Red Line 5w30, 4000 miles, 2008 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the second UOA on this car. I went Stage 2 (turbo-back exhaust upgrade and ECU reflash to 16 psi boost) last October. I'm happy to see there's no detrimental effects of the modifications to this point. I switched to Red Line after the first UOA (Royal Purple) and I'm glad I did. I'm convinced that world peace could be achieved if everyone used Red Line.

Air Filter: Cosworth
Oil Filter: K&N
Make Up Oil: none (and no oil used)

Info presented is as follows:

Oil Used: Red Line Royal Purple (5w30)
miles on oil: 4,000 3,300
miles on unit: 22,000 6,207
Sample Date: 07/26/09 03/11/08

(red line/RP/universal averages)
Aluminum 2/7/4
Chromium 1/1/1
Iron 7/11/9
Copper 2/6/9
Lead 0/1/4
Tin 2/1/0
Moly 661/181/58
Nickel 0/0/0
Manganese 0/1/1
Silver 0/0/0
Titanium 0/0/0
Potassium 3/3/2
Boron 25/25/44
Silicon 17/24/13
Sodium 19/9/16
Calcium 2552/2260/2287
Magnesium 9/1053/165
Phosphorus 1122/782/731
Zinc 1448/887/889
Barium 0/0/0

SUS viscosity @ 210F 60.5 (RP was 53.1)
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 10.36(RP was 8.22)
Flashpoint 395 (RP was 365)
Fuel % coolant 0
water 0
Insolubles 0.3

Blackstone comments: Nice improvement in wear and silicon. This drop is a very good sign that your Subaru is well
past wear-in now and free of any mechanical problems. The physical condition of the oil was better as well.
The viscosity was normal for a 5W/30 oil and the flashpoint was fine, so fuel dilution isn't an issue anymore.
Silicon still reads a little compared to averages, though this is not a problem. Red Line oil uses some silicon
as an anti-foam additive, so this isn't form dirt. No coolant was found and low insolubles show good oil
filtration. Nice report at 22,000 total miles.

I'll be staying with OCIs no longer than 4000 miles.

Looks very good. Great oil for this car.

Break-in could have a lot do to with these results. The RP was used during break-in.

Why are you sticking with only 4,000 miles? We don't have a TBN here but with those good numbers I would think a 6,000 mile is doable.

Although my warranty is more than likely voided due to the modifications, Subaru recommends 3750 mile OCIs in the 2.5 liter turbos due to potential clogging of a screen located in the banjo bolt that secures an oil supply line to the turbo. And becuase the engine is modified, I like the added security of a shorter OCI.

Oh yes. I forgot about your car being newer and under warranty.

Is that recommended or required?

Originally Posted By: MtZion
Although my warranty is more than likely voided due to the modifications, Subaru recommends 3750 mile OCIs in the 2.5 liter turbos due to potential clogging of a screen located in the banjo bolt that secures an oil supply line to the turbo. And becuase the engine is modified, I like the added security of a shorter OCI.

I would wager the chance of coking or sludging with Redline is virtually nil. That's one of the big advantages to those POE basestocks, superior high temp deposit control.

The Warranty and Maintenance Booklet states that vehicles used in severe conditions should have their oil and filter changed every 3750 miles and that all turbo charged vehicles are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions.

nice report, I am running same oil in my S4 for the first time as well. I will run it longer than 4k miles though and so should you...

I would say 7500 miles would be easily achievable and a nice oci for this oil.

heck in my last UOA I have run GC for 5K with 4 track days and TBN still came back at 5.9
25.gif

Last edited:
Very nice....I might have give Redline 5w30 a go on the next oil fill. When did you change out the FF in your 08? I did mine at 840 miles and then I just put in PYB for another short OCI (not because of the whole dino vs syn for breaking in) but more of a "I want to do short OCI initially to flush out break in particulate etc so cheap (but good) dino will satisfy that, but I was thinking Amsoil 0w30 or Redline 5w30 syn for after this one.

How are the 08/09 WRXs doing in terms of consumption? Anyone know?

09rexwagon,

I changed out the FF at approximately 2900 miles on the ODO. Royal Purple recommended waiting at least 1700 (I think) miles before switching. I believe the Red Line bottle recommends waiting 3000 after break in to switch to theirs (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Yeah that plus the fact I want to do 2 short OCIs at first, so I just PYB 5w30 in for this second one and then come 2.5-3k on the ODO I'll switch over to Redline 5w30.

Where you getting Redline from? The only local place I can find it, it is 11.75/qt plus tax, but cases are $120 on amazon, no tax, no shipping so $10/qt is good.

I order it from Summit Racing. With the filter it totals about $70 with shipping. I believe they have a distribution center in Ohio so I get it the next day via UPS ground.

Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
Where you getting Redline from? The only local place I can find it, it is 11.75/qt plus tax, but cases are $120 on amazon, no tax, no shipping so $10/qt is good.

Someone here on BITOG reported that ogracing.com sells it for $8.20 delivered if you buy by the case. If you look at racer parts wholesale website they will deliver for $9.20/qt when purchased by the case.

Thanks for the heads up on ogracing. It works out to 9.14 delivered for me since the delivery fee is based on zip code, so the other person must be close. Still a great deal.

Wait I take that back. The case price is 98.45 for Redline 5w30. BUT shipping is free for more than $100 orders. So I put a case plus a qt in my cart and it works out to $8.26/qt....pretty [censored] good.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon

Someone here on BITOG reported that ogracing.com sells it for $8.20 delivered if you buy by the case. If you look at racer parts wholesale website they will deliver for $9.20/qt when purchased by the case.

saaber1, thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted By: MtZion
The Warranty and Maintenance Booklet states that vehicles used in severe conditions should have their oil and filter changed every 3750 miles and that all turbo charged vehicles are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions.

Pencil whip it. Use your imagination..its not difficult.

8k intervals here!
55.gif

I also don't think you need to be concerned with your turbo oil screen getting clogged with RedLine, but it's your car and your money. Although I do think you're wasting good oil.

I always thought lead was supposed to be high with the first use of RedLine. That's what I recall from some previous uoa's.
21.gif

-Dennis

I get my Redline from Carquest, about $8.50 per quart, delivered same or next day. Carquest is owned by one of the largest distributors in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back