Redline 10w40, Honda Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a second test for my Honda VTR1000.

code:

Oil RL 10w40 RL 10w40

Miles on engine 23215 29317

Miles on oil 4233 5206

Date sample taken Aug-02 Oct-03

Make -Up oil 0 0

Laboratory Dyson Blackstone

copper 4 9

iron 7 16

chrome 0 1

lead 0 4

aluminum 8 3

Tin 1 0

silicon 10 13

moly 511 600

sodium 9 15

Magnesium 20 8

zinc 1330 1315

potassium 0 17

phosphorus 1200 1226

Calcium 2440 3529

TBN 11 6.8

VIs @100C 14.3 12.9

Comments:

Wear numbers are up. Tire wear is up too. I only got 2,800 miles from my last rear tire and the current tire won't go any longer. Last year I got 3,500 miles from a rear tire (same Dunlop 207).

Viscosity is down. Who said RL won't shear?

Calcium looks higher than normal RL so I don't know what to think of that.

[ October 28, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: satterfi ]

satterfi, does your bike have a shared sump transmission? I am asking because of Honda's recommendation to not use friction modifiers in the oil. If this is working for you with a shared sump, then I will consider using RL in my Magna as I have been a fan of RL for some time now.

Tim

Could this bike possibly have a bit of coolant in the oil? Viscosity could be from fuel delution but no reading.

quote:

Wear numbers are up. Tire wear is up too.

Hmmm, more spirited riding = higher wear numbers on the engine and lower miles on tires? Makes sense to me. But in any case the latest numbers aren't bad at all, especially for 5,200 miles on an oil some say is not for extended drains. BTW, if you got 3.5k on a D 207 you did good.

quote:

2 different labs, 2 different results. I would try to use the same lab for comparisons.

Doesn't Dyson use Blackstone now for the raw numbers? What about in Aug of 2002?

As with most top-tier companies, the calcium levels have increased due to the use of a multipurpose calcium carbonate concentrates that function as detergents and secondary AW additives.

Wear numbers are up. Tire wear is up too.

Hmmm ... might they be related?
wink.gif

Seriously, were you harder on the bike this time as compared to last? Still, results from a bike with a shared sump (gearbox & motor) are pretty good.

The point about the different labs is a good one ... but I can't imagine that accounts for all the discrepancy between the results.

Still, Red Line might not be the best oil for long term (1 year) use.
dunno.gif

Chris, typically coolant causes the oil to thicken, not thin.

--- Bror Jace

There's such a big discrepancy in iron between the two runs. It's hard to chalk that up to wear alone or lab differences alone. Did you sample the same way?

Hey if your looking for a more shear stable oil go to the 15w40.

I notice the same thing with the Amsoil. The 10w40 will shear 1 grade with the wet clutch. When useing the Amsoil 15w40 it seems to stay in grade better.

I would check with RL to see if their 15w40 Diesel oil is compatible with wet clutch. Maybe let them know that in your application the oil seems to shear somewhat and your looking for a better oil without going to the power robbing 20w50. I would rather have a 10/15w 40 than a 20w50 unless the running temps were consistantly over 240 degrees.

quote:

Red Line 15W40 DIESEL ENGINE OIL: Highly resistant to thermal breakdown. Provides double the detergent and acid-neutralizing ability of conventional petroleum diesel engine oils for maximum engine cleanliness. Ideal for diesels that run high oil temperature, such as those operated in hot weather or those in light truck applications where heavy loads are carried or towed. Best choice in medium and heavy-duty diesel truck engines when maximum durability is required. When used at extended drain intervals, it is an excellent value for long-haul, fleet use

[ October 30, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Who said RL won't shear? That would be...hmm I dunno..
wink.gif

I still don't believe it is all shear. Awaiting answers to my questions. I believe the 5w40 may do this. But hey anything's possible. If you sent it to Terry and he still think's it's shear, then maybe try 15w40.

Satterfi,

If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the Redline 5w-30/5w-40/10w-40/15w-50 contain some polymeric thickener. The other grades don't appear to, based on their viscometrics. The # of VI added to synthetic multigrade oils is very low - a 0w-40 might have 1.0% VI modifier, for example and a 0w-30 might only have 0.5% ....

You can see this much variation in wear rates simply from riding harder in warmer weather. Still excellent for a bike ....

I've been waiting to reply until I got comments back from Terry.

He suspects I was riding a bit harder than last year due to the increased wear metals and the viscosity drop. Overall, the bike and oil are a good match, nothing to worry about.

sbc350gearhead good comment, I tried but Terry changed labs.

Chris and Jason Troxell

Here's the numbers I didn't post before because they were not significant to the end result.

SUS 69.4
Flashpoint 400
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubes TR

As I recall, I did warm the bike up by starting it up and letting in run in the garage, so the oil wasn't at full operating temperature for more than a minute. I'll run that by Terry. It is a carburerated engine.

Considering how much fun I had this summer and the increased tire wear to boot, I'd say things look OK. I'll trade engine wear for fun any day.

BTW, that was a typo on the Dunlop D207, I've been using D205s and most recently D220s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back