Red Line vs Mobil 1 SS 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-

This has been beat to heck in a hand-basket, but which one protects better for hard-driven street applications. I am not worried about extended drain intervals, just protection. Not that it matters, but I will be changing the fluids every 5,000 miles.

Need your advice...

Thanks,

Matt

If I had to pick one.......I would go with redline for hardcore driving.
burnout.gif

i think the conventional wisdom may be Redline is better-but I'm not convinced of it. I say if you go with the 10W-30 and perhaps put in a quart of the 15W-50 M-1 there will be little-if any difference between Redline and Mobil 1. Exxon has more technology than Redline and I just think the 600 ppm of Moly is just overkill and may not be that beneficial (if at all).

Seeing how Terry Dyson see's thousands of UOA from planes, industrial equipment, POV's and Race Cars I am going to take his word on Redline. He seems to think that it is one of the best oils available in the USA. If I have understood him correctly he does not think to highly of Mobil-1 or Delvac5W40!

I have never had any problems running M1 in daily driver. I prefer 15W50 anytime the ambient temps permits!

P.S. If you are restricting this conversation to 5W30 only then do not even go near the M1 in a race type application!!! Redline only!! I would not run anything that thin though!
If you are going to abuse the engine then you really should use something like Redline, Motul, Amsoil HD and Race oil etc..... This is just my opion so take it for what it is worth!

[ October 23, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

Matt,

People always look for easy answers to these "which is the best ...?" questions.

In reality, it depends on both the metallurgy and design of the engine. There is simply NO WAY to predict if Mobil 1, Amsoil or Redline will work better in a particular engine, unless you have oil analysis or engine teardown results from a series of those motors.

Engine lubrication is an extremely complicated technical discipline, and oil formulations are generally refined by parametric testing rather than analysis. You really can't predict how a paticular additive chemistry will work in an actual engine, when exposed to the by-products of combustion.

What I'd do is run two batches of each oil, and test the second batch you run. If you see a significant difference, stick with the better performer.

Redline will most likely give you less oil consumption, but I wouldn't want to speculate beyond that.

Thanks again to everyone here. I just bought some 5W30 Red Line (new label) today, so I'll be changing it this Wednesday. After a few concurrent changes, I'll see about posting a UOA of 5W30 in a 03 GT Mustang engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back