Redbox Raises DVD Rental Price to $1.20/day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redbox Price Change

Another video-entertainment price increase (20%), this time from Redbox, starting 10/31. Redbox was testing out various DVD rental fees in certain markets and it looks like they have settled on $1.20/day for most DVD rentals (prices higher in MD). Blu-Ray and game prices are unchanged.

You can still get your first night for $1 by reserving online before 11/30/11.

OilNerdLicensePlateSmall.jpg

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This was inevitable given Netflix's pricing problems. Blockbuster Express will be next.

I think you're right.
frown.gif

You can still get 1.5 liters of coke to go with that movie for a dollar though!

32.gif
I still think all the brick and mortar video stores went tango uniform when people weren't paying them fees to rewind DVDs. The "mega-bank" business model.
lol.gif

You didn't really think it was going to stay a dollar did you??

-They hook you with the $1 (a la iTunes) then when (and BECAUSE) it takes off in popularity, they can raise the prices because people have already become (for lack of a better word) hooked.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
You didn't really think it was going to stay a dollar did you??

-They hook you with the $1 (a la iTunes) then when (and BECAUSE) it takes off in popularity, they can raise the prices because people have already become (for lack of a better word) hooked.

Not forever. I expected a smaller increase, though ($1.15). I think the goal was to increase revenue to capitalize on the influx of Netflix refugees, while simultaneously narrowing the gap to their Blu-Ray pricing. $1 is an important price point, psychologically. The fallout, if any, will be interesting to watch.

$1.20 is still a decent deal for new releases, but I don't think I'll be taking any extra nights, renting any "Back Again" titles, or taking chances on any unknown movies. Also, if the $1 online-reservation deal fades after 11/30, I'll probably cut down on multiple rentals.

Give Blockbuster express a try with these free codes

Blockbuster Express is offering 9 free DVD rentals until 10/31/11

Here are the codes you can use
56WHZS3
58JRTW6
68BPSP6
74JBHG9
23SGLM4
74CDJS8
34KWMR7
75DABC2
73CEHW9

before they closed i was paying $4.xx for a Blue-ray at blockbuster and $3.xx for a regular new release..

$1.00 then to $1.20 is still a smoking deal to me... selection's not the greatest, but for the savings i can deal,.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Give Blockbuster express a try with these free codes ...

Thanks for posting the codes, but unfortunately for me, there are no Blockbuster Express kiosks where I live. (Zip 12901)
frown.gif

I only use BE when I'm at my sister's place, near Niagara Falls, since it's only a 1/4 mile from her house.

I was going to post this as well. redbox raising prices due to debit card fees?! what?

from my email:

Redbox is making an announcement about its prices today, and we want to make sure that you hear it from us first.

Starting on Monday, October 31, the daily rental charge for DVDs will change to $1.20 a day.* The price change is due to rising operating expenses, including new increases in debit card fees. Daily rental charges for Blu-ray™ Discs and video games won't change.** Additional-day charges for DVDs rented before 10/31 won't be affected, either.

In order to make the transition easier, Redbox will discount the first day of all online DVD rentals to $1.00 from 10/31 through 11/30. Additional rental days will be $1.20.***

If you have any questions, please visit redbox.com/pricechange. There, we've provided additional information.

This marks our first price change in more than eight years as we work hard to keep prices low for our customers.

Thank you,

Redbox

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I was going to post this as well. redbox raising prices due to debit card fees?! what? ...

I'm not really buying the "blame the Durbin Amendment" (debit card fees) excuse, either. It's a fee hike, plain and simple.

From an article at InsideRedbox.com, the maximum debit card fee they'd possibly face is $0.21 and early numbers from Visa showed a one-cent fee for small-ticket kiosk purchases, which is way below that.

Can't post a link to the article, because some of the comments can get out of hand there, language-wise, but you can find the article there by searching "debit card fees" from their web site.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I was going to post this as well. redbox raising prices due to debit card fees?! what? ...

I'm not really buying the "blame the Durbin Amendment" (debit card fees) excuse, either. It's a fee hike, plain and simple.

From an article at InsideRedbox.com, the maximum debit card fee they'd possibly face is $0.21 and early numbers from Visa showed a one-cent fee for small-ticket kiosk purchases, which is way below that.

Can't post a link to the article, because some of the comments can get out of hand there, language-wise, but you can find the article there by searching "debit card fees" from their web site.

Im so sick of everyone blaming these new fees on rate increases. My bank already [censored] me off enough by charging me for a checking account when they are already making money off the interest.

Look at all the idiots at Starbucs paying $5 for a cup of joe -in the name of "ambiance"

...oh wait I see them at the drive through window too. $5 for a cup of coffee chugged down during rush hour. Brilliant.

If the price bothers you that much you can always find more valuable and productive ways to spend your time rather than plopping on the couch being "entertained" by a movie.

I can think of lots of ways to have fun that are far better than mindlessly watching a movie. You could go dancing. Get out and exercise. Do some volunteer work. Pick up a part time job. Pick up some classes at the local community college. See? Lots of ways to spend that time that are far better than a movie.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If the price bothers you that much you can always find more valuable and productive ways to spend your time rather than plopping on the couch being "entertained" by a movie.

I can think of lots of ways to have fun that are far better than mindlessly watching a movie. You could go dancing. Get out and exercise. Do some volunteer work. Pick up a part time job. Pick up some classes at the local community college. See? Lots of ways to spend that time that are far better than a movie.

All good stuff. Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Once the game is over, both the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Profound sig.

I think whether the watching is "mindless" or not depends on the movie and what you watch, no? Watching a good movie is not the same as staring at what's on TV all day.

or would you say reading books is also 'mindless'?

Sure; the activities you suggested are great, too, but I don't think any of those activities can replace movies/reading type of entertainment, AND vice versa: movies/books can't replace activities like exercise/dancing/volunteering.

some people who only do 'active' type of hobbies can be really mindless when it comes to a lot of things - all muscles and no brains, and can't carry on a decent conversation and never read a book, etc - i know you didn't mean it in that extreme way, but that type of mindlessness also exists.

They are both valuable types of entertainment, and we should be able to do both of them, ideally.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Look at all the idiots at Starbucs paying $5 for a cup of joe -in the name of "ambiance"

...oh wait I see them at the drive through window too. $5 for a cup of coffee chugged down during rush hour. Brilliant.

actually the coffee is under $2 but the exact amount escapes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back