Red line 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
There doesn't seem to be to much talk about Red line , is it because of the price, or is it not all that impressive as far as performance goes? I am considering switching over to the 5w30 in the engine, so far I have used their gear and tranny oils and I think they are very good products. From what I have read on their website and on the web in general , the 5w30 seems to be quite impressive.Any thuoghts?

it's something many of us have been pondering I think. I am certainly thinking of using this oil next, but I am also wanting to try Schaeffers oil as well, so I may eventually try both.

Ive said this a few times, that on paper Redline looks to be the best engineered oil one can buy. Everything you read about it seems to indicate the best quality base oils and very robust additive package - why wouldn't it work well. Plus a ton of well respected race teams swear by the oil, they must know something.

The dilemma as I see it is that oil analysis tests we've seen sometimes show some amounts of wear metals that seem to be a tad high, such as lead, and aluminum. It has been explained that much of the metals are probably being cleaned up within the engine by Redline;s superior cleansing properties. How accurate is this assumption ?, no one really knows, and we dont see too many oil analysis tests of secondary or third Redline intervals on the same engine. If we saw more Redline tests in succession it would be very helpful. I guess the high price doesn't help things.

It seems to be a great oil, but it would be nice to see more real world testing of the product. I think their 5w-30 oil has some great properties, and would be more than adequate in any modern engine. They apparently have a 5w-20 oil now but I am not sure how that stacks up. If I proceed to use Redline I will probably try the 5w-30 vis. . Terry Dyson seems to be a big fan of Redline oil based on his exeperience in analysis testing of the oils, which got me thinking that it might be worthwhile trying out.

Redline must be one of the top 3 at least in quality I would think. I'm using their 10/40 synthetic oil and their racing transmission fluid in my classic Mustang. You're right there is the price. The stuff is gold by the time I get it to my door here. You will find lots of supporting information here and elsewhere with regards to the quality their products. I am sure that the 5/30 will give you good results.

Redline is one of the best oils out there, but unfortunately it's insanely expensive in Canada. Anywhere from $17 to $20 per quart! I'd love to try it out in my car sometime, but only if Redline would send me some free oil.
smile.gif

I'm working with a guy in TO who may be able to get me Redline for $14 a bottle, taxes included. If it comes through it may be the cheapest that I have found it, but still expensive compared to other oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
I'm working with a guy in TO who may be able to get me Redline for $14 a bottle, taxes included. If it comes through it may be the cheapest that I have found it, but still expensive compared to other oils.

Even at $14, it's still way more than I ever want to pay for oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
Ive said this a few times, that on paper Redline looks to be the best engineered oil one can buy. Everything you read about it seems to indicate the best quality base oils and very robust additive package - why wouldn't it work well. Plus a ton of well respected race teams swear by the oil, they must know something.

The dilemma as I see it is that oil analysis tests we've seen sometimes show some amounts of wear metals that seem to be a tad high, such as lead, and aluminum. It has been explained that much of the metals are probably being cleaned up within the engine by Redline;s superior cleansing properties. How accurate is this assumption ?, no one really knows, and we dont see too many oil analysis tests of secondary or third Redline intervals on the same engine. If we saw more Redline tests in succession it would be very helpful. I guess the high price doesn't help things.

It seems to be a great oil, but it would be nice to see more real world testing of the product. I think their 5w-30 oil has some great properties, and would be more than adequate in any modern engine. They apparently have a 5w-20 oil now but I am not sure how that stacks up. If I proceed to use Redline I will probably try the 5w-30 vis. . Terry Dyson seems to be a big fan of Redline oil based on his exeperience in analysis testing of the oils, which got me thinking that it might be worthwhile trying out.

I think I pretty much agree here. My thought is that it provides protection maybe a notch above PAO's due to the higher temp ability and increased moly. Supposedly it has quieted piston slap so that would be some evidence. Still I am not really sure that it will be any better or even as good in an extended drain application. And thats mandatory for me. Another thing that concerns me here is the fact that esters are not as good at handling water. We just have not seen enough information/analysis.

One last thing is that over extended drain intervals the additive that they use to equalize seal swell may break down and cause a seal leak
crushedcar.gif
(mere speculation).
dunno.gif

Redline $7.95/qt at Summit Racing

Free shipping, one time handling fee of $7.95 per order.

That ends up $8.61/qt if you buy 12. Of course this is for US prices. I don't know about Canada.

I used to use RL 5w30 until I found out about Amsoil. Their 5w30 (ASL) seems to have pretty good specs compared to RL (higher 100°C vis, higher VI, lower 40° vis, lower pour point and a high TBN). ASL goes for $5.85/qt and the best price I've seen for RL is $7/qt. Since cost is not as big an issue with me (I only do two oil changes a year on two cars), I went with Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 which has even better specs than their 5w30.
I do however use RL ATF and P/S fluid in my GM car, my other car is an Acura so I'm stuck with using OEM ATF and P/S fluid. Both cars get RL WaterWetter and SI-1.

I agree that RL is an excellent choice for synthetic oil but check out Amsoil too.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Redline $7.95/qt at Summit Racing

Free shipping, one time handling fee of $7.95 per order.

That ends up $8.61/qt if you buy 12. Of course this is for US prices. I don't know about Canada.

By the time we shipped something like that up here it would easily end up costing us close to $20 per quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back