BARIUM 0

SUS Visc@210F 56.7

Flash 425F

Fuel
Antifreeze 0.0%

Water 0.0%

Insolubles 0.4%

TBN 2.6

This thing has likely been leaking coolant from day one. First repair was temporary an devoloped in to major leak with 257ppm Potasium and a positive on antifreeze on last UOA @72000miles.
I think I have it fixed this time. The repair was done about 8000miles ago. Hopefully the lead is just from past effects.

LC and FP used also. So I'm thinking something is still going on with insolubles at that level still.

The virgin Redline 5w-20 had the following values:

Si 11ppm
B 0
Na 25
K 25

With these virgin values, it's tough to get a read on whether your car still has the coolant leak or "residuals" from the leak.

I think I would either send in a virgin sample of redline 5w-20 and try again, or use an oil with a "simpler" add pack, and see how that looks.

Sorry for the confusion, it was at 72,000 miles, the drain was 9.7k on the oil. As for lead, you don't want to know
freak2.gif

Lead PPM was 74. But at least tin was 0. as I said, potassium was 257 and tested positive on antifreeze.
Maybe I can post the whole thing if I get time.

Haha
lol.gif
Well I want to at least get this piece of junk stabilized first. TBN is too low, it wasn't that much lower in the past after 9k miles. Insolubles was also less than that after 9k. And no LC with those. Something's going on.
That is the problem with people changing oils before they have a stable trend. Then they say such and such oil, or a certain viscosity fixed it.

Oh BTW I did do a full ARX treatment, dino rinse and all before this. Which is why I am suspicious of some leakage still. Or maybe I'm lucky and it's just still 'rinsing'. After leaking coolant for so long probably takes some time.
dunno.gif

[ September 02, 2005, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

Good enough. I'm considering putting Mobil1 5W20 in my wife's 05 Chevy Uplander in October for use in the winter. It see's mostly short trips and with the price of gas it might up the MPG a little bit.Or I might stick with the recomended 5W30. Or go with 0W30. Can't decide.I like the idea of using 5W20 in applications that don't actually call for it since they seem to work pretty well most of the time.That's why I asked.

Curious are you running Dex-Cool? Where was the leak from on your L67? Was the temp fix the GM tabs?

Yes on the DexCool. I don't believe DexCool is an issue.
The leak was the lower intake manifold gasket.
First fix I replaced intake gasket. Took some extra precautions second time and got gasket from GM dealer. All three looked different, OE, first replacement and one from dealer
gr_stretch.gif

Jason, what is the "usual" insolubles level for you with this car? I guess I thought it seemed a little high here, too. Are you thinking the insolubles are from something leftover being cleaned out, or some other reason?

Well it was the same, with 4000 more miles on it and I used LC this time. That's what I was thinking in my post above. Next UOA should be much better.

I'm not sure how effective LC20 will be on this type of deposit, you may have to use something even stronger like a kerosene based engine flush to remove most of the deposit. I think these residual sludge deposits in solution are the reason for your elevated total solids level.

I'd suggest using LC20 @ 16 ounces and doing a 30 minute flush with the engine in neutral and running at two times the normal idle speed. Then go back to using Redline by itself and see how that does. Coolant induced sludge has a consistency like black grease and is not easily removed from inside the engine.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back