Redline 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running this oil and if so any results/UOA's/consumption etc? I'm thinking for my wifes Focus this would be an excellent choice. As always, RL's specs are incredible. Doesn't always translate to real world performance though.

If you go to the Redline Web site though this oil is listed under racing oils and the statement is made " not for street use"

I think that would kill it for a daily driver!

quote:

If you go to the Redline Web site though this oil is listed under racing oils and the statement is made " not for street use"

They make a racing and street oil in a 5w-20.
smile.gif

[ January 22, 2004, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

RL racing oils are all straight weights. They approximate the street multi vis oils.

The 5w-20 is a street oil.

myoilshop is shipping me a case of 5W-20 today. I'll have it next week and it goes right into the Civic.

I'm a little tentative about using a 20W but based on the UOAs in various vehicles I'm going to give it a try!

Nice. How much did you pay? I have no hesitations running a good 20wt oil, especially in a ricer. They are putting up excellent numbers bc, IMO, they are of higher quality. If you formulate a well made 20wt, you get better HP, heat transfer, flow and even wear sometimes. I'm not saying this is the case for all engines BTW.
wink.gif

Okay, I am going blind. Where on the RedLine web site do you see a 5W20 oil listed anywhere? The lowest viscosity they have listed is 5W30 and the 20W racing oil. What am I not seeing?

I have this in my 03 Premium GT right now. After two days in there I will be switching it out for Red Line's 5W30 due to increased engine noise. I've heard good things about the 5W20 RL viscocity, though. If I were going to run a 5W20 that would be the one that I'd choose. I bought mine for $8 per qrt.

5W20 (STREET) is not on the Red Line website. Call Dave and order if you cannot find it anywhere.

Spector,

It isn't listed on their site. I called and they said they'd have it in stock this week. I was very clear and they were equally clear that what I wanted was the 5W-20 street oil and not the straight 20W racing oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Where on the RedLine web site do you see a 5W20 oil listed anywhere?

Try here

Yeah that's the 5w-20 SL Streeter oil . I think what one runs into if they were to use Redlines Race Oil long term would be some bore polishing if the additive pack looks like this one .

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000604

Not all race oils are created equal though . Take Synergyns 0w-20 with it's SJ-CH4 rating and their LTS 3w-30 with it's SL-CI-4 rating
cool.gif
, then there is the Valvoline dino race oil with around 3k ppm of Calcium and some Magnesium .

I know of another brand that has only Diester and Antimony in it
tongue.gif
Pretty cool stuff in how these various makers go about business .

Spector, your comment concerned me so much that I contacted Red Line US about the website, which doesn't mention the new 5W40 either. The motor oil data hasn't been updated since 2000, when the API spec was still SJ. The 5W20 street oil has been out since spring 2001 and was labeled API SL then. Be assured that it meets manufacturers' requirements for street oils. I saw the 5W20 at Spring Carlisle 2001 in one of the local speed shops' displays.

In response to my comments, yesterday (23 January) Dave at Red Line e-mailed me saying that the website will soon be updated, and he offered to send a copy of the current motor oil spec sheet.

The spec sheet is already available from the Red Line Australia website. It contains specs for the 5W20 and the new 5W40 and 20W60HD oils (the last of these is for Harley V-twins). Here is a link:

http://www.redlineoil.com.au/technical-data-sheets.asp?CategoryID=1

After the page appears, click on "TechData & Specs ALL Engine Oils". It's just one page, but you will need Adobe. The rest of the Red Line Pty (Australia) website is very interesting too.

This link was in a post some weeks back, but it's worth repeating.

[ January 24, 2004, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: ekrampitzjr ]

Motorcraft 5/20

API Service
SJ / EC

Gravity, ºAPI

Specific Gravity, @ 60ºF (15.5ºC)

Density, lb/gal

Flash Point, COC, ºF(ºC)
365(185)

Viscosity:

cSt @ 40ºC

cSt @ 100ºC

Viscosity Index

HT/HS Viscosity, cP @ 150ºC

Pour Point, ºF(ºC)
-49 (-45)

Sulfated Ash, Wt. %

Total Base Number (TBN)

ASTM Color

I'm having a RL 5w-20 craving. LOL>
grin.gif
The specs for this oil are ideal for any 5w-20 or even 5w-30 wt oil. You get the friction reduction of a 20wt but the HT/HS of a 30wt oil. I might have to try this stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'm having a RL 5w-20 craving. LOL>
grin.gif
The specs for this oil are ideal for any 5w-20 or even 5w-30 wt oil. You get the friction reduction of a 20wt but the HT/HS of a 30wt oil. I might have to try this stuff.

A 20-weight oil with HTHS of 3.3cP will have the same friction as a 30-weight oil with a HTHS of 3.3cP--all other things being equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back