Red Line 5W30 23,249 miles 2004 Toyota Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Toyota Sequoia 4.7L V8 2UZ-FE 212,657 miles.
Red Line 5W30 oil 7.33 quarts fill sampled at 23,249 miles.
2.66 quarts make-up oil added.
Fleetguard LF9028 filter with improvised external filter magnet.
New Toyota air filter installed at 192,176 miles.

Oil in service for 11 months of local New England driving - mostly short trips of 5 to 20 miles plus some road trips and infrequent towing of 3,500 to 4,500 lbs trailer.

Blackstone comments: "You've got a really nice sample here! Wear metals are impressively low for 23,000+ miles on the oil. We’re not sure how you’re doing it, but dang! This engine looks great. There was just a little silicon in this sample, but with wear metals looking good, we're really not too concerned about it. Check the air filter for leaks or problems just in case, but we doubt this is abrasive contamination. The viscosity was a bit thick for a 5W/30, but insolubles are low, so we doubt excess heat is a problem. The TBN was fine at 1.9. This oil should be fine for more use."

Aluminum 1
Chromium 0
Iron 9
Copper 4
Lead 1
Tin 4
Molybdenum 416
Nickel 1
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 4
Boron 18
Silicon 24
Sodium 34
Calcium 2374
Magnesium 19
Phosphorus 924
Zinc 1047
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity at 210F 82.4
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 16.12
Flashpoint in F 425
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 1.9

Last edited:
I have had samples done for others on Amsoil going out pretty long like you did. They were not bad.

Yours looks pretty good for that amount of miles. I have been going out to the mid teens on Amsoil for years now. 227k miles on my engine. It was very clean the last time I did valve cover, timing, and oil pan gaskets changes.

I need to do another sample though.

Keep it up.

wow! is this your first UOA on this engine?
it thickened out of grade, so yes, there is some oxidation happening, but still impressive, especially the wear metals.

Third UOA on this engine. Both the others are posted here.

I think the slightly high silicon was due to the new air filter. Old air filters filter better than new air filters.

I'm going to drain this oil soon. Will have about 25,000 miles on it at that point. I do oil changes once a year.

Last edited:
Wow this oil run is totally inspiring me to change my oil on the Fit in the Spring and running Pennzoil Ultra SN 5W20 for a solid year, about 20,000 kilometers. Thanks for the helpful post!

That oil oxidized/thickened a lot...maybe there is sludge in the engine and the wear metals are stuck to the sludge
wink.gif

I've run Redline 5w30 for up to 8000 miles, and it always thickens up, but not to the extent that this sample did. It's almost to the top of the 40 range. Blackstone should have said something about that. TBN seems OK, but it would be nice to see TAN, Oxidation, and Nitration numbers. The virgin Redline oil analysis that I had done a few years ago showed Oxidation of 108, which is much higher than other oils. But in use, the Oxidation number didn't increase much, even with track day usage.

I can't remember anyone running Redline for that long of an OCI.

I'll have a sample in a month or so of Red Line 0w-30 at about 150k and 10 or 11K on the interval on my 4Runner. I'll be interesting to see what it looks like.

Thanks for the report, seems like 20k is an easy stretch for the 4.7L. I remember you using Donaldson P169071's, why the switch to the FG?

ETA: Nvm, found your thread on TundraSolutions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
That oil oxidized/thickened a lot...maybe there is sludge in the engine and the wear metals are stuck to the sludge
wink.gif

Probably. I guess this engine likes sludge as it runs like new at 212,000+ miles and with 15,000+ mile OCIs for well over 100,000 miles.

I'm thinking I ran this oil a bit too long though. All in the interest of science of course.

Originally Posted By: mibro

I'm thinking I ran this oil a bit too long though. All in the interest of science of course.

thumbsup2.gif

Yikes. Almost too good to believe (but I do believe you) considering the miles on the vehicle and the # miles on the OCI.

Again shows that TBN is a waste of $. (IMHO). But I am glad you did it in this case!!

Thanks for posting.

wink.gif

Good point, for me personally, I wouldnt want to be the second owner of this truck.:eek:)

wink.gif

Not necessarily, depending on a oil pan size. European trucks are on a 80-100 k OCI with PAO/group III oils. I know it isn't direct comparison, but there are oils and application that can do some quite long intervals.

OP ; great engine and results. Pleasure to read.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT36043.pdf

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/lube/venturi_combo.html

Baldwin BD7317
Donaldson ELF7349(now called DBL)

The 4.7 doesn't wear much.
The make-up oil kept TBN in check.

Seriuos filtration but Fleetguard PN and competitor spec's ==== superb.
How is this filter mounted? remote mount with built in bypass? or simple adapter on OE filter mount threads? Was the filter used the entire 23k run?

I would try 30k but use a 0w20 or 5w20 for top-offs. Was Redline 5w30 used for top offs?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
How is this filter mounted? remote mount with built in bypass? or simple adapter on OE filter mount threads? Was the filter used the entire 23k run?

Filter mounted in stock location with a thread adapter. You get 5 micron bypass filtration without the hassle of additional plumbing. That shows in the 0.2% insolubles after 23K miles. Filter in use for 23K miles and I have no doubt it has the capacity to run much longer.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
I would try 30k but use a 0w20 or 5w20 for top-offs. Was Redline 5w30 used for top offs?

Good suggestions. Yes, 5W30 was used for makeup oil.

I do think the OCI could be pushed out further but I'm in uncharted territory as is. You can see how people react to a 23K OCI - my engine must be hiding the sludge somewhere apparently. I'm right at the edge of my comfort zone also. I think one oil change a year with this kind of mileage is infrequent enough, though I do have a Toyota Tundra that's driven a lot less which gets an oil change once every two years.

Last edited:
I'll make one other comment. I listen carefully to the sounds my engines make and the 2UZ-FE will start to make a little top end noise towards the end of an oil run. In fact if I can hear any valve train noise I know it's time to change the oil. It seems to me that the 2UZ-FE makes less valve train noise with Red Line oil than with Mobil or Pennzoil and at 23K miles is still very quiet and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back