Red Line for Cleaning

I've read that some folks use Red Line oils for cleaning their engines, that the esters in the oil help dissolve sludge and gunk. Is there truth to this, that Red Line can help clean an engine? My engine seems to be in pretty decent shape (Camry 2.5, 81K on the engine), and I was wondering if adding a quart or two of Red Line at my next change would have a beneficial effect? Any deleterious effects?

I've read that some folks use Red Line oils for cleaning their engines, that the esters in the oil help dissolve sludge and gunk. Is there truth to this, that Red Line can help clean an engine? My engine seems to be in pretty decent shape (Camry 2.5, 81K on the engine), and I was wondering if adding a quart or two of Red Line at my next change would have a beneficial effect? Any deleterious effects?
If it's imaginary cleaning then any oil can do that.

Here are a couple other threads though on this topic with various sundry claims of cleaning:

I use a dab of mobile 1 for cleaning sticker glue from things. Petro-products can be used to clean with. The engine cleaner they sell in spray cans smells like kerosene. inside the engine is no different

Motor oil is a lubricant, not a cleaning solvent.
not really true, as stated Esters do clean, and condition seals, i would switch to full syn, my choice would be M1 install cheap filter to collect junk, remove after 2000 and replace with cheap, top up oil, do again and then install good filter, note oil is not drained.

They actually manufacture ester based oils to do exactly what you are describing. High ester content and a full sump of it for an interval. This decarbonizes the ring lands and domes off of the pistons on heavy duty diesel engines. I imagine it will also dissolve any varnish present too. Red Line oil may help. Probably not needed in a well maintained gasoline engine.

Last edited: