolant? If you have a head gasket leak the coolant may have a bit of a sickly-sweet smell-even a very small leak could produce the smell.

I think on some cars if you put a higher octane than normal you can get a bad smell from exhaust. As for sweet - I really like the smell of gasoline. As for exhaust, it is a quick way to get rid of a head ache... Never had any exhaust smell sweet.

michaelc80 beat me to the punch - I'd want to elliminate the prospect of a coolant leak, too. If you still have the drained oil on hand, submit a sample for analysis with a note to pay particular attention to the possibility of glycol contamination.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
I think on some cars if you put a higher octane than normal you can get a bad smell from exhaust. As for sweet - I really like the smell of gasoline. As for exhaust, it is a quick way to get rid of a head ache... Never had any exhaust smell sweet.

As a long time 2 stroke motorcycle rider, I can tell you that there are definite differences in oil odors when burned. Castor is very distinct; crisp and sweet smelling. Some of the ester based oils can be sweet also. Ipone makes an oil that smells like strawberries when burned. (I am serious here... it can really be an advantage over the competition with a "what the heck is that?" factor.)
Luis, I don't think you have a thing to worry about, but, if you are concerned, do have an analysis done for coolant, and watch the dipstick for changes in level and color.

---------------IPONE--------------------------

Fonction : 2 Stroke Engine oil / mixture

Properties : Semi synthetic / Option : avalaible with strawberry exhaust option

Satisfies to : API TC

Usage advice : A synthetic based, high performance lubricant for 2 stroke engines. Specially studied for intensive use: cross, enduro, trial, quad, 50cc sport or competition. Advantages : - compatible with all types of petrol - the integrated container measure enables you to directly measure the percentage of oil - the mixture is dyed orange to verify that it is properly effective
 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back