Redline 15w-40 v.s. Royal Purple 15w-40 in a TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a 15w40 oil for my car to run next summer, but I'm not sure which of these two will be better for my 01 TDI. I'm thinking that since the 506.01 oil standard is at 0w30, the lighter of the two (redline) would be the better choice. However, I'm not aware of the additive package differences. Does anyone know which one might be best for summer protection and mpg?

--Matt

I've used the RedLine product in my 2002 TDI a couple of times and an oil analysis showed it was fine with my 10,000 oil change interval. However, the Mobil Truck/Suv oil is a great oil for these motors. That would be my preference, even in the summer, and will save you enough cash for some beer to enjoy after you change the oil.

I would think they would be very similar in UOA's for reasonable OCI. But they are so expensive.

Why not use M1/D1 or even lower cost, Amsoil 15W-40 and extend the OCI?

I'd really prefer to go with a 15w-40. Would amsoil be an improvement over these 2? RP is only $5 a qt.

--Matt

That's a good price for RP. Who sells it at that price?

Amsoil's 15W-40 is about the same price, less ($4.26/qt) if you are a preferred customer.

Honestly in a TDI the wear would be about the same...but the TDI guys will pitch their favorite oils. Most don't use 15W-40, IMHO.

Schaeffer has their #700 premium synthetic blend 15W-40 and their #9000 full synthetic Group III/Group IV 5W-40. Either will do an excellent job, and will likely give the lowest cost per mile.

Ken

No problems using Amsoil 15w-40 in my 2000 TDI in the HOT Texas weather. UOA's were very good, even a little better than the UOA's when I switched to Amsoil 5w-40.

What temps do you have in OH? I know your winters are COLD. Been to Dayton before right around Christmas time. Just about froze my butt off!
shocked.gif

In all honesty, you would probably be better off using a 5w-40 year round.

Temps in the winter are sometimes below zero, the summertime rarely tops 100. Perhaps 5w40 will be the best...

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back