Red Line MTL-LV for a Toyota TC?

Toyota calls for an esoteric Transfer oil LF for the 2nd gen Tundra and I might be doing a wallet flush on a friend’s 2017 model truck. It’s a 75W GL-4 oil, and the T-case is a Borg-Warner unit, not an Aisin unit found on a 4Runner/Land Cruiser or Lexus GX/LX.

I know Ravenol makes a fluid that claims suitability for Toyota t-cases, it’s the same fluid they sell for Shell TF-8070 and there was someone here using it on a 4Runner. Red Line makes a 75W MTF-LV which looks good on paper.

Has anyone used the Red Line MTF-LV in a transfer case before?

Relevant info here:

Has anyone used the Red Line MTF-LV in a transfer case before?

No, but this is an interesting question, as the Toyota fluid is very expensive. I was going to bring up a synchromesh fluid such as this, but then I found the following surprising information:
Redline PSF has the additive mix and viscosity closest to the Toyota elixr.

This is also relevant:
He’s probably talking about this precious fluid for the Transfer Case: Toyota Transfer Gear Oil 75w. 08885-81080. There are a lot of FJ, Tundra, 4Runner owners who have called [censored] and just gone with a 75w-85 or 90 gear oil and never looked back. I’m one of them

I know Ravenol makes a fluid that claims suitability for Toyota t-cases...
I presume you've seen the following thread?:

So this is the famous/infamous Toyota LF TC fluid - same as 3rd Gen (2016-2021) Tacoma Toyota requirement? (Question)

First Amsoil has no recommended fluid, and unrelated there are a lot of Toyota dealers using GL-5 75W-90! People have used a couple Redline products, some Royal Purple, etc......... and most using the Ravenol. I am not saying good, bad or indifferent - just have not seen a lot (any as in NONE) of grenading.

I have read various things (Tacoma World(?)) about the inner workings of the Tacoma TC. Like gears and chain, but one guy said some sort of unspecified synchro. If someone knows this, seems like it would go a long way to knowing what would work properly for under $20/qt

I’ll sum up what I said in those other threads. My 2016 Tundra has the same requirement. I’ve used Titan and Ravenol. Both are reasonably priced.

I got the Ravenol on Amazon. The Titan from BITOG hero JHZR2.

RAVENOL J1C1003 SAE 75W Manual Transmission Fluid - MTF-3 Full Synthetic

I presume you've seen the following thread?:
Yep - which is where I saw the Ravenol suggestion. I'm going to ask a certain BITOGer who shall not be named if Worldpac carries Fuchs.

More good info here:
From what I've read, its a 5.8-6.2cst 75w LV GL4.
Perhaps just go with the Red Line product you mentioned (see list below), or perhaps Royal Purple Synchromax, which is slightly higher viscosity? Not sure if the FMs in these products are appropriate for your application. Probably good enough.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/synchromesh-manual-transmission-lubricants.93561/post-5483404 said:
NOTE: This list is only a “suggested” list of GL-4 MTFs. ...
A.
These MTF fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as a Dexron VI) and SAE 70 or so:
1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.
4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
6. Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst @ 100°C
Redline PSF has the additive mix and viscosity closest to the Toyota elixr.

I have read various things (Tacoma World(?)) about the inner workings of the Tacoma TC. Like gears and chain, but one guy said some sort of unspecified synchro. If someone knows this, seems like it would go a long way to knowing what would work properly for under $20/qt
Hey Pablo.....I found a video on Youtube where a guy is taking apart a Toyota TC from a 2017 Tacoma 4WD and there is a Synchro in the TC. Its at 31.09mins. So, with that information, would you say that the Tacoma TC requires GL-4 grade oil and NOT GL-5?

Hey Pablo.....I found a video on Youtube where a guy is taking apart a Toyota TC from a 2017 Tacoma 4WD and there is a Synchro in the TC. Its at 31.09mins. So, with that information, would you say that the Tacoma TC requires GL-4 grade oil and NOT GL-5?

GREAT VIDEO. Thank you. (NICE first post)

Maybe not that simple, but indeed I would NEVER use a GL-5 gear oil in this TC. I would not immediately say it requires a GL-4 either.

I run Amsoil MTF in mine. Every working just fine after a few years.

GREAT VIDEO. Thank you. (NICE first post)
Thank you! Getting a crash course in this stuff as I have oil changes coming up!
Maybe not that simple, but indeed I would NEVER use a GL-5 gear oil in this TC. I would not immediately say it requires a GL-4 either.
What about a GL-4 grade MT fluid like the Red Line MT-LV?
I run Amsoil MTF in mine. Every working just fine after a few years.
Is that a GL-5 or GL-4 grade?

Have your current OEM fluid analyzed to determine it's actual 100C viscosity before selecting any fluid.
As I mentioned here:

Most later model TC's require a Dex III/Merc or similar type fluid but there are exceptions.

For example, my 2012 Frontier TC specs NissanMatic D (Dex III/Merc) a 7.5cSt@100C fluid, whereas the TC in my 2015 PathFinder specs a GL-5 75W90 an ~ 16cSt diffy lube.

Earlier Toyota TC's required a 75W90 GL-5 75W90 an ~ 16cSt diffy lube.

So please have your current OEM TC fluid analyzed to determine it's viscosity before selecting a TC replacement fluid,

BTW The OE manual for the 2019 Taco says SAE 75W.
But what does that mean in terms of the actual 100C viscosity.

A 75W can vary between 4.5 cSt and 7.0 cSt.

For example, Valvoline TC fluid has a viscosity very near 5.9 cSt.

Redline MT-LV has a 6.5 cSt viscosity

and they are Both considered to be in the SAE Gear oil 75W range.

Have your current OEM fluid analyzed to determine it's actual 100C viscosity before selecting any fluid.

Last edited:
But what does that mean in terms of the actual 100C viscosity.

A 75W can vary between 4.5 cSt and 7.0 cSt.

For example, Valvoline TC fluid has a viscosity very near 5.9 cSt.

Redline MT-LV has a 6.5 cSt viscosity

and they are Both considered to be in the SAE Gear oil 75W range.

Not disagreeing with you. It will be interesting.

Just making statements here: I THINK the Toyota dealer bottle is in the 5-6cSt range. Amsoil MTF is in the 9 cSt range and works perfectly. People are using Mobil 75W-90 and not having problems engaging or disengaging. Fairly wide tolerance.

Back