Red Line 5W30 10k Miles (2nd Run) 2004 Volvo S60

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject line states, this is the 2nd run of Red Line 5W30 in my S60. The link to the first UOA can be found here.

Before going any further I would like to point out why I am running Red Line as some comments in the previous UOA posted centered around Red Line's return on investment:
* Fuel mileage has increase by approximately .5 to 1 MPG over previous runs including GC and M1 AFE.
* The engine is much quieter at idle, down from what was a noisy valve train in my opinion.
* I like supporting a small, independent US business with my money. I feel I give enough money to big oil with the fuel bill that they aren't going to suffer from my move away from the off the shelf brands.

I envision certain aspects of this report are going to cause some lively conversations, that I should dial back intervals, etc. Let me be clear - this car is well out of warranty and long paid off. That being said I am open to comments and questions.

My notes on the vehicle and oil run below:
* Sump Capacity is 6 quarts
* Driving is 80% Highway / 20% City
* Fuel is Top Tier whenever possible which is a majority of the time during this run (Shell)
* Warm up period for the engine on cold start is typically 15 seconds until idle drops, then very easy driving until up to temperature when the car is driven spiritedly.
* Currently filled with Red Line 0W30 for the winter months, I plan on running for another 10k miles and resampling. After this I'll stick with 10k intervals assuming wear picks up and forego UOA.

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS: As far as the wear metals go, the results from this latest test for your S60 look as good as ever, with steady wear metals and no signs of mechanical issues as far as we can see. The sample was also free of harmful contaminants like fuel, dirt, or moisture, and the level of insolubles was low, showing good oil filtration. The viscosity was high, but that's not really a serious concern, since we don't see any obvious cause for it, and it doesn't appear to have affected wear. The oil was out of active additive, though (TBN = 0.0), so stick with 10,000 miles for now. Not bad!

Code:

OIL Red Line 5W30

MILES IN USE 10,062

MILES 136,143

SAMPLE TAKEN 08/10/2013

MAKE UP OIL 0.5 QT

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 16

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 737

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 41

SILICON 9

SODIUM 15

CALCIUM 2810

MAGNESIUM 48

PHOSPHORUS 1239

ZINC 1206

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES % 0.3

FUEL %
WATER % 0

ANTIFREEZE % 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 400

SUS VIS 210ºF 65.5

cSt @ 210ºF 11.74

TBN 0.0

Owning the car that you drive makes it easier to justify a rigorous maintenance schedule. My wife drove an 850 Turbo wagon that was on course to carry us both to our graves but got wiped out in an accident on the freeway. The car did it's job and my wife was unhurt but the car was done for. It looks like Red Line is doing a good job for you and I would not change anything.

Excellent report! Does redline have sodium in their add pack? Or is that residual from previous fills?

Well I'm less concerned about its long drain ability. Time will tell. Redline is my favourite brand of oil. I wish I could afford it.

I find this interesting. This is the second or third UOA on Red Line where the TBN came out literally at 0.0. Yet, everything else looks fine.

I'd be really curious to see what the TAN looks like, and how it might compare to the VOA TAN of this oil.

^ true.

Not bad at all. I wouldn't be too concerned about the TBN, because there is no oxidation present based on the viscosity. However, I would go too much further or you risk premature varnish/deposit build up.

Looks good, pretty high Z/P, excellent flash, oxidation in check as mentioned, though esters tend to oxidize (thicken) slowly and progressively, not catastrophically like some other base/PI blends.

Good show on the moral front too
thumbsup2.gif

Why not just run a syn like Penn Ultra that will more than likely make it to 10k without losing it's TBN?

Edit: I see your logic.....well, Amsoil is a little guy and they are into selling extended drain oils? Have you used any of their stuff?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors
Excellent report! Does redline have sodium in their add pack? Or is that residual from previous fills?

I believe so, my previous UOA listed the same value (9 PPM), and the UOA prior to that of M1 0W30 AFE registered lower (3 PPM).

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Good show on the moral front too

Appreciate it! Politicians on either side aren't going to do anything about the situation but point fingers while they get rich so I want to try and do my part. I believe we vote with how we spend our money, something I am always trying to be conscious of.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Why not just run a syn like Penn Ultra that will more than likely make it to 10k without losing it's TBN?

Edit: I see your logic.....well, Amsoil is a little guy and they are into selling extended drain oils? Have you used any of their stuff?

I have used PU almost exclusively in my GF's Civic since new and it is an excellent oil as a UOA I sent in showed. I have since moved the car over to Red Line in the motor and trans and been very happy with the results, no UOA to back that up yet though.

I did have a run of Amsoil 0W30 SSO about 4 years and 80k miles ago according to my records. Ran it for almost 9k miles but no UOA was performed to validate how it performed.

I respect Amsoil and certainly think it's a step in the right direction, but correct me if I'm wrong they are using hydrocracked crude, aren't they? Red Line is Group V so nothing coming out of the ground and the politics that goes with it. Not trying to start a flame war, just my understanding of it and how my preferences align.

UOA looks pretty good. I like your reasoning for using Redline products as well. I'm a huge proponent of Moly, the only reason I don't exclusively use Redline is price. However, I love their products!

Originally Posted By: btanchors
I find this interesting. This is the second or third UOA on Red Line where the TBN came out literally at 0.0. Yet, everything else looks fine.

Yeah, a buddy of mine ran 14k miles on Redline 0w20 with the same results. TBN gone, but with the exception of an unrelated issue with air filtration, everything else seemed fine. He's since switched to Amsoil's signature 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back