Red Line Power Steering Fluid

Why does Red Line claim that this is a suitable replacement for Pentosin CHF11S?

Thoughts?

What do we know about CHF11S?

I don't have any problem using the CHF11s in my car, but I would like to learn more about it.

Where did they make this claim? I have read their OEM compatibility list and CHF11S isn't on there.

Here's what I know about CHF 11S. It's expensive. It's a good fluid. All the cars I have (as well as previously owned) that required it have never had an issue with the power steering system, even at high mileage ( >200k).

So Red Line may or may not claim to be compatible, but I won't bother finding out. It may be suitable if the system is dry, but I would not mix the fluids.

Years ago when some BMW's had the Pentosin fluid and some used ATF, it was a big no-no to mix them up.

Last edited:
Where did they make this claim? I have read their OEM compatibility list and CHF11S isn't on there.
It came up when I plugged my car into their product finder, and they said it would work in an email I received.

I believe their site is incorrect. I just plugged in the info for my 2009 328i, which also requires CHF-11S, and it came up with two recommendations that aren't compatible. One is their D4 ATF (listed under power steering) and the other is their power steering fluid. If you look at the OEM compatibility tab under their power steering fluid it states:

"RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron®, Dexron II®, II-E®, or Dexron III®, Ford Type-F, Mercon or M2C138-CJ such as required by Ford, AMC, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB, Subaru, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda and many others."

So I believe it isn't the correct fluid and can only assume they don't make something compatible. I'd just stick with the CHF-11S and don't forget the BMW reservoir has a filter, so that whole reservoir can be changed out fairly cheaply/easily if the fluid is really nasty.

I believe their site is incorrect. I just plugged in the info for my 2009 328i, which also requires CHF-11S, and it came up with two recommendations that aren't compatible. One is their D4 ATF (listed under power steering) and the other is their power steering fluid. If you look at the OEM compatibility tab under their power steering fluid it states:

"RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron®, Dexron II®, II-E®, or Dexron III®, Ford Type-F, Mercon or M2C138-CJ such as required by Ford, AMC, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB, Subaru, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda and many others."

So I believe it isn't the correct fluid and can only assume they don't make something compatible. I'd just stick with the CHF-11S and don't forget the BMW reservoir has a filter, so that whole reservoir can be changed out fairly cheaply/easily if the fluid is really nasty.
Yeah, it seems like an error. I’ll be doing the power steering at some point. I’ll just do a fluid change at first and see how it look. I’ll either use Pentosin CHF 11s or I might try the Liqui Moly Central Hydraulic Fluid, since it lists it as suitable.

Yeah, it seems like an error. I’ll be doing the power steering at some point. I’ll just do a fluid change at first and see how it look. I’ll either use Pentosin CHF 11s or I might try the Liqui Moly Central Hydraulic Fluid, since it lists it as suitable.
I've used both the Pentosin and the Febi with good results.

How much fluid is required to change the power steering fluid? Did you just suck it out of reservoir ?
I'd say one can of the Pentosin is good for 2 drain and fills of the reservoir. I just used a fluid pump to drain the reservoir fluid, turn the wheels back and forth, and did that a few times.

How much fluid is required to change the power steering fluid? Did you just suck it out of reservoir ?

Not sure what the manufacturer's recommended method is for your vehicle, but often it's just remove the return hose and hook up (may require a hose extension) to a container, and just turn lock to lock until it runs dry. The residual fluid is supposed to be enough to keep it from becoming damaged.

I've only done that in a couple of Honda PS units. Saw the procedure right in a factory service manual, although they had it going into a shallow dish that seemed like it would splash all over. I used an old motor oil bottle and a tube that was taped to reduce splattering it. It's kind of scary and it groans like crazy, but it gets out maybe 90% of the fluid. PS units tend to bleed out air rather quickly; it's not like brake fluid. Not sure that it would be the way for your vehicle, but it's common for most power steering system.

Back