Redline 10w40 work better than Mobil1 0w40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have sort of changed my mind. I was going to use Mobil 1 0w40 in my 95 Lincoln Town Car after the auto rx.Now I am thinking like a 10w40 redline oil for the HOT weather big grocery hauling I do down here by Austin Tx . Would this be too thick for a car that says it prefers 5w30 ? At 133,000 and no oil usage wouldn't 10w40 keep in the same condition it's in for a long time.Or, is 0w40 easier for start up? Thanks for your replies!

Grocery hauling as in gallons of water, **** loads of **** filling the car and 2 folks inside.Stop and go around austin, then 30 mile one way hwy driving there and back home.Don't you think 40wt would help?

I don't understand the question - they're both SAE 40 weight oils. I think either one would work fine, the Redline would probably be better in the summer and the Mobil might be a better choice if it goes below freezing there during the winter.

I would go with Redline 10W30, since it has higher HTHS thasn petroleum 10W40, and -49 F pumpability with 5% Noack volatility.

Even in the Austin city limits you wouldn't need more viscosity.

What size engine is this TC?

[ May 06, 2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

It is 4.6 liter V8 .The Lincoln and Ford 4.6 (as in Crown Vic) enthusiasts mainly recommend 5w30 since the tolerances are so small in this engine.At 133,000 you would think their would be a better viscosity.Thanks!

Well RL 10w30 is quite a few steps above the factory recommendation. It's basically a SAE30 that happens to flow in cold. So the manual recommends petroleum 5w30...10w30 would be thicker than that, and 10w40 thicker still. RL 10w30 is thicker than all of those. Unless you are burning oil or road racing(something tells me not
wink.gif
), I'd agree 10w30 is fine.

MrTcar,

At this mileage a synthetic 10W30 should work just fine.

Do you or anyone else have the clearance specifications on this engine?

I am attempting to make a catalog of engine clearances for comparison purpose and to calculate required viscosities.

I wanted to make a point that might seem trival to some but is very important to me. Clearances are the key factory not tolerances. I belive that people tend to interchange the too when they are quite different. Tolerance is how close to a given desing spec. a given part or assembly is manufactured to. Clearance is the amount of space between two parts or assembly's. I would challenge most people to show me were bearing clearances in general have been reduced on crank journals, ring to bore etc... While tolerances are being controlled much more closely especily in reguards to concentricity and we are seeing less tolerance stacking very few engines even new designs have seen any significant reduction in clearnces. The few that have are either ultra luxury or ultra performance. I have compared alot of engines spec.'s from various manufactures and find strikeing similaritys withing a company even on different engine platforms. You can only reduce the clearances so much before you can no longer reliable manufacture it affordably. You will also get to the point of deminishing returns in alot of areas like cost, durability, efficency(too much friction). I will try to get you the spec.'s for Dodge 3.9V6, 5.2V8, 5.9V8 and their somewhat new 4.7OHCV8. I have them at home so it is just a matter of digging out the unit repair manuals.

Thanks John, I would appreciate any info you can provide. And diametral clearances are what's under discussion - the distance or gap between bearings and journals or between piston rings and cylinder bores. Tolerance is how much variation is allowed from one part to the next.

From what I have seen thus far, here are relative clearances and suggested DINO oil viscosities for a few engines:

1. Daughters 3.0L V-6 in Explorer - Tight - 5W30 TO 10w30

2. '01 Nissan Frontier 2.4L - Tight - 5w30 TO 10w30

3. '92 Suburban V8 350 - Medium - 5w30 TO 10w40

4. '86 Suburban V8 350 - Medium to Loose - 10W30 to 15W40

5. '96 Mercedes 190E - Loose - 10W40 to 20W50

6. '99 Tahoe 350 V8 - Tight - 5W30 to 10W30

7. '74 Suburban 454 V8 - Loose - 10W40 to 20W50

A rule of thumb is that synthetic oils can be one viscosity weight classification below the dino weight clasification.

If the car wants 30, give it 30. Use a good 30 (M1 5w30 would do nicely). The 40 won't likely give you any benefit for a car that was designed to run on 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back