Redline 20W50 too thick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vet

I picked up 4qts of Redline 20W50 on the 75% off rack at AA for $2/qt. I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT that I've been using GC in. Can I lighten up 4qts of 20W50 enough with 1qt of 0W20 or should I use 2qts Redline with 3qts of maybe a 5W20? Don't know how thick the Redline 20W50 is.

redline is thicker at the bearings than other similar weight oils... or so they claim.

Id carefully and strategically blend it with other stuff. The redline tech support seems like a good bunch of helpful folks... you might check what theyd reccomend as a blend stock.

For that price, cant beat buyuing it though... Nice car, BTW... the fiancee is interested in the MT non turbo legacy wagon... the GT is awesome, I test drove one, but the MPG is too low for our needs. Near perfect car though!

JMH

Wow - $2 qt!!!

In summer you could almost use it straight. But mix it 50/50.....as to what to mix it with, you'll get a million opinions. Best would be a less viscous Redline product. Second would be a dino like Havoline or Pennzoil.

I'm wondering about the wisdom of mixing with GC or M1.....

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
redline is thicker at the bearings than other similar weight oils... or so they claim.

Id carefully and strategically blend it with other stuff. The redline tech support seems like a good bunch of helpful folks... you might check what theyd reccomend as a blend stock.

For that price, cant beat buyuing it though... Nice car, BTW... the fiancee is interested in the MT non turbo legacy wagon... the GT is awesome, I test drove one, but the MPG is too low for our needs. Near perfect car though!

JMH

Appreciate the positive Legacy words. Not suprisingly I agree, if the Legacy suits your needs its a great car for the money and Subaru's definitely have some character that you won't get with most manufacturers high volume models.

quote:

Good for engines that regularly run very high oil temperatures. Best for engines that run large clearances such as air-cooled engines or large-displacement, all-out racing engines that see occasional street use..... Not recommended for street use in production engines that see sustained oil temperatures below 225°F

This is from RL's webpage; I'm not sure I would run more than 1 qt of this for your app. NOT RECOMMEDED by the oil manufacturer.

Wow, that doesn't sound very good for my application. I didn't even bother to read the back of the bottle yet. Maybe I should use this in my lawnmowers.

Sent Red Line a query and got a response. Not sure it clears anything up.

Message : I purchased 4qts of Red Line 20W50 engine oil. I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 turbo. I assume my normal oil operating temp is below the threshold for this oil. So, can I mix 1 or 2 qts 20W50 with a lighter oil? Would it be okay to mix with other brands? What would you suggest?

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the 20W50 could be used in your Subaru, for moderate and higher temperature operation there wouldn't be an issue. We have that temperature note on the web site to try and direct customers to the more appropriate viscosity, in your case the 5W30. You can mix the oil with other viscosities and with other products, either synthetic or petroleum.

There are plenty of Subarus using 20w-50 oil around. Particularly, a lot of people who track their Subarus (and other cars) like the thick oil.

If it's good to use thick oils are necessary in "racing" applications is debated however.

For everyday use, I don't think you'll have any problems mixing in 1qt. Not sure how cold it gets in Maryland though... If you're not gonna use it, I'll take it!

Seems like they are saying you should be using 5W-30. The 20W50 could be used for moderate and higher temps. (same as the website recomm)

Seems like a good mix with 3 qts havoline.

Short answer: Yes, it is TOO thick. Consider the total flow and viscosity/temperature relationships, and 20-50 at anywhere normal engine temps is too high for your Subaru. You will not be getting as good a flow rate as with an appropriate viscosity oil...and higher flow rate is better than lower flow rates when it comes to protection of a passenger vehicle.

Hey Vet!

Mix it 50/50 with 5W-20. That should bring it down to a thick 10W-30. Perfect.
smile.gif

I've used Redline 20w50 in the past, more than once. In a Subaru in fact - a WRX. I used 2-qts 20w50 and 3-qts 10w30, but only in the summer. Never a problem, and the UOA's confirm that.

I'd use it as a top-off or in small ratio in warm weather only. I just topped my LGT with 1/2 qt. M1 15w-50 and 1/2 qt. M1 10w-30, and from what I can tell that little bit of 50 added some stiffness, which the 2.5L seems to like (Rotella synth in the pan to start with).

Once it gets flowing it'd be hard to beat, esp. in the Subie engine. I've found the higher weights seem to cause this engine to pull harder after hitting spoolup with a noiseless effortlessness (except for that great exhaust note) than with the thinner factory recommended weights.

BTW I get slightly quicker spoolup with RTS than with TSUV 5w-40 (which lamentably is "gone"). I'd expect some slight lag with the RL. If you have a catless uppipe this probably wouldn't be an issue, if it even is one.

quote:

Originally posted by Ed_T:
I'd use it as a top-off or in small ratio in warm weather only. I just topped my LGT with 1/2 qt. M1 15w-50 and 1/2 qt. M1 10w-30, and from what I can tell that little bit of 50 added some stiffness, which the 2.5L seems to like (Rotella synth in the pan to start with).

Once it gets flowing it'd be hard to beat, esp. in the Subie engine. I've found the higher weights seem to cause this engine to pull harder after hitting spoolup with a noiseless effortlessness (except for that great exhaust note) than with the thinner factory recommended weights.

BTW I get slightly quicker spoolup with RTS than with TSUV 5w-40 (which lamentably is "gone"). I'd expect some slight lag with the RL. If you have a catless uppipe this probably wouldn't be an issue, if it even is one.

Ed_T,

Thanks, I'm always interested in other Subaru enthusiasts experiences/thoughts. My first OC after factory fill was M1 TSUV 5w-40 followed by GC which seemed to improve the sound at startup and overall smoothness. If I can't get GC on sale for around $4/qt maybe I'll try Rotella next OC. I've used RTS quite a bit in the wife's Sienna but I wanted to stay with Group IV/V in a turbo application especially since I have the boost turned up to ~17psi. I actually have a catless UP from an STI sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Are you running any mods; are you active on legacygt.com?

VET
I hear you about the Group IV+ thing, and that's where my head was at until I looked at the specs for RTS, and the much better cold flow it has over the old TSUV. For me the appeal is a great flowing oil with a kickbutt addpak. That and if its stout enough for TD's, its a cinch for the little gasser.

Despite your boost you'll probably find that whatever oil you are using looks good whenever you pull the stick, unless you've got some blowby issues.

I'm only at Stage1-93 with a TDC map. I'm thinking of going Stg2, but I'm pretty happy with the way the car cruises effortlessly at speed and accelerates instantaneously. On our increasingly clogged roadways here I'm not sure more punch is needed.
frown.gif
I've learned alot over at lgt.com.

2 Cents: Mix 70% to 60% Redline 5W20 with 30% to 40% of your 20W50 in the summer. I'd go to 80% 5W20 in the winter. I prefer not to mix brands, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back