Redline 5w20 14,900 04 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 2004 Honda Accord 2.4 engine 123,000 on car-14,900 on oil 7 months service. I added 1.5 quarts of oil (last added about 2000 miles before changing the oil) in the duration with a four ounce Auto RX maintenance dose, and put an ounce of lube control in every 1000 miles. I added a little less over this oil change interval than the last run with redline 5w20 with about 3000 more miles of oil service. I always keep the oil right at the tip. The first column in the previous run of redline 5w20 for 11,900 miles 7-8 months of service. The second column is the current run of redline 5w20 for 7 months with 14,900 miles of service. I do have an oilguard 10 filter and amsoil eao 13 filter. I have an amsoil air filter in engine. I changed the oil and replaced oilguard 10 system with slightly large 15 system. I also replaced the amsoil eao13 with amsoil eao 20 which is a larger filter but with similar threadings to fit 2004 accord-4cylinder. I used amsoil pi also a shall gas additive. I wonder if I over-additized with fuel stuff cause percentage of fuel seemed higher in second sample. I drive in rush hour traffic each morning 45 miles one way from york county pa to Baltimore MD area. I work in Baltimore city a couple nights a week and drive in city traffic then. I usually go home in non-rush hour traffic so have pretty clear sailing on drive home. I drive a bit aggressively and over speed limit, but usually with flow of traffic-unless have passive aggressive slow left lane driver who causes the most accidents.
1st Column 11,900 mi OCI (7-8 months) car had 107,000 miles total.
2nd Column 14,900 mi OCI (7 months) car had 122,000 miles total. Both samples are Redline 5w20-the second sample was more Redline 5w20 with SL bottle, 1st sample had more SM redline in it. I used auto rx four-five ounces on each. The first sampe also used lubeguard engine additive. The second sample used one ounce Lube Control Additive every 1000 miles. I put a few ounces in at 1000 miles then one ounce per 1000 for entire interval.
ALUMINUM----------------3------------3

CHROMIUM----------------1------------1

IRON--------------------12-----------21

COPPER------------------0-------------2

LEAD--------------------8-------------3

TIN---------------------0-------------0

MOLBDENUM------------1112-------------621

NICKEL------------------0--------------0

MANGANESE--------------0---------------1

SILVER-----------------0---------------0

TITANIUM---------------0---------------0

POTASSIUM-------------12---------------18

BORON-----------------5-----------------1

SILICON---------------8-----------------12

SODIUM---------------33-----------------23

CALCIUM-------------2374----------------2481

MAGNESIUM-------------6------------------11

PHOSPHORUS----------1900----------------1154

ZINC----------------721-----------------1282

BARIUM---------------0--------------------2

100 C CS VISCOSITY 8.9 100 C CS Viscosity 10.2
FUEL % ……………………………… WATER %............ Soot Volume %........1% Soot Volume.........
TBN…………………………………… 3.01 TBN.................2.90

You doubled what Redline would have had you run. If not for the extra additives added. You might have been in trouble. The oil has faired well.

I personally would run the oil to 7.5K (without additives)and change only the oil leaving the Eao in for a second round of Redline. After the second round dump oil and filter and do it all again.

Wonder what the cost difference between a second fill of Redline vs. the additive cost during the full OCI you have done?

Redline bottle suggests a 12-18 K mi interval. I have gigantic bottle of lube control and expense is not an issue, although changing the oil out and keeping filters in is a good idea. I usually [censored] the auto rx when oil is changed initially so actually might use more of auto rx if got oil changed more frequently. Car will be five years old in October so am averaging nearly 30k a year on car. I was a little concerned about fuel dilution at 3.8%. This is highest percentage have ever had in car. I felt oil held up well despite dilution-especially the TBN which only starts at about 7-8 for Redline virgin oil.I am runnning Redline 5w20 again and will run Redline 0w20 next oil change. I have a mix of redline mtl and redline mt90 with a topoff of mtl in manual transmission and car shifts smoother then any other combination. I run Redine D4 in wife's auto transmission on her 2003 accord and she has same mileage 123000 with no problems with her transmission and shfts gread with redline, lubeguard platinum, and magnefine transmission filter.

I would run the Redline without adding ANYTHING to it- get a reading on how it performs by doing a analysis at 7500 miles and adjust your intervals from there.

I would not use any additives in the oil and I would not use any lubeguard products with the D4 ATF in your wife's car.

All of the Red Line products are first class and they do not need any extra help. The Amsoil pi is a great fuel additive, but only use a bottle every 5-6K.

There is a bypass filter and boutique full flow filter. TBN is still good. The oil wasn't run too long.

You need at least one 10k run with no additives at all to get a baseline. Then compare a run with just lubegard, just Arx, just LC.....for study.

Even with a 15k interval, looks like the engine will last forever.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
It was not too long ago Redline stated 8K was the OCI interval. Anyone know when that changed?

Redline has been recommending 12K to 18K or 10-12K for severe service for the last 5 or 6 years as far as I can remember.

Regardless of anything unfavorable that you see there ..there's nothing there to even sweat about. Everything is noise. I've got to be suspect of the sampling method ..otherwise I'd expect (or would not be surprised by) more oddities in the metals from all that fuel. Fe is up a tick ..but nothing to bother with. Pb in the first one can be the additive shock if this was the first time with Red Line (these two) ..but it calmed down ..or so it appears. The visc in the second one is a 30 grade ..even with all the fuel. Are you sure you read the bottles right?

All bottles were redline 5w20. I thought oil oxidized some or thickened to a thirty weight. I did not think the wear metals seemed too bad, and attributed fuel dilution to mixing gas additives too close together. I used the Amsoil PI, a few 100 miles before changing the oil and I remember using the last of the pink fuel power-4 ounces prior to oil change as well. I was impressed by the TBN retention of Redline as the car was driven nearly 15,000 through coldest days of winter. Redline's TBN starts at about 7-8 in Virgin Sample.

I see nothing wrong there, really. It did do well over both OCI's. Oil may oxidize over the longer haul, but I would think that you would have seen some over the shorter OCI.

No biggie ..just a "hello. What's this?" kinda thing.

Now I'm confused. Folks are taking into consideration Redlines OCI recommendation. But -

I thought a Bypass filter acheived a lube panecea of sorts. Years ago I read a "study" where a guy was running GulfCoast bypass filters in a marine app - he compared dino and synth - and regardless of oil used, he found he could profoundly increase his OCIs (hours on engine) - this translated into a car application of several tens of thousands of miles.

All the write-ups I was reading at that time were stating that a Bypass supresses the stress on the oil's additives such that an oil can last several multiples of OEM OCI, not just a couple of multiples. And from looking at the UOA in this thread, I don't see a reason to question this.

So, can a bypass allow you 30k on dino in a "normal" driving app, or did I believe a lot of hype ?

Originally Posted By: ericthepig

All the write-ups I was reading at that time were stating that a Bypass supresses the stress on the oil's additives such that an oil can last several multiples of OEM OCI, not just a couple of multiples. And from looking at the UOA in this thread, I don't see a reason to question this.

So, can a bypass allow you 30k on dino in a "normal" driving app, or did I believe a lot of hype ?

There is no way you can get 30k out of dino

Originally Posted By: Billy007

I definitely say "way" - but depends on the app and the system setup.

Meanwhile, for folks to recommend 7.5k or 10k or Redline recommended OCI in the presence of a Bypass and EaO (unless it was an extremely severe app) - seems very conservative overkill.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Originally Posted By: ericthepig

you could if you had 50 gal sump
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back