Red Line 5w-20 11,000 miles Chevy Suburban 5.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

Both of these runs were with RL 5w-20. The first was 10,000 miles and the second was 11,000.

Wayne

70,000 81,000
Aluminum 4 4
Chromium 1 0
Iron 15 21
Copper 33 36
Lead 10 15
Tin 1 1
Moly 361 488
Nickel 1 1
Manganese 0 5
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 0 1
Boron 9 9
Silicon 17 17
Sodium 13 17
Calcium 1932 2394
Magnesium 8 10
Phosphorus 841 1005
Zinc 960 1165
Barium 0 0

SUS Vis 57.9 57.3
Flash Point 390 410
Fuel Antifreeze 0 0
Water 0 0
Insolubles 0.5 0.3

Looks good especialy for 5W20 and the milage on the sample!!! Would you consider trying Redline 5W40 in this application?

The viscosity of this oil after 11,000 miles is 9.44 cSt , which is incredible. (9.1 cSt new) Flash Point is 410F which is also very good. What did they say about the Pb? Excellent report.

Quote:

Looks good especialy for 5W20 and the milage on the sample!!! Would you consider trying Redline 5W40 in this application?

5w-40 is just way to thick for my blood. Winter is coming and I don't feel like having 90wt oil circulating in my engine.

Wayne

Quote:

The viscosity of this oil after 11,000 miles is 9.44 cSt , which is incredible. (9.1 cSt new) Flash Point is 410F which is also very good. What did they say about the Pb? Excellent report.

Blackstone said the Pb was too high. I was having a problem with fuel dilution caused by a bad spark plug wire. I'll bet it will be better at the next sample.

Wayne

81,000 when the sample was taken. This engine runs a high speed trip from Chicagoland to LA every summer. I'd say there is at least 1,500 miles of sprinting at 75mph+ in 105-115 heat.

Wayne

I disagree with blackstone on the lead. 1-1.5ppm per 1000 miles is good for this engine. If you take into account that 5W20 is not recomended for use in this engine it looks even better. I wounder how an of the shelf 5W20 would do in this application. Redlines 5W20 has a higher HTHS then some 5W30 and 10W30 oils. Just so you know a 5W40 is not going to be a 90W in the sump! I ran Redline 5W40 through and entire Michigan winter even had a cold start at -18°F with no issues at all. M1 0W40 worked well dureing the winter as well. My UOA's are onthe site and they look fine if any damage had been done it would have shown up.

I think a bunch of thick guys ran for the door!
smile.gif
Yeah too bad about the sp wire....

Quote:

Just so you know a 5W40 is not going to be a 90W in the sump!

John,

I regularly measure the oil temp at the oil filter in the summer and winter with my IR thermometer. The oil in my Suburban rarely exceeds 165F in the months of Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb. What is the viscosity (you must also account for the VI) of a 40wt oil at 165F? The answer is 'way to thick for me'.

Wayne

How long does it take you to put 10k on this thing?

It looks like bearing wear is starting to creep up in the second sample, so I'd guess the TBN is pretty low. Nice stable viscosity in both samples....

TS

Tbn would have been nice. Is it's the same lab for both UOAs and is this the first 2 RL intervals? I ask because the additives are lower and insolubles are higher in the first sample. Uptake and cleaning?

Quote:

Quote:

Just so you know a 5W40 is not going to be a 90W in the sump!

John,

I regularly measure the oil temp at the oil filter in the summer and winter with my IR thermometer. The oil in my Suburban rarely exceeds 165F in the months of Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb. What is the viscosity (you must also account for the VI) of a 40wt oil at 165F? The answer is 'way to thick for me'.

Wayne

How does this math work??? You claim a 5w-40 (5 WINTER - SAE 40) oil flows like a SAE 90 oil @ 165f? I think not.

Thats thicker than gear oil at temp, and to an engine at operated temp and would be like pumping sludge. If your math were true, 5w-30 oil flows like a SAE 80 or even SAE 70 @ 165f? Are you then saying that 5w-40 oil wont flow like a SAE 40 oil at temp until it hits 212f???

Care to explain your math/opinion with some back up info? Casue I have issues with these statements, and in 20 years have never heard anyone make a statement like that.

Unless, I am totaly misunderstanding...its why I'm asking for more explaintion and back up.

Rincon - I think someone was just being sarcastic with the SAE 90 quip. I think a simpler statement would have been:

An XW-40 is probably a bit too viscous at my operating temperatures.

Thats what I thought at first too Pablo. But the more I read it, the less it appeared to be. IDK. So I asked, and added statements to explain my questioning. I guess we'll see.

I guess my little Toyota must be made be made of tougher stuff then his Big Suburban because it had no problems with RL 5W40. First the temp got down below -23°F all night long and when it was time to head out to church it had warmed up to -18°F. It fired up with one crank and ran like a top with no indications of distress at all.Imagine that a 5W40 acting like a 5W in cold weather "Brillant"!Now I will confess I do not take my vechiles temp. ever! If it cranks up fine, does not sound like a box of silver ware hiting the floor and is not leaveing elevated wear metals in the oil I think everything is all good!

So have you considered trying one of the over the counter 5W20's? I would be pleasantly suprised to see any of the regular 5W20's like Havoline,Chevron,Castrol GTX,Valvoline or MotorCraft do so well.

Let calculate the viscosity of red Line 5w-40 at 165F.
Viscosity calculator
15.1 @ 100 C and VI of 170 would give a 28.07 cSt viscosity at 165F. That would put it in the middle of the 140 weight gear oil, well above a 50 weight motor oil.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not a Lubrication Engineer, so I don’t exactly understand those calculations and how they can figure the viscosity of any "multi-weight" oil at any temp. In fact, the results posted defy all common sense and understanding of how multi weight motor oil works.

Why would a 5w-40 oil flow as a SAE 50 at ANY temp? That makes absolutely no sense. Using these "calculations", are you then saying 5w-40 oils do not reach peak efficiency until 100c, when they finally flow as a spec SAE 40 at 100c/212f? And if oil temp doesnt hit 212f, then we'll the oil will flow less than a SAE 40...you claim its SAE 50 @ 165f?

If all oils behave as you calculate, we're losing MPG's because the oil is thicker than spec'd on the bottle.

IMO, a 5w-40 oil will NEVER flow as anything less than a SAE 40 at any temp. 5w-30, would never flow less than a SAE 30 at any temp...you get the point. Thats the basis of the numbering system on the bottle, isnt it???

Are you saying bunk to the numbers printed on the bottle based on an equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back