Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil 2013 Victory CC Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back my Blackstone lab report for my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour with Freedom 106 Cubic Inch engine. Oil was Redline 10w-40 Motorcycle oil. Report completed on 04/14/15. Engine currently has 40,200 miles on it as of 04/14/15.

Aluminum 2 PPM
Chromium 0 PPM
Iron 14 PPM
Copper 7 PPM
Lead 0 PPM
Tin 0 PPM
Molybdenum 465 PPM
Nickel 0 PPM
Manganese 0 PPM
Silver 0 PPM
Titanium 0 PPM
Potassium 0 PPM
Boron 14 PPM
Silicon 13 PPM
Sodium 5 PPM
Calcium 3242 PPM
Magnesium 7 PPM
Phosphorus 1601 PPM
Zinc 2140 PPM
Barium 0 PPM

Viscosity remained a 40 weight over a full 5,000 mile run.
Flashpoint 430
TBN 7.1

Shifting remained good for the entire 5,000 miles as well.

Last edited:
This just made up my mind for me. I've been wanting to run this oil in my 36' Tiara (boat) with twin 454's. Thanks for the report!! Awesome oil indeed!!

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
How many miles on the oil? This oil was still in very good condition.

Sorry I forgot to put in the mileage on that oil change. The mileage was 5,016 miles. Victory calls for 5,000 mile oil change intervals. I have stuck to that because I have the extended warranty that goes till January 2016.

Total miles on that oil change: 5,016

Total miles on engine at oil change: 39,953

The motorcycle blend will meet the JASO MA standard for wet clutches.

The auto 10w-40 may have friction modifiers that the motorcycle blend will not have as well.

Contact Redline as they can answer better. From what I understand they are pretty good about answering emails.

I have to laugh, over at the Victory forums I posted the Blackstone lab report and the usual suspects have started to come out of the woodwork with their scare stories about how if you use synthetic oil in a Victory your clutch is going to slip.

I currently after today have 40,270 miles on my Victory and 39,791 of those miles have been on full synthetic oil and I have not had any clutch slippage in those 39,791 miles. I changed out the factory semi-synthetic oil at 479 miles when I performed the 500 mile service.

The funny thing is there are just as many Victory's that run Victory brand semi-synthetic oil and the clutch has slipped as there are Victory's that have had a clutch slip using full synthetic oil.

I would bet you that the majority of those Victory's clutch's that slipped and used full synthetic oil used an automotive synthetic instead of a synthetic that met the JASO MA/MA2 standards. But the real interesting part is they always avoid talking about the Victory's that used Victory's semi-synthetic oil where the clutch slipped.

The first Victory that crossed 200,000 miles was done using full synthetic oil and the same usual suspects still discount that accomplishment.

Have you been using Red Line the whole time? I ask on account of curiosity about certain of their additive levels. Curious about how they work out over the long term. Thanks for sharing!

I started out using Castrol synthetic motorcycle oil up until 9644 miles when I made the switch to Redline motorcycle oil and have used Redline motorcycle oil for the past six oil changes covering 31,056 miles.

I used the Victory factory semi-synthetic for the first 469 miles.

The Castrol synthetic I used from the 500 mile service I did at 479 miles until 9664 miles during three oil changes changing the oil before the 5,000 oil change interval to flush out the break in particles.

These Victory engines/transmissions can take up to 15,000 miles to fully break in. The numbers relating to the additive package are stable and vary very little from each of the last six oil changes so what you see in the posted report is the additive packages after a 5,000 mile run on the oil.

Originally Posted By: RedVic
I started out using Castrol synthetic motorcycle oil up until 9644 miles when I made the switch to Redline motorcycle oil and have used Redline motorcycle oil for the past six oil changes covering 31,056 miles.

I used the Victory factory semi-synthetic for the first 469 miles.

The Castrol synthetic I used from the 500 mile service I did at 479 miles until 9664 miles during three oil changes changing the oil before the 5,000 oil change interval to flush out the break in particles.

These Victory engines/transmissions can take up to 15,000 miles to fully break in. The numbers relating to the additive package are stable and vary very little from each of the last six oil changes so what you see in the posted report is the additive packages after a 5,000 mile run on the oil.
what exactly takes so long (15k miles) to break in ?

The transmission take the longest, once you get to 15,000 miles the transmission seems to smooth out a little more. Victory transmissions are a little on the clunky side to start with but with time they do smooth out. The engine is likely through the break in process somewhere between the 2,500 to 5,000 mile mark.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
since i dont know i have to ask, the victory has a shared sump? where the hd does not.

Yes the Victory engine/transmission is a shared sump wet clutch system. That is why I have been so impressed with the Redline oil, it holds up to the abuse of a shared sump system.

No one will probably argue that Redline is not a good oil. It is probably TOO GOOD.

Your oil change costs about $85 dollars and mine about $40 for basically the same results.

Redline is actually overkill unless you extend the interval to 10000 miles.

Just saying. If your ok spending the money - Great.

Oh yea, I can get my oil at WalMart and many other places while on the road. Redline probably not.

Good oil though, just not practical for me.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
What was the viscosity?

Yes, I agree, it nice to see a copy of the full report posted from Blackstone, including the comments as the person gets it from Blackstone. For people who can not post a complete copy, it would be more helpful if they just published the numbers from Blackstone.

" Viscosity remained a 40 weight over a full 5,000 mile run"
These are not Blackstones Viscosity Numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back